Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: crank run-out question ?  (Read 4368 times)

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
Re: crank run-out question ?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 09:13:45 PM »

a welded crank means sending the crank out to a truing company like dark horse.

they true it to .001 or better and weld and plug the crank so it cant get crooked later

to

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 11:00:51 PM »

Have you had the Product Improvement Program done?  You'll get new gaskets and new heads.

It's in for the Product Improvement now -that's when I decided to have the crank checked again. I've got an FLHRSE3 (SE Road King) and the Product Improvement doesn't include new heads.

a welded crank means sending the crank out to a truing company like dark horse.
they true it to .001 or better and weld and plug the crank so it cant get crooked later to

My dealer seems to think there is a local company that can weld the new crank. I wasn't aware that a pressed together crank could be trued and then welded. Guess I need to talk to these Dark Horse guys to learn a little more! I'll probably be starting with a new crank whether it comes from the MoCo or directly from someone like Dark Horse.

Now if I can just figure out what to do with the cylinders...  :'(
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »

It's in for the Product Improvement now -that's when I decided to have the crank checked again. I've got an FLHRSE3 (SE Road King) and the Product Improvement doesn't include new heads.

My dealer seems to think there is a local company that can weld the new crank. I wasn't aware that a pressed together crank could be trued and then welded. Guess I need to talk to these Dark Horse guys to learn a little more! I'll probably be starting with a new crank whether it comes from the MoCo or directly from someone like Dark Horse.

If you're willing to go aftermarket on the cylinders also many have had good experience with the Axtell jugs.  They've proved to be a good product.

REGGAB

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 06:10:08 AM »

There are plenty of folks out there who can true, weld, and balance a crank for you.  Rod's Performance http://rodsperformance.com trues, welds, and balances cranks sent to him from all over the country, everyday, and he is very good, if not, the best, at it.

Axtell.  Simply the best!

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 03:17:49 PM »

Thanks all for the information. I'll definitely be checking into some aftermarket hardware.

Gremlush Sorry about the  :jack:

To get back to your original question, yes I started with at least one good factory crank that had runout of .001 or less, and had the flywheels shift after about 10,000 miles. No left bearing problems that I know of, but I plan to go Timken the next time it goes together.

Whenever that is...  ???  :( I wonder where Hoist found the flying pig pic?  ;D

S&S T124
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 01:19:09 PM »

I asked for the heads and got them.  Why not for the Road Kings?
Any day on the bike is a good day.

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 03:20:06 PM »

My Product Improvement letter only included new cylinder gaskets (base seals), head gaskets, and top end gaskets. It also included relpacement of the ACRs. One or both of my ACRs are definitely toast.

Apparently, from what I've seen on this site, the SEUCs are the only ones getting new heads. Not sure of the logic behind that one, but I'm sure the MoCo has our best interests in mind...

The MoCo has agreed to replace my rear cylinder (again  :o ), but more importantly, so far they are REFUSING to replace my scissored crankshaft that has .018" of runout. The bike was about 2 months outside the original 2 year w.....ty when I took it in, and about a month outside the 1 year warranty for the previous dealer replaced crankshaft. As mentioned in a previous post -the factory installed crank had to be replaced at 10K miles and now the replacement crank is bad 10K miles later...  :(  :( I'm slightly bummed.  :nixweiss: Well, maybe a little more than slightly.  :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:
S&S T124
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 05:42:30 PM »

We have seen new bikes, that have .014. No doubt that was assembled incorrectly.
Have also seen them with almost non-measureable amounts.
To insure they stay that way we put 2 weld stiches on both sides. 

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 10:23:51 AM »

Product improvment letter that is funny.  Cranks in the CVO engines tend to be all over the place from good to bad. Having done a few dozen of these now. I have seen where over 60% had great cranks.  Only a few that where in the over .010 range.  I dont think I would say that every one out there is junk by any means. The new bikes are in a lower run out range.  :2vrolijk_21:
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 10:30:06 AM »

!

crewchief25h

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 10:56:51 AM »

I have checked my runout three times now...  It was .0018 each time...  No idea if it will stay there or not...  But, so far, so good...   :nixweiss:

I know of a 07 with 1400 miles that ran fine, normal vibration, no noise from the primary.

All at the same time, a chrome inner primary, evolution compensator gear & chain, SE clutch was installed and a burn out on concrete to top it off.

Took the bike down the road vibrated like crazy, slapping noise from the primary, pulled it back apart after some looking, crank was .038 tweaked.  Without a doubt it was not this way before... What did it?  

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 11:35:11 AM »

I know of a 07 with 1400 miles that ran fine, normal vibration, no noise from the primary.

All at the same time, a chrome inner primary, evolution compensator gear & chain, SE clutch was installed and a burn out on concrete to top it off.

Took the bike down the road vibrated like crazy, slapping noise from the primary, pulled it back apart after some looking, crank was .038 tweaked.  Without a doubt it was not this way before... What did it?  

That would be my guess...

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 12:12:52 PM »

That would be my guess...
;D ;D ;D ;D  All that's missing from this story is a call to HD Customer Service ranting over the *#**## cheap ass Chinese crank......

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 06:02:26 PM »

My Product Improvement letter only included new cylinder gaskets (base seals), head gaskets, and top end gaskets. It also included relpacement of the ACRs. One or both of my ACRs are definitely toast.

Apparently, from what I've seen on this site, the SEUCs are the only ones getting new heads. Not sure of the logic behind that one, but I'm sure the MoCo has our best interests in mind...

The MoCo has agreed to replace my rear cylinder (again  :o ), but more importantly, so far they are REFUSING to replace my scissored crankshaft that has .018" of runout. The bike was about 2 months outside the original 2 year w.....ty when I took it in, and about a month outside the 1 year warranty for the previous dealer replaced crankshaft. As mentioned in a previous post -the factory installed crank had to be replaced at 10K miles and now the replacement crank is bad 10K miles later...  :(  :( I'm slightly bummed.  :nixweiss: Well, maybe a little more than slightly.  :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:

Seeing about 40-45% of the ACR's on the heads that come in are buggered.
2 mo. out of warranty, and they won't even help??
That'd make the average guy mad enough to slap his mother.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 25 queries.