Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ultra Road Glide  (Read 2324 times)

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
Ultra Road Glide
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:28:48 PM »

A friend of mine was fortunate to find an 02 Road Glide that was a completely Ulrta-sized,
bike. Now, he wants to get a newer one, but the cost to do a complete transformation
is like out of this world. I was just wondering, would it be a lot cheaper to buy an Ultra
and change out the fairing, and all the parts to mount it. I believe all the gages, radio, etc,
would be a direct swap. I also know, you would have to swap out the lowers.

What do you experts think? 
The "TAZMUN"

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Ultra Road Glide
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:31:42 PM »

just my opinion but i would think it would be cheaper to add TP/lowers/CB+intercom then swap out the front end components and still need different lowers
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:36:16 PM »

Other than the hi speed handling benefits of the road glide fairing, it's a fair bit heavier than the bat wing.  So for all the low speed stuff, it's tougher to handle.  Just something to consider.  Arcticfox was riding an 01 SERG and when we decided to upgrade the 06 CUSE to an 07, she rode the 06 and felt it was easier to handle, not that it handled better, just it was less topheavy.  So we sold the SERG and she's now riding the 06 CUSE.  We looked at adding everything to the SERG.  Relatively cost prohibative.  We were really hoping the 08 SERG would cover this.  It would have been tough to even get one, much less one for msrp.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:48:04 PM »

I know, but I can't talk him into it. I do agree with him, it handles MUCH better
then the bat fairing on long windy rides. I road many rented RG's and the only
reason I have a SEUC, is because of all the extras.

To the person who thinks it's cheaper to add, start looking at all the prices
to Ultra-size. Please include all the parts you see on the Ultra, bag guards,
tour pak lights, antenna's, and on and on. You must remember, every thing you
take off the Ulta, to turn it into a RG, are sellable too.
The "TAZMUN"

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 01:21:33 AM »

Hell, just adding the CB capabilities to the RG will cost $1000+!!!  It isn't just plug and play.  And you haven't done ANYTHING else.  Okay, you copuld put the j&m on the handlebar, but is that what you really want taking up space on the bar of your "Screaming Eagle Ultra Glide"!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 11:18:34 AM »

What do you guys think is the reason the moco does not ultra-size a RG?  I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 11:59:02 AM »

Hell, just adding the CB capabilities to the RG will cost $1000+!!!  It isn't just plug and play.  And you haven't done ANYTHING else.  Okay, you copuld put the j&m on the handlebar, but is that what you really want taking up space on the bar of your "Screaming Eagle Ultra Glide"!

For what it's worth:

76416-06C   Advanced Audio CB Radio Kit      299.95
70169-06      Wiring Harness         129.95
76410-09      CB Antenna Mounting Kit      89.95
77173-08      Communications Switch Kit      254.95

Adds up to about $775.  That's without any discounts.  I can do the job in about three hours so I assume a tech could do it quicker.  But even at three hours the labor should be around 200.  It hink with discounts and some careful dealer selection you could get it done for about 800 installed 650 parts only.  About the same cost as the entire J&M setup and believe me, this is one case where the factory option is MUCH better.  Don't get me wrong, we love the J&M on my wife's Street Bob, but it's still no where near as powerful, loud or clear as the factory unit on my CUSE3.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »

For what it's worth:

76416-06C   Advanced Audio CB Radio Kit      299.95
70169-06      Wiring Harness         129.95
76410-09      CB Antenna Mounting Kit      89.95
77173-08      Communications Switch Kit      254.95

Adds up to about $775.  That's without any discounts.  I can do the job in about three hours so I assume a tech could do it quicker.  But even at three hours the labor should be around 200.  It hink with discounts and some careful dealer selection you could get it done for about 800 installed 650 parts only.  About the same cost as the entire J&M setup and believe me, this is one case where the factory option is MUCH better.  Don't get me wrong, we love the J&M on my wife's Street Bob, but it's still no where near as powerful, loud or clear as the factory unit on my CUSE3.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Got to agree with you 100%.  Ridden with several folks over the years with J&M and Sierra (with the Cobra CB) set-ups and all have had problems/issues at various times.  This is one time for sure when the moco solution is definitely the best by far imo.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 01:45:19 PM »

What do you guys think is the reason the moco does not ultra-size a RG?  I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. 

I KNOW QUITE A FEW PEOPLE WHO WOULD ALSO JUMP. I have asked a couple of local dealers why
the moco didn't, and they didn't know. It sure wouldn't cost anymore to do it, and if it did, it
shouldn't be much. I see a lot of RG's that add the tour pack's, lowers, etc. I'm sure they would
jump at the Ultra-RG. As for the person who figures $800.00 for the radio/cb/intercom, hmm
I think we're missing a few pieces, but not sure. I'll break out my parts book after work. Heck.
just look at what a color match ultra tour pack costs, with lights, mounting etc.
The "TAZMUN"

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 02:30:26 PM »

For what it's worth.
My 99 RG is an ultra. That being said, to get a new SERG and equip it like the one I have including the extras like adj BSR pegs, towing package ect. add $ 10,000 to the SERG price. That is why I am waiting for the 2010's. Hopefully some of the equip. will be on them.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 03:02:05 PM »

Hey guys, I just want everyone to know, were tlking about an "Ultra-Raod Glide" make over,
NOT an "Ultra-SERG". But that would be SUPER if the moco built that too!
The "TAZMUN"

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 03:48:57 PM »

I KNOW QUITE A FEW PEOPLE WHO WOULD ALSO JUMP. I have asked a couple of local dealers why
the moco didn't, and they didn't know. It sure wouldn't cost anymore to do it, and if it did, it
shouldn't be much. I see a lot of RG's that add the tour pack's, lowers, etc. I'm sure they would
jump at the Ultra-RG. As for the person who figures $800.00 for the radio/cb/intercom, hmm
I think we're missing a few pieces, but not sure. I'll break out my parts book after work. Heck.
just look at what a color match ultra tour pack costs, with lights, mounting etc.

Those are the parts needed to add JUST CB... The intercome setup and rear speakers would be more, as would a headset.  The antenna part number is also for a frame mounted setup not a tourpak mounted setup.  The quote was "Just adding CB capabilities..." So that's the parts I listed.  I was not trying to say you could do an Ultra conversion for 800.

To make it the full Ultra Com System add:

76440-06 Advanced Audio Intercom Kit - 89.95
77155-06 Advanced Audio Rear Speaker Kit - 439.95
77147-98 Premium Stereo Headset - 199.95

Change 76410-09 CB Antenna Mounting Kit (frame mount) - 89.95 to 76400-09 CB Antenna Mounting Kit (Tou-Pak Mount) - 89.95 (Same price)

So now you'd be just under $1450 without any discounts or labor.  You'd still need the King Tour-Pak ($900) for the audio stuff to mount to plus mounting brackets and backrest.  And if you want the full Ultra treatment, you'd need the lowers, saddlebag guard rails, front bumper, front fender tip light, rear fender tip light. chrome transmission cover, saddlebag liners, and tour-pak liner.  I'm sure there's other items I missed.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 04:40:09 PM »

Now you know what I mean J-Carr. It's a darn expensive change to make a "true" Ultra-Road Glide.
If you look at the complete tour pack with lights, speakers, seat, etc, I'm thinking, buy an Ultra,
use as many items as you can out of the bat fairing, and buy all the necessary hardware and
Road Glide fairing, it may be way cheaper. But like I asked in the original post, I might not
be looking at the whole picture either.

The "TAZMUN"

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 05:05:56 PM »

taz,
It may not be as easy as bolting the RG fairing onto an Ultra frame.  There is a support that runs from the frame out into the nose of the RG fairing.  I don't remember whether it's bolted onto a standard Ultra frame or welded on.  Seems it's welded, but it's been a couple of years since I was in the nose of a RG.

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 25 queries.