Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Size matters  (Read 886 times)

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
Size matters
« on: January 04, 2009, 06:29:44 PM »

If you have to look threw the wind shield, trimming may be necessary. Taller Lexan shields (such as factory HD  shields) can be trimmed to size with a simple tin snips and sanding the edge. multiple steps down to 600 grit will give a nice factory finish. Lexan is very Flexible, resilient and cuts easily. Acrylic shields are brittle and can only be trimmed by carefully sawing. I have done quite a few Lexan trims with perfect results. The first thing is to find your line of vision with a piece of tape. Then cover both sides of the shield with 2" masking tape for protection. Mark your new line and cut. copy the original shape. Do not remove the tape until the trim and sanding is complete.  factory HD shields are lexan and  trim nicely with this method. Sticking with the original profile and not over trimming corners will prevent buffeting problems. on the other hand buffeting can be eliminated by tuning the corners with modest trimming. Another option for the less than bold would be, mark the vision line and take the shield to your local glass shop for trimming. Hope this offers another option for anyone looking for a perfectly sized wind shield.  :2vrolijk_21:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

JP

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEFB Sold
    • CVO2: 09 SERG o/b
Re: Size matters
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:59:45 PM »

If you have to look threw the wind shield, trimming may be necessary. Taller Lexan shields (such as factory HD  shields) can be trimmed to size with a simple tin snips and sanding the edge. multiple steps down to 600 grit will give a nice factory finish. Lexan is very Flexible, resilient and cuts easily. Acrylic shields are brittle and can only be trimmed by carefully sawing. I have done quite a few Lexan trims with perfect results. The first thing is to find your line of vision with a piece of tape. Then cover both sides of the shield with 2" masking tape for protection. Mark your new line and cut. copy the original shape. Do not remove the tape until the trim and sanding is complete.  factory HD shields are lexan and  trim nicely with this method. Sticking with the original profile and not over trimming corners will prevent buffeting problems. on the other hand buffeting can be eliminated by tuning the corners with modest trimming. Another option for the less than bold would be, mark the vision line and take the shield to your local glass shop for trimming. Hope this offers another option for anyone looking for a perfectly sized wind shield.  :2vrolijk_21:

I cut mine on my ultra, i took the windshield off the bike pushed it flat on a table and marked where i wanted to cut it on the bottom, then used a jig saw to cut it, then i put the piece i cut off (on top)of the bottom and traced the profile and then cut it with my jig saw again. that way i had the profile and did not have to cut the part that shows. good luck.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:04:02 PM by JP »

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
Re: Size matters
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 07:11:01 AM »

I have cut a few also, what works for me is useing a poster board to trace the original windshield profile, then cut the poster board and tape up the windshield and tape the poster board on to the stock shield and trace it onto the tape thats on the shield. I freehand the trace at the wider spot on the shield to flair it in nicely. And I cut useing the methods above.Also finish off the same way as above posts.  Doc

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 25 queries.