Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Got a call that a Ruby just came in...  (Read 2025 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Got a call that a Ruby just came in...
« on: November 27, 2008, 01:58:32 AM »

Finally got to see one in person today and the paint quite nice. It was in the showroom that didn't have the best lighting, but I bet it really pops in the sunlight. All around, it's a nice bike, but I was kind of dumbfounded on a couple of nit-picky things.

1.  The seat. That faux sharkskin or whatever that's supposed to be looks like the same old fashion vinyl we had in our shared Pinto in college. The backrest stitch work was a little rough where the seam was pretty poorly puckered.  Gosh, on a $36K bike, this really looks out of place. Last years seat was much better, imho.

2.  I'm still kind of surprised they still haven't done anything to update the antiquated nav head unit.

3.  The black leather dash pad material was pulled so tight there was at least a 1/16 to 1/8" gap at the stitching. I wonder how that will hold up?

Beyond this, I'm not sure if the dealer has letting folks climb all over it or something, but the paint had all sorts of little scratches. The bike has only been on the floor this week, and I was kind of shocked to see how bad it was. I was told they have another coming in in Jan or Feb, but I don't know if I'm still as excited about the bike as I thought I was? I duuno?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 08:27:50 AM by mrmagloo »
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: Got a call that a Ruby just came in...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 10:06:28 AM »

Finally got to see one in person today and the paint quite nice. It was in the showroom that didn't have the best lighting, but I bet it really pops in the sunlight. All around, it's a nice bike, but I was kind of dumbfounded on a couple of nit-picky things.

1.  The seat. That faux sharkskin or whatever that's supposed to be looks like the same old fashion vinyl we had in our shared Pinto in college. The backrest stitch work was a little rough where the seam was pretty poorly puckered.  Gosh, on a $36K bike, this really looks out of place. Last years seat was much better, imho.

2.  I'm still kind of surprised they still haven't done anything to update the antiquated nav head unit.

3.  The black leather dash pad material was pulled so tight there was at least a 1/16 to 1/8" gap at the stitching. I wonder how that will hold up?

Beyond this, I'm not sure if the dealer has letting folks climb all over it or something, but the paint had all sorts of little scratches. The bike has only been on the floor this week, and I was kind of shocked to see how bad it was. I was told they have another coming in in Jan or Feb, but I don't know if I'm still as excited about the bike as I thought I was? I duuno?

Only you can make the call on whether you still like the bike or not.  I've seen the Ruby Red outside in the sun and the color does "pop".   As far as the seat and dash pad.  If that's your bike, have the dealer order a new dash pad.  As far as the seat, I'm not sure about the new ones, but most previous SEUC owners replaced the stock seat anyway, or again, you can have the dealer replace it with another one.  The scratches, could be anything, finger prints, careless buffing by the sales staff with a rag, whatever.  That can all be buffed out by the dealership with a good pre-delivery detailing, with no harm done to the finish of the bike.  Bottom line, it's your bike, your money, you're the one that has to be satisfied, and either the dealer fixes the issues you have, or you wait for the next one, or you don't buy the bike at all.  How bad do you want the bike?  What you mentioned, if it were me, would not be enough to be a show stopper or deal breaker.  But that's JMHO.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 01:40:07 PM »

MrMagloo,

Looking at the bike inside the showroom vs. out in sunlight is doing the paint on the Ruby a dis-service.

last weekend when we met up with Miker and Lisa, RobMay, Jorge, Hogsbreath, and JD at the dealer in Lake Wales they took a few shots of the 09 SE Ultras all lined up together for a group picture.  Hopefully one of them will post a picture of all 3 together, so you can get a good luck at them in the sunlight.

I really don't think you will be unhappy with it, although the sharkskin really detracts from the seat.   I have been considering having mine recovered.   The seat is comfortable more so than the 07's seat, so hopefully it is just a leather replacement to make it look better.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 11:49:24 AM »

Thanks guys, yeah I've been going back and forth in my mind. This one they have on the floor, I definitely wouldn't take but I going to keep tabs on this next one they have coming. If I decide to go for it, I'll make sure that it doesn't leave my sight after they open the box.

On the seat, yeah, I'm not relishing the idea of having to spend quite a bit of money to get it recovered correctly so it looks half way decent. While I would definitely go the route of removing the tour pack and getting an FLHX seat, I do want the stocker to use with the tour pack and for the colder months for the heating. While I obviously knew about the crappy nav which also is kind of a head scratcher, there's just really no excuse for this horribly cheap looking seat. I can't imagine Willie G taking one look and not telling everyone to hold the presses. The guy who signed off on that really needs to be ushered out the door. Imho, the stock Ultra seat is light years better looking.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 11:54:49 AM »

I'm not crazy about the gray stripe in the seat also but it wouldn't  be a deal breaker for me.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 01:37:02 PM »

Thanks guys, yeah I've been going back and forth in my mind. This one they have on the floor, I definitely wouldn't take but I going to keep tabs on this next one they have coming. If I decide to go for it, I'll make sure that it doesn't leave my sight after they open the box.

On the seat, yeah, I'm not relishing the idea of having to spend quite a bit of money to get it recovered correctly so it looks half way decent. While I would definitely go the route of removing the tour pack and getting an FLHX seat, I do want the stocker to use with the tour pack and for the colder months for the heating. While I obviously knew about the crappy nav which also is kind of a head scratcher, there's just really no excuse for this horribly cheap looking seat. I can't imagine Willie G taking one look and not telling everyone to hold the presses. The guy who signed off on that really needs to be ushered out the door. Imho, the stock Ultra seat is light years better looking.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Problem is trying to get a Stock Heated Seat all in black :)  and not a sundowner.     The FLHX I think is going to be shorter in the nose of the seat though typically the ultra has had an extended piece on the seat to match up with the console piece.   I haven't checked into the 09's yet, but pre 07 that was the case.

unless your willing to use the dash pad that goes between the nose of the seat and the console, but you might get ushered out the door yourself for that one haha.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 03:58:02 PM »

Unbalanced, not sure what you mean, but check out this thread:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28135.0

Buckeye did the tour pack removal and had no issues going to the badlander seat, which is very similar to the stock 09 FLHX seat. Flyingwillie went with an actual FLHX seat and it came out great.

Here's a pic:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28135.0;attach=84389

And another: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28135.0;attach=92580

I know none of these will be heated, which is why I will have to keep the stocker and be forced into getting it redone. However, when removing the tour pack you almost have to remove the stock seat because it just doesn't look right. When I remove the tour pack, I'll use the FLHX seat.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the bike, but for a $36K, it's strange that they made such bad choices is all I'm saying. Also, I'm just hoping they really do have the 110 squared away which is another reason why I'm going to wait a few month months.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 09:33:55 PM »

Unbalanced, not sure what you mean, but check out this thread:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28135.0

Buckeye did the tour pack removal and had no issues going to the badlander seat, which is very similar to the stock 09 FLHX seat. Flyingwillie went with an actual FLHX seat and it came out great.

Here's a pic:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28135.0;attach=84389

And another: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28135.0;attach=92580

I know none of these will be heated, which is why I will have to keep the stocker and be forced into getting it redone. However, when removing the tour pack you almost have to remove the stock seat because it just doesn't look right. When I remove the tour pack, I'll use the FLHX seat.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the bike, but for a $36K, it's strange that they made such bad choices is all I'm saying. Also, I'm just hoping they really do have the 110 squared away which is another reason why I'm going to wait a few month months.

Could you be more specific about what you dont understand?    If you are referring to 6 x 1.3 megs, than it is easy, not everyone has great high speed internet and everytime they go to that post they will have to download 7.8 megs just for the page to come up.   If you are on dialup that is over an hour just to get to the pictures.

thatrhinoguy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Fly Fast, Live Slow

• CVO1: '11 RUSE Reo Red / Black Ember
    • CVO2: '09 CUSE Ruby / Typhoon (Sold)
    • CVO3: '05 SEEG Two Tone Candy Cherry (Sold)
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 07:14:06 AM »

In set up my service mgr. didn't like the wrinkle in the seat, and knew I wouldn't like the wrinkle in the seat. He ordered another one from the mfr. without being asked. I haven't seen the replacement yet, ...we'll see when it comes in.

trg
'04 SSR   Ultra Violet
'02 Chevy Duramax Crew Dually

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 07:44:30 AM »

@mrmagloo
I think you need to differentiate between issues related to the model and issues related to this particular bike. The navigation unit is '90's material. We know that already, they have not changed it. Shame on the Moco. But we've got to move on. The seat comes stock. I have seen it in person, I would have no issue with the seat. I think it is way more comfortable than '08's. It is not only the looks, but also the function. And, as others have written, many people change the seat anyway. If that particular seat is not okay, I am sure the warranty will cover that, also the dash pad (I wish the bikes would come without it, by the way). Your issues with the paint is something particular to this bike, and the dealer should assure you, that they'll deliver the bike in mint condition. So, now go out and sign the papers. The economy needs all the support we can muster!

And then ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 09:11:21 AM »

Initially, the one thing I said about the 09 was "Why would they ruin the looks of the bike with that seat?"  After owning the bike for a few weeks, it has grown on me and I don't want to replace it.  It's mighty comfortable too, which amazed me for a stock seat.  I always replace my stock seats quickly.  Not this time.

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.