Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Foglights, maybe someone can explain this to me?  (Read 1681 times)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Foglights, maybe someone can explain this to me?
« on: December 03, 2008, 07:35:06 PM »

I have been researching light bulbs to replace the standard bulbs in the Passing lamps on my FD

This is not real hard, standard bulb is 881 27 watt, now here is the rub.
I am trying to get close to matching my 12000K HID headlight (slightly purple) and have come up short.
The only one I found close was a foglight that was described as 7000K.
Now it is my understanding that fog lights use the lower degree kelvin scale (longer wave length)
Usually runs in the 2500K scale. The longer wave length does'nt defract as much and is much better in fog.

So my question is what makes a foglight a foglight? How do you sell a foglight with a 7000K light?
I do not need any foglights (sense I do not plan to ride in fog) so do I just get
something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LUMINICS-ULTRA-WHITE-881-FOGLIGHT-FOGLIGHTS-BULBS-BULB_W0QQitemZ280290536447QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081201?IMSfp=TL0812011310010r6781

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 08:54:25 PM by FLHTCUSE3 »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Foglights, maybe someone can explain this to me?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 07:51:04 PM »

So my question is what makes a foglight a foglight? How do you sell a foglight with a 7000K light?

I'm not touching this one, but... when you find a decent replacement bulb, let us all know.  :D ;) :2vrolijk_21:

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 08:44:35 PM »

<I do not need any foglights (sense I do not pan to ride in fog) so do I just get
something like this?>

Yup, that's what I put in mine.  They work pretty good and have a dark blue tint to them.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 09:58:05 PM »

I run these.  The are the same plug as the standard 881's  50w vs 27 and throw some great light out there.

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/886~usa.html

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 02:35:43 AM »

I'm not touching this one, but... when you find a decent replacement bulb, let us all know.  :D ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Very wise...............

RedFXR2

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 10:34:31 AM »

I have been researching light bulbs to replace the standard bulbs in the So my question is what makes a foglight a foglight? How do you sell a foglight with a 7000K light?
I do not need any foglights (sense I do not plan to ride in fog) so do I just get
something like this?

My understanding of fog lights, from the automotive world, is that they aren't about the bulb, but the lens.  Intended to be mounted as low as possible on the front end to cut under the layer of fog on the road, fog light lenses project a thin vertically, wide beam of light as opposed to a far-reaching, more concentrated one.  This is done with lens configuration, as the fog lights I have had on my cars and trucks, both factory and aftermarket, all used conventional bulbs mounted behind fog-specific lenses.  I've had very effective fog lights that used H3 halogen bulbs and the ones on my present vehicle use 9006 bulbs, the same as in the headlights.  Again the fog light lens is very different, not the bulb.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 04:58:28 PM »

My understanding of fog lights, from the automotive world, is that they aren't about the bulb, but the lens.  Intended to be mounted as low as possible on the front end to cut under the layer of fog on the road, fog light lenses project a thin vertically, wide beam of light as opposed to a far-reaching, more concentrated one.  This is done with lens configuration, as the fog lights I have had on my cars and trucks, both factory and aftermarket, all used conventional bulbs mounted behind fog-specific lenses.  I've had very effective fog lights that used H3 halogen bulbs and the ones on my present vehicle use 9006 bulbs, the same as in the headlights.  Again the fog light lens is very different, not the bulb.

Right on the money!  Beam pattern is what differentiates a fog lamp from a driving lamp or a headlamp, and that beam pattern is created by reflector and/or lens design.  Theoretically the more yellow light will be more effective in fog, but there are plenty of "white" fog lamps that use the exact same bulb as their driving lamp cousins.

Of course, this doesn't solve the question of what to use to match the color of the HID headlamp.  I haven't seen anyone come up with a convincing match yet.  Perhaps what is needed is some fiber optic magic to pipe the light from the HID generator to the spots along with the headlamp, therefore creating a perfect match.  One of you entrepreneurs needs to develop an all-in-one system specifically for motorcycles with spots. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 08:52:07 AM »

I have the PIAA 880 installed in the passing lamps...............and happy!! a lot of difference and here in the pic the comparison..... :2vrolijk_21:

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 09:07:22 AM »

I have found a company that sells various color scale bulbs and have ordered a set of 881 12000k  bulbs to see if I can match my 12000k hid headlight.
I will post picts when I get them installed.

I do not want to endorse any product or company until I see the product and summarize the quality.
Who knows? I might get lucky and get a decent product.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.