Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: se air breather (wrong bolts)  (Read 1608 times)

JP

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEFB Sold
    • CVO2: 09 SERG o/b
se air breather (wrong bolts)
« on: February 23, 2009, 09:43:28 PM »

I had a SE cone shaped air breather put on my 09 serg and the bolt`s were wrong so they had to be changed out. My ? is ,my buddy had one installed on his 09 street glide, do the bolts need to be changed on his as well . Or is this just on the serg?    Thank`s  JP

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
Re: se air breather (wrong bolts)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 10:06:33 PM »

I had a SE cone shaped air breather put on my 09 serg and the bolt`s were wrong so they had to be changed out. My ? is ,my buddy had one installed on his 09 street glide, do the bolts need to be changed on his as well . Or is this just on the serg?    Thank`s  JP

There are a few different types of breather bolts. If you don't have the right ones in, you'll create huge negative pressure on the motor because the crankcase can't breath. I know because this happened to me when I installed the touring heavy breather on my 08 SERK. After a short test drive the engine quit and smoke was pouring out of the breather and exhaust for a few seconds. I opened the oil cover, and negative pressure rushed in like the sound of a shaken pop can. I had it towed to the dealer and they determined the incorrect breather bolts were not installed. I was confused because the touring heavy breather kit said to use the same bolts. I think my problem was that I had the dealer put on a Stage 1 kit first, and apparantly the breather bolts were different for that kit. They put my stock breather bolts back on and everything worked well after that.

JP

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:31:08 PM »

There are a few different types of breather bolts. If you don't have the right ones in, you'll create huge negative pressure on the motor because the crankcase can't breath. I know because this happened to me when I installed the touring heavy breather on my 08 SERK. After a short test drive the engine quit and smoke was pouring out of the breather and exhaust for a few seconds. I opened the oil cover, and negative pressure rushed in like the sound of a shaken pop can. I had it towed to the dealer and they determined the incorrect breather bolts were not installed. I was confused because the touring heavy breather kit said to use the same bolts. I think my problem was that I had the dealer put on a Stage 1 kit first, and apparantly the breather bolts were different for that kit. They put my stock breather bolts back on and everything worked well after that.

I have the stock bolts on mine now, no problem (at this time) but the dealer ordered me the right one`s that were talked about on the site. I gave him the part # i got off the site. My buddy had one put on his 09 serg and had a problem, why am i not having a problem? Same stock bolt`s used on both. :nixweiss:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 04:53:44 PM »

If you have the directions to the heavy breather a/c, they say to use the "stock" breather bolts.   So your friend with the street glide is fine.  The new SERG came with a high flow a/c already with non stock breather bolts.  That was the source of the problem.  If you search "SERG breather bolts" you'll see the prior discussions. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JP

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:44:58 PM »

If you have the directions to the heavy breather a/c, they say to use the "stock" breather bolts.   So your friend with the street glide is fine.  The new SERG came with a high flow a/c already with non stock breather bolts.  That was the source of the problem.  If you search "SERG breather bolts" you'll see the prior discussions. 

Thank`s

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.