Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: HOT! HOT! HOT!  (Read 12422 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: HOT! HOT! HOT!
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2007, 06:48:57 PM »

I have the Kury version heat shields.  Noticed their effectiveness as well.

Spoke at length to some folks from TN at the bridge in Deals Gap last weekend.  One of the guys there was developing a "wind channel" to direct wind around the 96 (or 110) motor.  Had a prototype on his Ultra - directed wind from the lowers to the front and rear cylinders using a variety of removable pieces (to be made of carbon fiber).  Said his oil temps were 215 or so - hot as hell, mid day, after riding the Gap.  He got my interest.  Figure he is developing them for Kury or someone similar.  Gave them a card for our site but so far have not seen any of them post.
:o :o
 :worthless: :worthless:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2007, 06:55:43 PM »

:o :o
 :worthless: :worthless:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

To my eternal shame, I took no pics.  Think Kury heat shields wrapped around the heads channeling air from the lowers to the front jug then to the rear jug.  Several pieces, interconnected designed to move air to the back.

Guy also said he was the inventor of the thumb dealie on the Kury Dragon wings. Had it mounted low (as I do).  Very interesting fellows, had a great conversation and compared notes on stuff including my LED light bar on the tour pack.

The fellow who started the conversation was on a Smurf and was amused at the nickname, since he had not heard it before.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2007, 08:20:31 AM »

Makes me wonder what the oil temps would be without the SE oil cooler !  :o  Maybe I can find another cooler to add but it would probably have to be as big as the lowers on the Ultras ;D
Hey Serkcus, you could look into the new oil cooler that utilizes the engine guard (crash bar).....looks pretty cool and couldn't hurt by adding add'l. oil to the system.  I saw it mentioned in a recent bike rag so I haven't actually seen the product to give anymore info on it.  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2007, 12:50:30 PM »

I had thought about getting some TD head pipes and having them ceramic coated. But I wondered if the TMAX wideband 02 sensors Depth inside the pipe
might be an issue.
  So , I E-mailed that question to Zippers!!! And I have not got an answer yet.
But hey, it has only been 2-3 wks!!!!

There does seem to be a trend.  Well, perhaps more than a trend.....

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14379.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2007, 06:40:33 PM »

There does seem to be a trend.  Well, perhaps more than a trend.....

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14379.0
Hey 2Lane....that's too bad you can't get any support from them.  aaaarrgh.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2007, 09:35:36 PM »

Hey 2Lane....that's too bad you can't get any support from them.  aaaarrgh.  spyder

Thank you Spyder.  It's far more unfortunate and discomfiting than just their lack of response to me too.

It seems several of us here, at a place that should be seen as a target rich environment for most vendors, have had similar unfortunate difficulties.  Whether it be the detonation issue or other questions there have now come to light many instances of absolute lack of response/disregard, responses that seem at best delaying rather than actually responsive or other questionable levels of support.

During my own parts acquisition phase I know and readily admit I had my difficulties with them.  They (Kitzmiller personally) was in fact splendid to work with while the order, work and money were inbound to Zippers.  When things were supposed to be coming back my way the track got a slippier though.

Delay begat promise which begat more promises (that they had to know couldn't be met) which begat more delays.  Finally after several broken promises parts did arrive though. 

Kitzmiller actually got pointedly upset (and said so) with me because I'd dared speak of the difficulties.  He actually had the temerity to cop an attitude because I'd not continued speaking favorably of them when their performance had no longer been favorable.  I pointedly told him he should expect favorable reports when they seem to do well without having to expect less than favorable reports on what they don't do well.  I don't think being so instructed sat well with him as there was very little conversation after that exchange.  That upon arrival here part of the machine work itself was not up to par only made matters worse of course.....

It did finally all get here, get installed, and ran fine (in cooler weather).  So I was willing to let bygones be bygones.  I later asked a simple question about a spare part; politely and courteously.  Kitzmiller had the opportunity to see the question for an extended period.  He rather pointedly disregarded me and the question.  So I just kept refreshing the post until embarrassment or annoyance forced him to supply an answer.

Consequent to all this history I honestly did not expect him to exercise the fortitude necessary to actually answer a question of mine.  No matter how consequential it was to the operation of the bike or how politely and correctly it was originally placed I fully expected Kitzmiller to just disregard a query that came from me; just because it came from me and that's the way he'd proved to behave.  It's unfortunate, but that's company's history and the man's demeanor in my case.

So when I say it's more discomfiting because the response seems to be the same to others as it is to me I mean that literally. 

A company that won't address us here when there's time to work with someone and it's easy to do so is a company to be simply afraid of when considering the prospect of being on the side of the road someplace.  Imagine being on the side of the road or at a dealership somewhere, having a proprietary system with one source for information and support, needing that information and support, and knowing that the company you're hoping to deal with is the company that behaves as they have here.

A disregard for one rider is one thing.  Everyone can get pissed off at a guy.  Even if they're dicks for doing so.  So they're pissed off at me.  I can live with it.  It's unfortunate they put their pride and ego above their ethics and standards.  But such is not an uncommon sin.  And when it's directed against just one, well, it'd be unfortunate for me but, again, I can live with it. 

A disregard for the riding community, however, is frightening and unnerving.  That's an attitude that leaves men stranded.  Their wives or girlfriends or children on the pillion frightened and concerned as the sun starts to set or wondering just how long they'll be in the motel down the street from the dealership before they can get home to hug the kids and relieve the grandparents or baby sitter.

I am, quite frankly and honestly, very much surprised to have learned here recently how widespread seems to be Zippers' difficulties in meeting service and support obligations.  Really, screwing with me and taking some grim satisfaction for blowing me off just because Kitzmiller can is one thing, but leaving the community of men that we all associate with in similar straits is just sad.  Misery may love company.  But none of us want that company on the side of the road or wandering the floor at a strange dealership waiting for support.  Paying a vendor to leave us there is something we should all reconsider.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2008, 01:01:33 PM »

For those that are exceptionally concerned about this why not just take the extra step.  Get a set of pipes and have them ceramic coated.  It won't be a panacea.  But within the realm of the pipes themselves nothing would help more.
Have you tried the ceramic coating yet? I know they lower the temps on cars quite abit, just wondered how they hold up on bikes with heat shields attached to them

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

• CVO1: 2012 SE7 (10/15/11)
    • CVO2: 2007 UC-110 SE
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »

I know this topic has been discussed to death but I've never had a chance to really compare different models before yesterday as to engine heat.  I have ridden my '07 SERK over 4K miles, granted not in hot weather but still enough that I think I could tell if it was going to be a problem which it has not been.  Yesterday I test rode an '07 SEUC2 with 1600 miles on it.  It was 85 degrees here and by the time I had put 12 miles on this bike, the right leg of my jeans felt like it was on fire.  Has anyone else had a chance to do a comparison?  Do any of you Ultra riders find this to be the case with your bikes?

I have reinharts and the left leg is now the hot spot. The only way to get rid of this heat is to get the heat deflectors that HD now put on as standard equipment.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2008, 11:30:45 AM »

I have researched this problem until I'm just about ready to give up. The deflectors only work if you are moving at a reasonable speed. They do not work well in slow traffic. None of these deflectors do. Spend your money like I did and  you will find out the same thing. Yes you can take the lowers off and it will help some. The only thing that I have found that works are the [CERAMIC COATINGS] Drag cars Stock Cars and so on have been using this to resolve this problem for years. Ceramic Coating will lower the ambient temperature around the rear jug upto 40% I have found the cost to have it done is usually around $200.00 not counting shipping. You can have it coated in a Sterling silver which looks just like what you have. Yes you can put your stock heat shields back on. They are usually warranted for 3 years. No I do not work for anyone that installs this coating. Jet Hot is just one of the companies I have found.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2008, 08:16:30 PM »

i put the fan on my 07uc- that solved the problem, when it gets hot the fan comes on and it cools right down

to
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 21 queries.