Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Diving front end  (Read 999 times)

re-tread

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Diving front end
« on: October 01, 2005, 05:42:20 PM »

Has anybody else noticed that the front end of the 2004 seems to bottom out when going over  a good size bump in the road. I'm not talking pothole, but a good side dip?

I have 19000 miles on, and I don't  seem  to remember noticing this before, I have recently bumped up my rear shocks to from 15 to 25 pounds, could that make a difference?  The suspendion is all stock.

Way back I did change fork oil to Screaming Eagle brand.

SE air box
Reinharts
Race Tuner

JimsSEEG

• Full CVO Member
Re: Diving front end
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 08:16:23 PM »

re-tread,

Have an 05,but in general - if the front end seems to be diving more than in the past, I would consider a couple of things to check: first - flush the fork oil and re-fill with new. second, would check the unladen height of the bike and then check another 04 to see if the from springs are sagging.

If the front end seems to still be diving with new oil and the springs are ok, then you may conside either changing the fork oil to a heavier oil (slows rebound and compression since the oil is thicker)  - drawback is the ride will seem stiffer. The other choice (which I have done on all my bikes) is add 1 ounce additional fork oil to each fork leg.

If the front end still seems to dive, then dig out the catalogs and consider new springs...

Jim
Jim

"Ophelia"

"pull that thing in here - it's not running good enough to scatter sh*& with a hay rake...."   E.K.

re-tread

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 09:14:14 AM »

Thanks Jim. makes sense - I was hoping it wasn't too serious
SE air box
Reinharts
Race Tuner

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 10:51:40 AM »

Most likely cause is fork spring sag - O.E. springs are famous for this (all, not just H-D).  I recommend Progressive Suspension springs, have used them several times in the past and they've been excellent.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JimsSEEG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 11:18:01 AM »

I've used Progressive's as well on the Fatboy I had. Only thing I didn't like was Progressive suggests using PVC spacers cut to length. Progressive spring length + spacer length = stock spring length. Once I got the springe dialed in (that's another dissertation) I got steel pipe from Home Depot and cut them the same length as the PVC pipe and used large washers between the spring / spacer and the spacer / fork cap.

Other than that, Progrsive makes a good spring - reasonably priced. I think when I boght my last set from Wally's was about #70 with shipping. Couple of hours later and poof - new ride!

Jim
Jim

"Ophelia"

"pull that thing in here - it's not running good enough to scatter sh*& with a hay rake...."   E.K.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 25 queries.