Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rev limiter 110"  (Read 2758 times)

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
Rev limiter 110"
« on: March 25, 2009, 11:02:23 AM »

The MasterTune rev limiter setting for my CVO is 6200.  That's the same as it was on my 88" TC and I was a little concerned because of the longer stroke in the 110, so I set it at 6000.  Is 6200 okay for the 110?  I think the tach has it red-lined above 5500.
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Rev limiter 110"
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »

If you are using the stock cam there is no reason to go beyond 5500 since you stop making power at approx 4200 rpm. 
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 02:58:26 PM »

If you are using the stock cam there is no reason to go beyond 5500 since you stop making power at approx 4200 rpm. 

Unbalanced, it's funny you would say that.  Not funny ha, ha, but it does surprise me just a bit.

This is my dyno sheet of an '08 SERK with V&H Dresser Dual, V&H Oval mufflers, SE AC upgrade and a PCM III installed.  Not that my dyno sheet is anything to write home about, it isn't, but it does show my HP still climbing up to about 5,400 rpms.  Granted my torque was gone long before that, but the seat of the pants dyno can tell a difference between the stock rev limiter and the bumped up to 6,200 rpm rev limiter.

Usually getting onto the freeway in second and third gear I would hit my 5,500 stop very quickly.  The bike was still gaining pretty good at that point.  Now with the rev stop lifted up to 6,200 rpms, I seldom hit it and the bike does not die out over 6,000 rpms.  I know the dyno sheet contradicts my butt dyno, but I really prefer the higher limiter.

On my last rod project, I had a new 540" BBC with 660 hp.  The builder builds hundreds of these motors and he recommended a shift point of 6,500 rpms with my peak hp dropping off at about 6,000 rpms.  He said that during the shifting it will keep me more in tune with the available power.  I think in the case of the 110" and its 6 speed, that theory would not hold up as the rpm drop per shift is less that the 4 speed automatic I was running in the car.

I know there is a lot of hupla going on right now on dyno sheets, one bike to another.  My sheet is using the dyno for a very good purpose.  The base line was with the same hardware, but with Power Commander's very first web map available.  It ran great, but didn't get the mpg I thought I should and I was curious in what it put out.  So the dyno chart shows my power when I drove up and the after is when I left the dyno.  He gained my about 9 hp over what I had and as you can see, the torque made overall big improvements.  Afterwards, I increased my mpg about 6 on the average; went from 33 up to about 39/40 range.  The bike also seemed to have more throttle response.

I guess now that I've rambled on and on and on, sorry..... I have to say I'm very happy with the added rpms available with my setup.  Whether it's all in my head or not, I do feel that I've gained upper end with the higher limit and it performs when needed even at those higher rpms.

Fourstar still raises a good point about the stroke and the rpms.  Just think on my now sold 540" BBC, it had 4.38" stroke and 4.5" bore and again, he wanted me to shift at 6,500 rpms.  Boy is that a lot of mass flying around inside that motor.  I think the weight involved in the 110" motor is better suited for the 6,200 rpms than my V-8 was.  I guess, within reason, I'd rather have an under square motor than an over square motor.  110" over square and the 540" under square.  In the V-twin genre, over square seems to be the norm and V-8's all seem to be a bit less than square.  Piston speed is the killer in a motor.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 04:46:11 PM »

I concur on the butt dyno saying it is still pulling over 5500.  I hit the 6000 rpm limiter in first and second gear yesterday morning (which caused me to ask this question) and it still felt like it was pulling strong.  It got there (6k) quick too. 
Thanks for the responses -  both are very informative.
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 10:00:35 PM »

Only comment I would have/offer is a suggestion to you and that is to find someone of equal weight and then let them short shift at max of 4800 - 5200 rpm and see how well you fair.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 10:50:11 PM »

Only comment I would have/offer is a suggestion to you and that is to find someone of equal weight and then let them short shift at max of 4800 - 5200 rpm and see how well you fair.   

Are you saying that all things being equal, the rider shifting in the 4800-5200 range will probably pull away from the rider holding to the rev limiter?
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.