Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Am I Crazy or is my Dealer Ripping People Off??  (Read 2630 times)

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
Re: Am I Crazy or is my Dealer Ripping People Off??
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 05:13:41 AM »

I usually do my own maintenance, but I was in a hurry to get my 2007 FLHTCUSE ready for sale since my new 2009 was to be delivered in the next couple of weeks, so...

I dropped off my bike to get the 15K service done.

They charged me for 7 quarts of oil.

The last time I checked and did this myself, it basically goes roughly like this:

1 Quart Primary
1 Quart Trans
4 Quarts Engine with allowance for filter.

I count six.

They tried to tell me that the Primary usually takes a few extra ounces so they can only charge for full quarts so my charge was for seven.
He also told me that "all big twins" take seven quarts.

I call bullsh!t.

Your thoughts?

Most of the shops that I know get their oil from a bulk container, not quart bottles.  :soapbox:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 09:11:53 AM »

For FLH models I typically charge customers for a gallon and a quart of oil ( 3.5 or so for the engine, and a quart + for the primary) Then another quart of gear oil for the tranny. On 99-06 bikes the trannies do not use a full quart (about 22-24 oz) but on 07+ bikes they use a quart and sometime a bit more so it balances out.

I do not know how to justify 7 quarts :nixweiss:

As far as shop supplies go as a shop owner I can understand, but do not agree with, some shops are charging for them. I go through several cans of brake cleaner a week to clean oil that spills when changing filters etc. There are also other cleaners and detail stuff. It all adds up and a shop doing many services can have alot of money spent on these things every month. It is a legitimate expense but passing it on to the customer isn't right in my opinion. To me its a cost of doing business........

It is a cost of doing business, and ultimately you and every other dealer is in business to make money. Fair enough.

The problem is my dealers like you include that cost as part of the regular service cost.  So let's say $75 an hour for a 2 hour job costs me $150.  So now I go to another dealer who quotes me $65 an hour.  Then they add 7.50 for shop supplies and claim it takes 7 qts. to fill the holes because they can't charge partial qts.  So now the same job cost me $160 when I was thinking I'd save $10 bucks.  So not only do I get screwed, but so do the honest dealers.

So personally, I found a nice honest reliable dealer, and I stick with them.  I'm lucky.  My closest dealer is one of the best rated in the country.  But for those who are not near you or mine.... ARGHHH.

Part of the problem is Harley does the same thing in a way.  I bought my wife new wheels for her Street Bob for our anniversary (Romantic aren't I... I swear it's what she wanted).  Black Typhoon wheels. Very reasonably priced.  Then I get tagged with needing a $100 wheel installation kit.  Then I have to buy a different front disk because the one from the old wheel is a different pattern.  So those $400 wheels end up costing me $650 for the front and $500 for the back or something like that.  Just put the actual f@$#ing price on the damn wheels so I know what it's going to cost me.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 10:01:56 AM »

It is a cost of doing business, and ultimately you and every other dealer is in business to make money. Fair enough.

The problem is my dealers like you include that cost as part of the regular service cost.  So let's say $75 an hour for a 2 hour job costs me $150.  So now I go to another dealer who quotes me $65 an hour.  Then they add 7.50 for shop supplies and claim it takes 7 qts. to fill the holes because they can't charge partial qts.  So now the same job cost me $160 when I was thinking I'd save $10 bucks.  So not only do I get screwed, but so do the honest dealers.

So personally, I found a nice honest reliable dealer, and I stick with them.  I'm lucky.  My closest dealer is one of the best rated in the country.  But for those who are not near you or mine.... ARGHHH.

Part of the problem is Harley does the same thing in a way.  I bought my wife new wheels for her Street Bob for our anniversary (Romantic aren't I... I swear it's what she wanted).  Black Typhoon wheels. Very reasonably priced.  Then I get tagged with needing a $100 wheel installation kit.  Then I have to buy a different front disk because the one from the old wheel is a different pattern.  So those $400 wheels end up costing me $650 for the front and $500 for the back or something like that.  Just put the actual f@$#ing price on the damn wheels so I know what it's going to cost me.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

This is the way all things are going here in the US. Last night there was a news story on Nightline stating that the airlines are doing the exact same thing. They are selling you the cheapest fare then tacking on a cost from extra bags, drinks on board, change of flight, etc. So even if you find a good price, you don't know what the actual cost is. Everything has it's own hidden cost.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 10:05:42 AM »

Hidden costs do suck and no matter how diligent we all get stuck from time to time. But "7 quarts" is just outright B.S.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »

FTD!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hogasm

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 04:13:51 PM »

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

It is called up-selling....In some dealerships, the parts man gets commission for up selling. If he quotes you only $450 for the tire he has you. You have bought it for the price...now the up sale....you need rotors, and an installation kit for that wheel......since you had to pay for it up front, we can only give you a store credit, less 15% return fee for the wheel.....got you by the balls now....so you spend the wxtra $250 so the wheels will work.

Is this taught in every dealership...... :2vrolijk_21:.......online........... :2vrolijk_21:..........sales associate learns to stick it up your azz and you smile while thanking him........ :2vrolijk_21:..........ask him/her to do it again...........you know you will.

hogasm

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »

Dealer here charges $12 in shop supplies on every job

charges $99.95 an hour

and only 1 mechanic he has in 3 dealerships is worth a pot for someone to piss in.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 04:19:26 PM »

Guess you go to the indy then. That's as high as I've heard.

oldfool

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 05:11:13 PM »

Had the 1000 mile service done and the dealer did the same thing. They charged me for 6 and they only changed the motor oil. I'm not going back.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 05:23:14 PM »

Hey d00d
             This entire thread should be folded into the bad dealer thread.
Wazup ?

You asleep at the keyboard ?  :)

B B

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 06:24:31 PM »

Hey d00d
             This entire thread should be folded into the bad dealer thread.
Wazup ?

You asleep at the keyboard ?  :)

B B
D00d's not here this is his robot replying when he wakes I'll let him know. :zzz: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 07:08:28 PM »

D00d's not here this is his robot replying when he wakes I'll let him know. :zzz: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Now I understand how you can be logged onto the site for 14 hrs a day  :bulb2:
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 25 queries.