Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Shift RPM????  (Read 13268 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Shift RPM????
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 09:20:43 AM »

Not sure why but there is a considerable difference between my 08 SERK and 09 SERG regarding this topic. My 08 could not be run below 2600 rpm without feeling as if it were "lugging". The 09 on the other hand will go to 2k no problem. Gearing  :nixweiss:

Howie

I don't have the exact numbers here in front of me, (going to take a SWAG at it) but the '08 had a combined 1st gear ratio of 9.312 and on the '09 they changed the rear sprocket from a 68 to a 70 I believe and that dropped the 1st gear ratio to 9.5 something.  This was not much of a drop.  The EVO Industries clutch basket change from a 46 tooth to a 49 tooth on the primary side gives an overall drop of about 8%.  This in my opinion would be a nice change across the board on these bikes.  I'm sure it would drop the EPA City/Highway ratings, but I guess after tweaking our fuel via reprogramming most of us are not overly concerned about economy.

As far as the riding and this post goes, it reminds me of my very old VW days when they had the RED dots on the speedo to let people know when to shift.  I guess I've been too much of a motor head all my life and actually I could care less about a tach on anything.

Over the many years of driving/riding vehicles on and off the roads, and quite a bit of dune riding in my younger day too, I've grown to "feel" and listen to the motor of the vehicle.  There is a sound that they ALL make that is their HAPPY place.  No, no beautiful blond in white a bustier with garters and white stockings as in Happy Gilmore's happy place, but more of a "I like running right here and I'm comfortable here" rpm.

I agree with most here that just because of a low rpm does not mean that you are lugging a motor.  Also saying that you should not shift into a gear under a certain rpm will be lugging, it all depends on the load and the throttle applied.

Believe me, most of us know when a motor is lugging and it is not a happy place to be.  I get lazy as most of us probably do.  When getting caught in traffic and you slow down and then speed up again, sometimes you try not to downshift when speeding back up, but as soon as the motor says "I need more rpms" I either downshift into the next lower gear or I ease off on the throttle and take it a lot slower on my acceleration back up to speed.  This really depends on lots of things, but I never look at the tach to decide what to do.  I feel and listen to the motor talking to me.

I know, it sounds hokey, but I've done this all my life and I've had great success with my process.

Not to poo poo the rpm shifting charts, there is a place for these.  I think there are people that ride that do not have the "ear" for how a vehicle operates or how or what makes them tick.  In this case having a guideline to follow is a good thing.

Sorry for the ramblings again guys/gals.  My fingers just won't shut up...  ;D  ;D  ;D
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 10:24:04 AM »

I always keep rpm over 2000. I think i shift around 3500 at minimum. :drink:
Ridin Legend

HawgSounds

• The Ultimate in Harley Sound Systems
  • Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • The Ultimate in Harley Davidson Sound Systems

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2005 CVO Electric Glide
    • www.hawgsounds.com
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 10:28:33 AM »

I Ditto that Dan. :orange:
Motorcycles Unlimited -Hawg Sounds
269 S Beverly Drive Unit 201
Beverly Hills, Ca 90212
1-877-888-2788

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 10:30:41 AM »

Never quite understood these "at what RPM do I shift" discussions.  First off the bikes aren't the same from machine to machine.  But that's irrelevant.  If one can't tell by the sound and the feel where you're at on the profile you probably aren't talented enough to be watching the tach while you're riding anyway.

Does asking "at what RPM should I shift" mean that if on a bike without a tach someone would just never shift?  Listen to and feel the engine.  It will tell you when you're on the cam or leaving it.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 10:38:32 AM »

Too many variables to really have a set shifting standard.  If the road is flat & dry & you are 1 up, shift pattern is different than when the road is very steep and dry & 2-up with a big load of gear.  Also, cruising rpm will vary based on the same - flat roads vs hilly roads, etc.

I do look at the tach occasionally to see where the engine is "happy", based on the road/load/etc.  Pay no attention to the tach as far as shifting - listening is a better gauge - for me.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 10:45:07 AM »

Too many variables to really have a set shifting standard.  If the road is flat & dry & you are 1 up, shift pattern is different than when the road is very steep and dry & 2-up with a big load of gear.  Also, cruising rpm will vary based on the same - flat roads vs hilly roads, etc.

I do look at the tach occasionally to see where the engine is "happy", based on the road/load/etc.  Pay no attention to the tach as far as shifting - listening is a better gauge - for me.

Yeap, you may use your foot.  But if you don't shift by your ass and your ears you're like the old SNL band.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 11:03:25 AM »

Yeap, you may use your foot.  But if you don't shift by your ass and your ears you're like the old SNL band.

Howard Shore & His All Nurse Band?   :nixweiss:

G.E.Smith? 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 11:05:31 AM »

Howard Shore & His All Nurse Band?   :nixweiss:

G.E.Smith? 

Yeah, make me side it with my outside voice.  The Not Ready for Prime Time Players :huepfenlol2: .

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 04:52:22 AM »

Never quite understood these "at what RPM do I shift" discussions.  First off the bikes aren't the same from machine to machine.  But that's irrelevant.  If one can't tell by the sound and the feel where you're at on the profile you probably aren't talented enough to be watching the tach while you're riding anyway.

Does asking "at what RPM should I shift" mean that if on a bike without a tach someone would just never shift?  Listen to and feel the engine.  It will tell you when you're on the cam or leaving it.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 11:25:09 AM »

I agree.  Rode scooters for many years w/o any instruments.  But, I do like having the tach because once you learn your particular engine/bike, you tend to glance at it often enough to log that visual info for those times when you can't hear or feel as good as you might want..... just gives additional input while riding.   :)spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 02:00:45 PM »

I agree.  Rode scooters for many years w/o any instruments.  But, I do like having the tach because once you learn your particular engine/bike, you tend to glance at it often enough to log that visual info for those times when you can't hear or feel as good as you might want..... just gives additional input while riding.   :)spyder
The tach comes in handy for me as the Hawg-Wired runs interference  ;)  :huepfenjump3:   :drink:
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.