Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do you pay for a 1000 mile service  (Read 1346 times)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
Do you pay for a 1000 mile service
« on: September 27, 2008, 07:56:12 PM »

Just wondering how many of you change your own fluids/do your own service?  I have never been overly impressed with anything that I get back from the dealers.  Seems to me they are in a hurry, tend to scratch paint, over grease stearing heads so that you get to clean the left fork for the next year from the grease that melts down it.  I know there are good wrenchs out there, but then they hand your bike of to some high school kid to spray it clean.  I dont think its worth the money or the risk/trouble.  I have always paid for the 1000 mile and then done my own fluid changes/maintenance when able. 
I think I will do my own 1000 mile service.

Whats your thoughts?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Do you pay for a 1000 mile service
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 08:00:01 PM »

Just wondering how many of you change your own fluids/do your own service?  I have never been overly impressed with anything that I get back from the dealers.  Seems to me they are in a hurry, tend to scratch paint, over grease stearing heads so that you get to clean the left fork for the next year from the grease that melts down it.  I know there are good wrenchs out there, but then they hand your bike of to some high school kid to spray it clean.  I dont think its worth the money or the risk/trouble.  I have always paid for the 1000 mile and then done my own fluid changes/maintenance when able. 
I think I will do my own 1000 mile service.

Whats your thoughts?

I have always done my own service, maintenance, repairs, modifications, washing and polishings and everything else.  It's not just that I don't trust anyone else to work on my stuff, but I enjoy working on them as much as riding them.   For me, it is fun, relaxing and a good sense of accomplishment when completed.    :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

BUCKEYE

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 10:54:37 AM »

At my dealer the 1000 mile service is free. I take advantage of that, then complete my own service from that point on.

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 11:59:03 AM »

allways do my own services :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 12:04:37 PM »

How's this for a chit story about a service. I figured I go to 10k with my dealer doing my services in case I had an warranty issues. Since my dealer didn't sell AMSOIL but would install it, I left my bike with 6 qts of AMSOIL and a set of Screamin Eagle triple platinum plugs. (bike had a SE breather kit ) for the final (10k) service.  When I picked it up, it was covered with greasy fingerprints which I pointed out to the service writer, but told him if they couldn't get it right the first time he wasn't getting a 2nd chance. I took the bike home, put it up on the rack and started checking things. It had the cheapest stock plugs H-D makes in it, and the AMSOIL  was not in it. I did a color check on a white card and it was the bright yellow of Syn III vice the darker amber of AMSOIL. The air filter hadn't been cleaned and I cleaned it in K&N Solvent and put the residue in a empty jelly jar. I went back to the dealer, waited for the Service Manager and went over everything I found. He said they'd investigate. They found my 6 qts of AMSOIL in the techs saddlebags along with my Screamin Eagle plugs. Offered me a free service and a refund on the one they'd just charged me for. I took my refund and told them my bike would never see the inside of their shop again and it hasn't. This happened at San Diego H-D and the service manager has been axed since but the $%^&**&^% tech who ripped me off is still there. Why ? When the idiot SIL who is now GM of San Diego H-D started slashing the payroll, the Service Manager said no thanks to a pay cut, but the POS Service Tech accepted it. As pointed out elsewhere on the site, San Diego H-D runs their business on the WALMART model

B B
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 12:06:33 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 02:13:30 PM »

That's terrible - Why on earth do they do that surely word get's round and people will go elsewhere >:(

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 02:20:01 PM »

Incompetence is bad...thievery is worse!  The combination of the two is game over...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »

Absolutly

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 09:49:31 AM »

Sright! FTD!!! ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hafbad0

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 03:31:16 AM »

Sright! FTD!!! ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

I SECOND THAT!!  Hoist.    :drink:

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 25 queries.