Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SERK HID lighting?  (Read 2307 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
SERK HID lighting?
« on: December 29, 2008, 02:30:56 PM »

I need some help on locating the right lighting ASAP, I'm trying to order the right kit to take advantage of the 25% off that one of our vendors has offered and I think I have only one day left. I'm 55 and my night vision sucks and is getting worse as I age. I already had them checked and was told it was part of aging and that I would have to learn to live with it. Geez thanks alot I already knew that! Last summer while returning rather late from Laconia we got caught in a moderate to a heavy rain storm, it was also pitch dark out. I don't scare easily but I don't ever want to go through that again. I had to try to kepp up with the cagers when I could so I could use their rear lighting so I could stay on the pavement. The country roads where the broken branches lay across the roads were the worse. Stopping to let the storm pass was not an option.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

SERK lighting part 2
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 03:10:44 PM »

I accidentally hit the wrong botton on the computer so the first part of the post was sent in without it being completed, I had a loss of power earlier and had to start over and now I screwed this one up as well. I'm very frustrated with these darn computers and I'm about ready to just read and not post a darn thing, I'll try to finish.

I have an 08 Serk that I eventually want to have the front lighting upgraded with the lighting bar, auxiliary lighting, relocate the directionals etc. similar to what many of you have completed and displayed on this site. For now I just want the right headlight, I will go through the old post for part numbers to complete the project at a later date. I was leaning towards the HID light kit part# 68043-06B $524.95 on page 644 in the 09 HD catalog. Last Saturday I went to the local dealership where I have a few guys that treat me very well and will answer my questions honestly even if I plan to make the purchase elsewhere such as this one.
Well I talked to 3 different guys and got 3 totally different pieces of advice. The parts guy agreed with me and said the HID kit worked extremely well especially lighting up everything remotely close to the bike. The second guy told me he had a customer return the HID kit for the Dual Bulb Headlight Kit part#67864-04A on the same page. It seems after he installed the HID kit it didn't perform significantly better than his buddies bike who had the Halogen bulb which cost $360 less. Finally the last guy I asked surprised me by suggesting that I go aftermarket for the entire kit. I'm not one to purchase HD parts just to keep the company going but I do want to be able to have parts readily available in the event that I'm far from home when parts are needed. (been there - done that)
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm also thinking of you guys to! You might find yourself having to share way to much road with me if we should meet up on some dark road and your coming the other way. I don't know if this info helps identify the type of lighting I need but I live in an area that is loaded with big old pine trees and I'm continually finding branches (some quite large) across the road, so I need to be able to see these at night. Help keep this old coot safe and on his side of the road when it's dark out.

Ray G,

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: SERK lighting part 2
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 03:32:17 PM »

I accidentally hit the wrong botton on the computer so the first part of the post was sent in without it being completed, I had a loss of power earlier and had to start over and now I screwed this one up as well. I'm very frustrated with these darn computers and I'm about ready to just read and not post a darn thing, I'll try to finish.

I have an 08 Serk that I eventually want to have the front lighting upgraded with the lighting bar, auxiliary lighting, relocate the directionals etc. similar to what many of you have completed and displayed on this site. For now I just want the right headlight, I will go through the old post for part numbers to complete the project at a later date. I was leaning towards the HID light kit part# 68043-06B $524.95 on page 644 in the 09 HD catalog. Last Saturday I went to the local dealership where I have a few guys that treat me very well and will answer my questions honestly even if I plan to make the purchase elsewhere such as this one.
Well I talked to 3 different guys and got 3 totally different pieces of advice. The parts guy agreed with me and said the HID kit worked extremely well especially lighting up everything remotely close to the bike. The second guy told me he had a customer return the HID kit for the Dual Bulb Headlight Kit part#67864-04A on the same page. It seems after he installed the HID kit it didn't perform significantly better than his buddies bike who had the Halogen bulb which cost $360 less. Finally the last guy I asked surprised me by suggesting that I go aftermarket for the entire kit. I'm not one to purchase HD parts just to keep the company going but I do want to be able to have parts readily available in the event that I'm far from home when parts are needed. (been there - done that)
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm also thinking of you guys to! You might find yourself having to share way to much road with me if we should meet up on some dark road and your coming the other way. I don't know if this info helps identify the type of lighting I need but I live in an area that is loaded with big old pine trees and I'm continually finding branches (some quite large) across the road, so I need to be able to see these at night. Help keep this old coot safe and on his side of the road when it's dark out.

Ray G,

The SERK already has the dual-bulb setup. To improve the lighting substantially, replace the stock Halogens with HID lighting in the stock Duasl-Bulb Housing. I have that and FLHR Aux Light Bar with PIAA Extreme White bulbs in them. I'm very happy with the setup. :2vrolijk_21:

Contact Jim (hd-dude on this site) for application and pricing. He supplied my HID's, and some of my friend's. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: SERK HID lighting?
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 07:33:14 AM »

I went with the Kuryakin (X-citing Lighting) HID unit and were I to go the HID route again I'd have done HD.  The one I have is certainly not plug and play (have to splice in connectors) and barely fits the nacelle even with the extension ring they supply.  I went to HID after riding through the Black Hills at midnight and having to use high beam just to see where the road was curving next.  But, starting over again I think I would have instead upgraded the existing system.  I understand the low beam can be swapped with a higher wattage bulb with just a little modification of the locking tabs on the new bulb.  Then I'd put better spot lamps in the auxilary lights.  The people I ride with say the HID looks a lot whiter, but it isn't nearly as much of an upgrade in visibility as I thought it would be.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »

Thanks for the help guys, I certainly appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I kind of expected more input from guys who had installed the HD HID set up but without your help I would not know where to turn. I sent Jim (HD Dude) an e-mail last evening so hopefully I will have all the info I need to make the right decision.

Thanks again

Ray G.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 03:16:28 PM »

Ray just saw your post. I too have the dreaded eye thing going on. Just couldn't see to drive at night. Went to MB in the spring. The K guys had there tent and I got the HID headlight and the LED running lights. they put them on for free. took about an hour. Almost the same color and man it is night and day difference. I can see at night, but so can everyond else as well. Best money I've spent on the bkie.

BigLew

Brinks

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Silver/Blue
    • CVO2: 2008 SERK Annie
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 08:11:41 PM »

If you do a search for HID you'll a lot of great info both HD and aftermarket HID kits. :biggthumpup:

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.