Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: installation of the new Garmin Zumo 660  (Read 6368 times)

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
installation of the new Garmin Zumo 660
« on: January 11, 2009, 01:28:05 AM »

I'm still in the beginning phase of research but was wondering if I could jump start it with some advice and input from you. I just bought a new FLHTCUSE4 and can already see the shortcoming of the MoCo GPS system. I have been a big fan of Garmin over the years so I'm going to buy a Zumo 660 when it becomes available.

I've done some comparison on the Garmin web site and other blogs on the 660 vs. 550 and I convinced myself I should buy the new technology even though there seems to be some minor features that the 550 has that the 660 does not, such as XM but my bike has it built in already. I want the 2 year newer technology (better resolution on the screen, WQVGA color TFT, 25% more battery life, superior bluetooth A2DP technology, qwerty keyboard, speed limits on roads, hwy lane assist, 3D building view, etc.)

I plan on buying a pair of high end J&M headsets integrated into Arai helmets that plug into the bike and use the Garmin 660 bluetooth to pair my phone with the 660 so I can accept and make phone calls through my headset and also have XM radio, CDs, CB, and intercom also piped into the headset. From my research, in order to have the phone come into my wired headset, I need to buy a J&M kit for about $270 that allows me to answer the phone with a button attached to the handlebars that when it's engaged, it turns off all other access to the other audio inputs and when the call is over, you flip the switch again to get your other inputs available again. Here is a link to the J&M web site so you know what I'm talking about.   http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=CFRG-HDC-ZMO550&PF=6

From my understanding, you need to use the AUX in on the bike for this set up, which won't be as clean and potentially not good sound over time, but I read a post here from HD-Dude http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=10044.0 where you can create your own internal AUX-in by doing some soldering in the radio and then apparently directly wire the Zumo out into the MoCo input through the fairing rather than the jack on the radio in front. I don't want to buy the $270 J&M kit if I don't have to.

So my question is, does anyone have suggestions how to accomplish what I want, which is to have all the MoCo radio features that come with my bike, plus have telephone access all included in the Arai integrated helmet/headset with a nice clean look and install (and maybe not have to buy the $270 J&M kit)?

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:11:57 PM by rheiner »

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: installation of the new Garmin Zumo 660
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 02:35:33 AM »

So my question is, does anyone have suggestions how to accomplish what I want, which is to have all the MoCo radio features that come with my bike, plus have telephone access all included in the Arai integrated helmet/headset with a nice clean look and install (and maybe not have to buy the $270 J&M kit)?...

Harley's obsolete part number: 76408-06
A brand new one just sold on ebay for $336.19 (Sorry Sporty, I didn't get it  >:() You will be hard pressed to find another one any time soon.
Your best bet for now (according to your requirements) is to go with the J&M's setup.
Jim's (HD-Dude) Tech Tip only addresses adding an additional AUX jack in the back of the radio. You will then have two. Don't use both simultaneously!
To answer your question about using the phones MP3 player through the Zumo, it is my understanding that the Bluetooth protocol will not allow this. I know there have been changes in v2.0 but I don't think this is possible yet. What you are asking for is true two way communications via Bluetooth.
I'll try to think of another way to accomplish what you're trying to do.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 02:38:41 AM »

Someone else posted another way a few days ago: http://www.cellset.com/harley.html
I do not know of anyone using it. It sounds like it would work. It is still going to cost you about $250 +++(?)

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:16:53 AM »

Someone else posted another way a few days ago: http://www.cellset.com/harley.html
I do not know of anyone using it. It sounds like it would work. It is still going to cost you about $250 +++(?)

I haven't tried this, maybe tonight, but can you Bluetooth pair to the the HK radio without the hands free module installed? The reason I'm asking, the Cellset you posted looks like it would work in the same manner our Harley hands free kit works. And I am now thinking the actual Bluetooth module is installed in the HD radios. If this is the case, I think you found our solution  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 11:26:17 AM »

I haven't tried this, maybe tonight, but can you Bluetooth pair to the the HK radio without the hands free module installed? The reason I'm asking, the Cellset you posted looks like it would work in the same manner our Harley hands free kit works. And I am now thinking the actual Bluetooth module is installed in the HD radios. If this is the case, I think you found our solution  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

The HK radios don't have bluetooth capability.  The external module must be added to gain the capability.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 03:37:44 PM »

The HK radios don't have bluetooth capability.  The external module must be added to gain the capability.

o.k. that answers my theory..

thanks

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »

When I ordered my new Arai helmets with the integrated J&M headsets from Sierra Electronics, I asked Jeff about the $270 J&M kit that allows you to flip a switch on the handlebar and talk on your bluetooth paired cell phone (through the Zumo 660) into the Arai helmet. He said Sierra sells it for $229 which was nice to hear. He had a lot of praise for the product, which included getting your cell phone calls through both speakers in the headset and a choice of not even answering the call after seeing the caller ID pop up on the Zumo screen. I asked him why it is so expensive for just a switch and some wires. He told me there are relays and other electronics that come with the kit that go inside the fairing to make it all work seamlessly. I think I'm going to give it all a try once the Zumo 660 becomes available, unless I hear about better options and alternatives in the meantime.

Last night I went to Best Buy and looked at the Garmin Nuvi 880, which is very similar technology of the Zumo 660. I wanted to see what I might expect in the 660 even though the 880 isn't suitable for motorcycles. I tested it by pairing my cell phone to the 880 and all my Microsoft Outlook contacts, no fewer than several hundred, became available to make telephone calls, etc. I also know I'd use the microSD port for mp3 music. I'm looking forward to the release of the Zumo 660.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:06:47 AM by rheiner »

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:46:17 PM »

FYI  Kennedy does not recommned a headlight modulator be used with their products.

In about 30 days I should have another option in my hands and ready to install on my 07 Ultra.  Cost will be a lot cheaper than anything else out there.  The guy thought $67 was going to be to much so another guy & I offered him $75 a piece to go ahead and make us each one and he is but it is going to take 3-4 weeks to get the parts and build for us.  Do a google search for  "my name is buddy rich bluetooth"  Make sure to use the " ".  It should be the 2nd hit and will be a post dated Dec 22 2008 on another forum.

Once I get mine and get it installed I will let you all know.

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.