Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Great price on SE Pro Super Tuner ( what to do)?  (Read 3383 times)

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Great price on SE Pro Super Tuner ( what to do)?
« on: February 02, 2009, 06:13:08 PM »

So I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I need some input.
            Went to local dealer today; they have a winter special reads as follows:
     SCREAMIN EAGLE PRO SUPER TUNER $495.00 plus tax.
     Includes SE Pro Super Tuner, Labor, and Dyno use, and horsepower / torque print out.
     I had made up my mind to do the TTS Master Tune, and have a trusted local, aftermarket, bike shop due the tuning
     with their dyno. They want 5-6 hours labor $70.00 plus the TTS master tune, I think master tune is better, but I don't
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

Re: Great price on SE Pro Super Tuner ( what to do)?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:19:14 PM »

Continuation of my post
     price on dealer special is a lot cheaper... thoughts?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:20:31 PM »

Hey motor1,

It's very subjective.  I have the SERG but two close friends with the CVO Ultra (08 & 09).  The Ultras need a higher flow intake.  Either the SE high flow or heavy breather.  (HD's or aftermarket).  Big issue is the cat.  That will hold you back a lot.  Then the exhaust, of course.  So, my $.02 is that you need to decide what you want on the bike first.  It's the whole package and how it runs together that gives power.  The SERT and dyno tune come last.  $495 is a good price.  I have a good relationship with my dealer service and got a discount but not that good.  Good luck!

Greg

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 10:34:25 PM »

Hey Greg, my fault, probably the worst new post ever; I have a set of 1.75 Fullsac baffles, I absolutely love them. My air cleaner is stock, however I am going to change over to the new air cleaner from HD, (same as the one used on the 09 SE Road Glide). I am just trying to figure out if the TTS Master Tune is $500.00 better than the SE Super Tuner.

eddfive

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 08:25:08 AM »

There is one table for tuning in MasterTune that seperates it from the other software tuners currently.  This table is PE AFR Table.  If this table is set correctly then you might see a slight improvement in the WOT HP/TQ.  At the end of a tune all of the software tuners that tune the Delphi ECU will yield the same driveability and rideabilty.  You need to decide if you want to spend the extra money for a slight improvement.  I am not trying to start a debate which tuner is better here just pointing out the one difference that can change the WOT tune and will end up with a more complete tune.

I would get a complete understanding from the dealer as why labor is an issue, and what is meant by dyno use?  Sounds to me that they are going to sell you SEST, flash a canned map on your bike, do a WOT hp/tq run and call it a day.  This whole process will take less than an hour.  This is not such a great deal as you will end up with a canned map and the bike will not be optimized for performance or driveability.  It sort of depends on your goals for your bike.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:31:47 AM »

Everything I've found out is that it's the shop doing the tuning, not the tuner itself, within reason.  So if you have a reliable shop that knows brand X well, you'll have the best results with Brand X.  Whereas someone else may go to zippy the pin head tuner who doesn't know squat about Brand X and then hates their Brand X and bad mouths it.  Their are some limits to this theory as you get into a full blown hi-po engine that's compeletly rebuilt with all racing parts, but for most of us with just A/C and Slip Ons any tuner should do AS LONG AS THE SHOP KNOWS IT and is willing to tune it to a proper air/fuel mixture.  Some dealers wont because of EPA laws and fear of getting busted.

The moral of the story is that $495 is a great price.  As long as they're really going to tune the bike and not just slap it in and set according to some base map they found somewhere.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 08:32:35 AM »

More than 1 bike, the multi master tune..and the factory restore is a nice function.
I have ssert but will make due..it is ok.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 01:30:18 PM »

Whereas someone else may go to zippy the pin head tuner who doesn't know squat about Brand X and then hates their Brand X and bad mouths it.  

I've used Zippy the Pin Head tuner and he perfers the SERT over Brand X
Jesus is Lord

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 01:43:59 PM »

Just my thoughts, but 5-6 hours to tune, when all your adding is pipes and AC seems like a lot. If you did a major build, heads, cams, TB, something like that, then maybe 5-6, but for what you getting done, I would think 3-4 would be adequate time to do a good tune.

Craig

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 03:29:20 PM »

Just my thoughts, but 5-6 hours to tune, when all your adding is pipes and AC seems like a lot. If you did a major build, heads, cams, TB, something like that, then maybe 5-6, but for what you getting done, I would think 3-4 would be adequate time to do a good tune.

Craig

I got to thinking today, and called a dyno guy we all know in AZ. There are a few customers that just HAVE TO HAVE their VE tables EXACT at every 250 RPM.
I was riding my EVO last Sat, and a friend following me mentioned that when I got on it, there was a little black smoke coming from the exhausts (true duals). I explained to him that it's a carbed bike (S&S) and my accel pump is set up a little rich. It was interesting to see the blank look on his face not knowing what I'm talking about (he has an '09 CVO Ultra, thus, F.I.).
We now have the capability to get our new bikes tuned to the proverbial "perfect 100% map" and a lot of tuners will try just that. Local dyno guy around here will take from 6-12 hrs to dyno a bike. Is that needed? Probably not, is it wanted? Guess so, some people are doing it!
I'm not too concerned if I'm getting 115 or 117 HP at 6500 on the dyno on my EVO, it's fun to ride, and has "just about enough" horsepower for my needs!
My '09 is pretty much stock, but, I WILL get a tuner on it, and play with the maps myself. Some programs will allow you just that. After I'm done, I'll hook it up to the dyno, just to see how far I'm off that "perfect tune"...yep, fun times ahead!
Best advise? Like most here have said, get a local wrench you are comfortable with, and have fun!
HOGMIKE

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 06:47:23 PM »

motor1,

Are you looking for every last little bit of power? If not you can do it yourself with a laptop and Mastertune. So the only cost is the product and some of your time. Then you can take it to a dyno afterwards if you really want to get the last little bit of power out of it. So compare those cost and I think you will find Mastertune by far is cheaper and does a much better job. Now as far as what it can do the others cannot there is quite a list that we can get into on that. How many others can make a copy of the bike before anyone touches it? How many others can calibrate the speedo? Then there is the PE mode the others don't have as well. The list of features you get with Mastertune that get you a better tune that no others can do goes on and on (it's a lot more than one table as some would like you to believe). Software updates are free and there is a large library of base calibrations already there for you to start with.

One thing to remember is that we made and own the SERT so anyone who has ever used that already knows how to use Mastertune. That opens you up to thousands of dealers worldwide who have used and tuned with our products on the HD bikes.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:56:04 PM by Steve Cole »
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 09:42:28 PM »

motor1,

Are you looking for every last little bit of power? If not you can do it yourself with a laptop and Mastertune. So the only cost is the product and some of your time. Then you can take it to a dyno afterwards if you really want to get the last little bit of power out of it. So compare those cost and I think you will find Mastertune by far is cheaper and does a much better job. Now as far as what it can do the others cannot there is quite a list that we can get into on that. How many others can make a copy of the bike before anyone touches it? How many others can calibrate the speedo? Then there is the PE mode the others don't have as well. Software updates are free and there is a large library of base calibrations already there for you to start with.

One thing to remember is that we made and own the SERT so anyone who has ever used that already knows how to use Mastertune. That opens you up to thousands of dealers worldwide who have used and tuned with our products on the HD bikes.

What he said.....

The Mastertune self tuning capability is really fantastic.  Get with user Doc 1 on here, he is outstanding and very knowledgable on the Mastertune, and offers a member discount.  You certainly won't be disappointed.  He can also get the throttle by wire "dead spot" at take off fixed with the Mastertune.  I have no experience with the ssert, but the Mastertune impressed me very much.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 10:38:28 PM »

Thanks to everyone for your input, ( I love this site!) I am mulling over the feedback, and the possibilities and will share my decision when I decide. Thanks again.
                           William

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 25 queries.