Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: help with cam decision  (Read 1089 times)

Mad Dog

help with cam decision
« on: November 20, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »

Okay gang I need some straight talk here from experience not speculation.  I have an O1 SERG with 37,000 miles no problems to date.  However, I know the cam tensioners are supposed to be checked at 40k.  When I have this done what is my best option.  Replace with stock OE parts, put in a gear drive cam, or update with the 07 later HD cam system?

mad brad

Re: help with cam decision
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 11:38:40 PM »

i like the ugrade  to 07 chain thats what i had done, quiet no whine no run out problems to worry about with newer oil pump you get much better pressure, adj push rods are a must i like the r.a.c.e 88  WMW conv cam by racengineering they have a 95 version too,AND LARGER  very nice with their tuner big low end pull no tensioner worries 520 lift on the 88 version.gear drive is good but i am weird about noises,  MAD BRAD  ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 02:34:33 AM by mad brad »

Greaseball

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 05:12:03 PM »

At 37,000 miles, don't fix what ain't broke!
Check the cam chain tensioners and replace them if needed.  The next set that you put in will probable last the life of the bike now that the chains have been polished by the first set of tensioners.  After you're done with the inspection (and change if needed) go out and ride that fine bike and don't look back.

mad brad

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 11:38:27 PM »

mad dog this is how i thought, if touring around my pump ,plate etc is all hd if it did go south i could get parts fast,ant where, the gear is great too i think the timing is more precise with the gear gear is more money either would be a great upgrade while your in it bump the size  and the conversion cams are less resistance than stk tensioners which are major drag on the chain  and very noisy   mad brad
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 11:06:25 AM by mad brad »

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 08:37:01 PM »

have pinion shaft runout checked...if it's less than .002", you plan on putting another 60k on, and ya got the cheese go gear drive...it's a win-win...I like wood #5 cams for your motor, assuming a good tune!
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 25 queries.