Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roller Chain Cam Conversion for my 01 SERG  (Read 4518 times)

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
Roller Chain Cam Conversion for my 01 SERG
« on: September 06, 2008, 07:00:25 PM »

The cam tensioners on my 01 SERG failed at 37k.  Thought I'd caught it in time, but dealer says no such luck.  Needs an oil pump, cam plate, etc.  Got the quote to replace the stock tensioners and other parts (gagged), asked about gear drive ($700 more).  The question of pinion shaft run-out came up - not that mine (at 37k) had any but that if it did the gears would be noisy or troublesome (a local well respected independent wrench advised similar last fall) and the idea of the conversion to the new roller chain set-up came up.  Sounded best to me - seemed like I'd be getting a better oil pump, a better (hydraulic) tensioner system with better shoes (per Andrews) which should last, likely quieter than gears, and slightly better performance, almost to the level of gear swap .  Given the dealer's pricing to date on other options, I did some of the research on parts/pricing myself and given what had to be done to mine anyway, it turned out to be the cheapest option with the dealer - yes believe it or not cheaper than putting in the parts and stock shoes - I know, I don't get that either...well yes I do, but that is another story... Dealer did come around to within $100 of the pricing I had come up after I brought it to their attention.

Anyway, with the storms of Hanna pounding us today, I spend some time looking here and on other sites regarding the conversion and saw one comment that one such installation was done and the guy gave it a thumbs up, said it was very quiet but that he hadn't put on many miles but couldn't find anything else specific, other than folks saying not much is known about this setup yet - go gears.  Does anybody else have any experience or comments about this conversion good, bad or ugly.  If all had been fine when they went in, I might well have cheaped out and just went with the stock tensioners again but given what had to be done, this conversion or gear drive were the only true options so that I'd get something for the investment.  I like the idea of not chancing gear-drive noise but also want this to last.  I figure I'll keep the ole girl awhile, probably another 25k-30k and don't want to have to deal with any of this again.

thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice,

Blue
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 06:41:19 AM by BlueSEI2 »
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Roller Cam Conversion for my 01 SERG
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 08:01:21 PM »

Well if crank run out is not a problem I might lean toward gear driven cams and a fueling oil pump and plate. I know you will never have a problem if it is done right. You will need to pick a cam that is suited for your riding style if you went this route. You would also need to remap the fuel injection. Just my 2 cents. I am sure others will chime in and give you some other things to think about!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 08:11:08 PM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

Re: Roller Cam Conversion for my 01 SERG
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 08:21:41 PM »

Thanks Dawg.  Talked to an Andrews Tech and he was high on the idea of the conversion for my application.  Also talked through cam grinds and settled on their 37N which is very comparable to the SE203s that are in it and the S&S 510Gs I would have put in if I'd opted to go gears.  Dealer confirmed that it should be fine with the 37Ns without remapping EFI, etc.

I haven't heard any whaling or nashing of teeth on the new system (same as the 07 and newer models - and 06 and newer Dyna's) so I am being optimistic that HD took so much flack on the old tensioner "defect" that they did sufficient R&D in developing this new system.

thanks again,

Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Roller Chain Cam Conversion for my 01 SERG
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 07:09:26 AM »

The new conversion is supposed to be the CHIT!!!! I have not used it personally. I do know that the people that have used it are happy. The main thing I would be worried about is oil pressure and oil volume. It seems HD has taken care of this problem with the new cam plate conversion kit. If you do try it keep us posted on the results.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 09:06:22 AM »

The new conversion is supposed to be the CHIT!!!! I have not used it personally. I do know that the people that have used it are happy. The main thing I would be worried about is oil pressure and oil volume. It seems HD has taken care of this problem with the new cam plate conversion kit. If you do try it keep us posted on the results.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

One of the big changes with the conversion is the new style cam plate and the new higher output oil pump.  The new plate routes more oil to the cam chains, as well as the piston cooling jets.  I haven't heard of any premature failures with the new tensioner system so far, so perhaps this is the way to go for those who either have too much runout for gears, or who just don't like gears for some reason.  If you assume using the new oil pump and plate even with the gear drives, as I'm planning to do, the cost will be higher for gears.  If you stay with the original cam plate and pump, I think the cost would almost be equal.  At least now we have a choice, unlike a few years ago when gears were the only alternative.

BTW, Bob Wood has another alternative with a belt drive that looks really good.  Unfortunately, it is the highest priced alternative, but it is intriguing.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 06:46:40 PM »

Thanks again Dawg and thanks Jerry.  Yeah, I'm going with the high capacity, better scavenging oil pump and new cam support plate assembly (actually, I think these are required for the conversion and and the dealer indicated I needed these replaced anyway), adjustable pushrods (so they don't have to mess with the top end), new lifters, needle bearings and the rest of the stuff called for in the Andrews conversion.  I'm told I should expect a little more grunt out if in the mid-range with the 37Ns vs. the SE203s so I have my fingers crossed on that.  Last I heard all the parts should enroute but that oil pump was on back order.  Hopefully, I'll get 'er back by next weekend and I will definitely report here from time to time with my impressions. 

I am attaching a write-up from John Wadsworth who has assembled a complete kit (complete down to the Permatex!) for these conversions.  The Andrews Tech referred me to John - is a very knowledgable guy.  He is worth talking to if you go this route.  You can tell him that Randy with the SERG mentioned him to you.

Cheers,

Blue
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 09:11:56 PM by BlueSEI2 »

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 09:36:50 PM »

Thanks Mad Brad.   I just got mine back today (after almost 4 weeks  :-\ ).  I only managed to ride it home from the dealer this evening as it started to rain again  :(.  Initial impression is that it is quiet and with the 37Ns, it does seem to have more grunt in the mid-range compared to the SE203s.  The whole thing out the door was $1650 based on 6 hours of labor, what did your conversion cost?  At this point, I'd give it a thumbs up but will report back again after I log some miles.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 10:12:56 PM »

Thanks Mad Brad.   I just got mine back today (after almost 4 weeks  :-\ ).  I only managed to ride it home from the dealer this evening as it started to rain again  :(.  Initial impression is that it is quiet and with the 37Ns, it does seem to have more grunt in the mid-range compared to the SE203s.  The whole thing out the door was $1650 based on 6 hours of labor, what did your conversion cost?  At this point, I'd give it a thumbs up but will report back again after I log some miles.

Very good. glad it worked out for you. Please keep us posted.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »

Thanks Dawg and Mad Brad - Mad Brad, it sounds like they did quite a bit more work on yours at the time and if the cost of the reinharts was included, that $2k wasn't bad compared to what I paid.

I was able to log another 60 miles or so this morning.  Impressions remain the same, like Mad Brad, I'd hoped some of noises I still hear would have been gone, but no question it is a lot quieter than before and I do believe their is more power in the mid-range.  The only other characteristic is that it seems that it vibrates a little more at idle.  I was told the Andrews 37Ns were a little more aggressive than the SE203s - wonder if that could be a contributor?   

thanks again,

Blue

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 09:18:54 PM »

Mad Brad.  Sounds like your bike is pretty strong.  Don't have any performance specs on mine (never dyno'd).  Rode it 300 miles the last two days and it is running stronger and quieter - suspect the 37Ns must have given it the little boost that was advertised.  Seems to me the vibration at idle is slightly worse and an electrical gremlin has popped up.  I originally thought it was the stator again when the speedo went wacky and the blinkers failed to cancel (just replaced the stator about 5k ago) but after it got dark, I found that when the speedo flaked out, the speedo light went out too and the radio became weak and when it cleared about 2 minutes later all was well again.  Cycled through that a few times over 20 miles.  I guess I'll start checking electrical connections starting at the battery.

I'm with you about doing as much of your own work as possible.  I was disappointed with the entire process this go around from the repair options I was offered to price to time to repair.  That said, I am still satisfied with the decision to do the roller cam conversion. 

thanks for everyone's input and comments and ride on...

Blue

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 03:43:56 PM »

Mad Brad,

You da man.  I tried your speedo idea and it did hear the clip click into the back of the speedo!  I also cleaned the battery terminals and all connectors - there was one positive wire that was bare and had been tightened where the connector (and bear wire) was up above the battery so I corrected that as well.  Anyway, I rode it 50 miles this afternoon and it was fine.  Great advice my friend -thks again.

Blue

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 04:03:33 AM »

Mad Brad,

Just rode mine 1300 miles up through Skyline and on to the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to the end (Cherokee NC).  Ran great and pulls strong.   Glad to hear yours is running great too.  BTW, no more problems with the speedometer after your suggested fix.  I did have one of the headlight bulbs go dim before I left and and found that a connector was melted - fixed that and all is well and the 1300 mile trip was trouble-free.

Ride Safe,

Blue

mad brad

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 09:22:57 PM »

blue what bore do you have 95 or  more any other mods injected? computer tuner ,sounds like you get out way more then i do .good to here the trip was good what exhaust   mad brad  / put a set of rush muflflers on it and racengineering race tuner, add the 02 sensor with all the miles you do it would be kick--- wtih the cams you got now, :mango: they replaced the old version i had with update just to show my friends how much it would do,they sold 5 kits that day blue come to chi town and ride this scoot!!! then take home a tuner mb
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:40:27 PM by mad brad »

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 05:32:53 AM »

Mad Brad, I have the stock screamin' eagle road glide ( '01 FLTRSEI2) set up with the '95 motor and stock exhaust.  The only thing I've done (a couple of years ago now) is install the Screamin' Eagle air filter which came with a download cartridge that the dealer took care of.  They said when they did the download it was acting finicky with the Marelli ignition and they had to fiddle with it.

Cheers,

Blue

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 03:59:28 PM »

Mad Brad,

thanks for the follow-up.  I did drop you a line on your email.

Cheers,

Blue

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.