Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bob woods TW5G cam  (Read 2792 times)

electraglidese

• Love to ride

• CVO1: FLHTCSE 2004
Bob woods TW5G cam
« on: November 18, 2005, 11:49:14 AM »

Has any one with a stock 103 cvo bike changed out their cams to woods tw5g gear drive cams. What mods have you done, roller rocker ? compresion ? etc.
I read a post that claimed he had to grind about .020 off of the cam cavity to keep the cam from hitting the case. Any feed back would be nice Thank You

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Bob woods TW5G cam
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 11:58:40 AM »

Has any one with a stock 103 cvo bike changed out their cams to woods tw5g gear drive cams. What mods have you done, roller rocker ? compresion ? etc.
I[highlight] read a post that claimed he had to grind about .020 off of the cam cavity to keep the cam from hitting the case.[/highlight] Any feed back would be nice Thank You
electraglidese,

The slight grinding of the case is part of the gear drive install, no matter whose cams you use.  Due to variations in the castings, some will require more and some less.  I believe S&S, the folks who invented and patented the gear drive, includes a template with their gear drive kit that will show you how much, if any, material needs to be removed.  It doesn't require any major machining, and can normally be handled with a small die grinder or even a Dremel tool.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 12:15:59 PM »

There are two areas of concern for clearance when installing the gear drives. The first is the cam chest cover. One of the bolt bosses on the inside of the cam cover needs to be shaved down a bit to clear the gear. This one is no big deal.

The other one is the clearance of the cam lobes on the engine case itself. They can hit at the lifter area and or at the area above the manshaft bearing. The most recent swap I did was to a Zippers 657 in a Heritage. I had to remove about 1/8 from the area above the main bearing. It is quite involved as you need to clean all of the oil from the area first, plug up all passages, tape off the main shaft bearing and begin to cut away. Jims has a jig with a cutter head that connects to a drill that makes this easy. I used a die grinder. The toughest part is the clean up after. Getting all of the aluminum out of the chest is a B!tch.

Having said all of this the Wood 5g with a .575 lift probably will not need any clearancing inside the case. The cam cover will most likely need to be clearanced.

Good Luck

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 05:41:01 PM »

Not sure on the clearance for the lobes, but can tell you the stock heads do NOT support the lift in this cam out of the box.   Remember all the threads they only support up to .550 lift.  You will also need to clearance your rockerboxes besides modifying your heads to support this cam.

TW55g is prolly a better choice if you dont want to do the head work.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 25 queries.