Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help for a friend who HATES his Road Glide  (Read 8137 times)

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Help for a friend who HATES his Road Glide
« on: December 17, 2008, 04:40:39 PM »

I am checking in for a friend who owns a '08 Road Glide (non CVO).  He called me up last night asking me what I like about the Ultra.  I explained several different aspects.  His concern is with the tour pak. He has had several different touring bikes all with out the tour paks.  He moved to an HD wanting more of a touring bike but found he gets beat up by the buffering off the fairing and it almost knocks off his glasses.  He has tried different windshields and they have not helped and the only thing he can attribute it to is the fairing and that can't be changed without major work. His big questions are, "is it comfortable, is it bulky and heavey or is it something I'll get used to and is the height of the bike a problem?"  I told him that the height is going to be higher than the Road Glide but there are things he can do to change that.  I told him that he will be happy with it and he should not have any wind problems.

I am just polling this to see what others might be able to say to help him make a decision.

Thanks guys,

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Help for a friend who HATES his Road Glide
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 04:46:27 PM »

Have him rent an EG before he buys one. Waaaay puzzled on his opinion of the RG though.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 04:51:13 PM »

Have him rent an EG before he buys one. Waaaay puzzled on his opinion of the RG though.

I mentioned this to him too but here in Michigan we have snow now and renting a snomobile is in not a bike. LOL I gave him a thought to so south and rent one but he is not sure if he can get time off to do that right now.  Yeah the buffering thing is driving him crazy.  He has talked to alot of people who don't understand what he is talking about. He also mentioned that he feels stretched out and it is just not comfortable for him.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 04:56:45 PM by 49445CVO »

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 06:12:26 PM »

There are ways to stop the buffeting on the Road Glide beginning with getting the proper windshield for the rider. I have a 11-1/2" height Clearview GT Small and it works great for me. I also have a Cee Bailey's 10" dark tint for warm weather riding and it gives me a bit more wind in the face feeling. Installing lowers on the Road Glide also helps to get rid of the buffeting. Handlebars with more pullback will put him in a better seating position so that he would not feel so stretched out. People either love or hate the looks and feel of the Road Glide so if he likes the looks there are things that he can do to almost completely eliminate the buffeting.

It sounds to me that a Ultra Classic is what he would actually be more comfortable with especially if he feels too stretched out of the Road Glide. When I have sat on the Ultra Classic (at the dealership) I felt cramped much like the windshield is right in my face and my arms are against my body. I feel more stretched out on the Road Glide, but I prefer the roomy feeling. On the Ultra Classic, all he would have to do is take off the tour-pak and change out the seat for a lower profile seat. He could even consider a Street Glide and save a few bucks. I have no experience with the Ultra Classic so I cannot address any buffeting issues on this bike. I would also agree that he should rent a Ultra Classic and see if he likes it any better than the Road Glide. I don't taking a bike for a demo ride would be enough.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 07:19:50 PM »

Another option would be a street glide , lighter,no Tour Pack, lower seat height. Just a thought.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 07:25:39 PM »

If you friend thinks the fairing on a Road Glide is an issue, he will absolutely HATE any of the EG models. Visually I like all of them and I am not dissing any member's bikes. ALL Harley's are beautiful in my opinion, BUT, the Batwing fairing is handlebar mounted and in my opinion is a LOT more prone to feeling like God is holding your handlebars and not you. One of the reasons I bought a Road Glide over an EG when I sold my Road King is the stability of the fixed fairing. I think your friend should check out a Road King with the removeable windshield because if he doesn't like a Road Glide he's going to hate an EG.

Just m $0.02

B B

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 08:31:36 PM »

I think your friend should check out a Road King with the removeable windshield because if he doesn't like a Road Glide he's going to hate an EG.

Yip, agree with Brian and we've both had or still have RG's and RK's. Fly N' Ride is sure cheaper than buying one after a few miles around the dealership and never putting much time in the saddle to see how you really like it. Now there's $0.04 in the kitty.  :2vrolijk_21:

Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Red07

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 04:29:03 PM »

I had a 00 SERG and i think that if he doesn't have a deflector on the bike that may be the problem. Without it winds blows up between the frame and the faring like a wind tunnel it does on a bat wing also but not as bad. It can be fixed for about 10 to 15 bucks this will help with the part about with his glasses.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 04:36:12 PM by Red07 »

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »

RED07, your right about the lower deflector helping with glasses. it's a little worst fore me i only have one ear.

axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

rmarion

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 08:56:28 PM »

I have two shields........

one for my custom DG seat which lowers me 2"

and my standard shield..........

SIZE = IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERANCE......... ;D
2006 FLHTCUSE - Candy/Black
SERT
SEAC
Branch Head Work
BP 595 cam gear drive
2:1 RB Racing Black Hole
Hawgwired Speakers & Amps
Rock & Roll Paint
Danny Grey Seat

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 05:49:28 PM »

Thanks guys, I will pass this on

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 08:09:09 PM »

I also have an '08 RG, and experienced the same buffeting issue when I first got it.  The first thing I changed was the windshield - I went with a Clear View +2".  That helped a lot, but it still was too  "windy" for my liking.  My miracle cure was a set of soft lowers - I used the Leader brand, but Harley has them also.  I paid around $60 for them.  They make a world of difference.  Now I have the best ride I have ever had on a Harley.  For $60 he should give them a try, the RG really is the best road bike Harley makes - in my opinion of course.

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

Red07

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 09:39:56 PM »

I also have an '08 RG, and experienced the same buffeting issue when I first got it.  The first thing I changed was the windshield - I went with a Clear View +2".  That helped a lot, but it still was too  "windy" for my liking.  My miracle cure was a set of soft lowers - I used the Leader brand, but Harley has them also.  I paid around $60 for them.  They make a world of difference.  Now I have the best ride I have ever had on a Harley.  For $60 he should give them a try, the RG really is the best road bike Harley makes - in my opinion of course.

Bill

I agree Bill i hate that i sold my 00 SERG it came with lowers and they protect you better that with a batwing because they come alway up to the faring.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 09:24:24 AM »

There are a couple members here in Nor Cal that have both SEEGs and the 09 SERG and they say the same thing about the wind buffeting on the SERG.  Andy's tried several windshields and I think he finally got one that he can live with but he says there is definatly more wind about the head and face.  Understandable, since it's a smaller fairing.

If there's too much snow to rent then it's not a decision that he has to make right now, anyway.  When it warms up and the snow is gone and he's able to start riding again, then he can go rent one.  One thing he might try besides a taller shield is a flip face helmet.  The Nolan N102 is the quitest helmet I've ever owned and I have more than my share of helmets.

Several members here have removed the tour pack from the Ultra Classic but I'm not sure how they go about the wiring or amp.  I can tell you that everybody says the same thing about riding an Ultra Classic......"I never would have guessed that they handle so easily".  And the new chassis on the 09 model is an incredable difference (that's coming from somebody who still rides an 04 but have rode an 09 on mulitple occassions).  Renting for a day or two.......there's no reason for somebody to buy a bike that they're not sure about, now days. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 21 queries.