Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chassis stabilizers..real deal or snake oil?  (Read 9134 times)

clegg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG, Black & Orange. 106 stroker, 585 S&S gear driven cams, SE billet cam plate w/ SE oil pump, 52mm S&S throttle body with closed loop VFI system, Vance & Hines 2 into 1. Headwork by Leo Hess at Full Blast Engineering.
chassis stabilizers..real deal or snake oil?
« on: February 21, 2009, 09:17:31 PM »

Does anyone here have first hand info on these things? Do they work..whats best..any actual noticeable difference in handling? I like the new progressive unit, looks ok and wont break the bank, but don't want to spend 200 bucks on snake oil that does nothing.
Semper Fidelis

JDLEE

• Junior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride!!
Re: chassis stabilizers..real deal or snake oil?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 01:25:39 PM »

I have the Tru-Track on my red 05 and it made a significant difference in handling, especially in curves and on "slotted" roadways (you know, the rain or traction slits in the road). It is the only one I have tried, so can't comment on other versions that are out there.

:)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 05:33:38 PM »

Does anyone here have first hand info on these things? Do they work..whats best..any actual noticeable difference in handling? I like the new progressive unit, looks ok and wont break the bank, but don't want to spend 200 bucks on snake oil that does nothing.

I think you'll get a hardy, YES for everyone here that has them on pre-'09 bikes.  I'm not sure about '08 bikes though.

I asked a similar question some time ago specifically about the new '08 engine setup.  I don't think I got any feedback on the question about the '08 only mount/stabilizer setup though.  I know the '08 frame is the same as earlier model touring bikes except for the moving of the front stabilizer link from the lower front up to the head on the '08 touring bikes.

So to take JDLEE's question a bit further, what is the verdict on the '08 touring bikes, does a stabilizer add-on really help the '08s as much as the '07 and before bikes?

Inquiring minds would like to know........

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 05:37:36 PM »

I have the Tru-Track on my red 05 and it made a significant difference in handling, especially in curves and on "slotted" roadways (you know, the rain or traction slits in the road). It is the only one I have tried, so can't comment on other versions that are out there.

:)

Second That  :2vrolijk_21:
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »

I have the Bagger Brace on my o7 and I have noticed a substantial difference in the way it corners and rides over the grooves on the freeway. I was not a believer when everyone said it would make a great improvement.....but now am a believer

Lkn4advtr

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 07:06:44 PM »

is that the tru track brace? . I installed a center stand on my 08 casper and im told i cant put on a tru track now.i sure get the cornering wobble and would love make it go away. Do i have to choose between a center stand and a true track system? are there different types of "tru track" systems.
Bruce
'Rollin down the highway, Lookin for adventure"

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »

I have the Bagger Brace on my o7 and I have noticed a substantial difference in the way it corners and rides over the grooves on the freeway. I was not a believer when everyone said it would make a great improvement.....but now am a believer

ditto...

I think the Bagger Brace is a well engineered piece...  looks good and functions well...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 08:58:49 PM »

If I accellerate through a turn, like turning right on a green light, sometimes I feel like the rear wheel is breaking loose.  Is that the "cornering wobble"?  If so, the 08's definately have it. 

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 04:37:56 PM »

I don't think they're snake oil at all.  In fact, I think all of them serve their purpose well.  I'm particularly fond of the TWR "Missing Link."  I used to have it on the Green Bike, but took it off when I had the engine rebuilt since I saw proof during the rebuild (on a different transmission housing) that they can elongate the screw holes, strip the threads, and nothing good comes of that.  I went with STA-BO inserts in my rear swingarm bushings and have had the same stability effect as the rear stabilizer.

bxbutch

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 07:08:42 PM »

The progressive unit does the job at a reasonable price Butch

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 07:41:49 PM »

is that the tru track brace? . I installed a center stand on my 08 casper and im told i cant put on a tru track now.i sure get the cornering wobble and would love make it go away. Do i have to choose between a center stand and a true track system? are there different types of "tru track" systems.
Bruce

Bruce, not all stabilizers mount in the frame dogbone (brace that runs from left to right frame tubes), which is also where the center stands mount.  The Tru-Trac does mount there and can't be used with a center stand, but others that don't attach to the dogbone are possibilities.  Check out the Ride-Str8 http://www.ridestr8.com/ or the Progressive Suspension version http://www.progressivesuspension.com/tourlink/index.html or one of the many other brands out there.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

clegg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG, Black & Orange. 106 stroker, 585 S&S gear driven cams, SE billet cam plate w/ SE oil pump, 52mm S&S throttle body with closed loop VFI system, Vance & Hines 2 into 1. Headwork by Leo Hess at Full Blast Engineering.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 09:55:43 AM »

Well, I did a ton of searching on HD forums all over the net. Without fail people say they help. Any of them. It also appears that in the end they all work the same basic way. It is just a matter of what you want to spend. Alloy art money or Progressive Suspension money. I have ordered the progressive suspension unit. The price is right, and heck, it's Progressive Suspension. How bad can they screw it up? Hopefully this will cure my "do I have a low tire?" feeling. I know It is not fare to expect my SERG to handle like my Buell, but I can at least strive for a little improvement right?
Semper Fidelis

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 12:14:07 AM »

I have the Ride-Str8 on my mine, and I don't recall if it made much of a change.

I can tell you though switching form Dunlop's to Metzlers was a significant improvement.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 12:40:04 AM »

Had the Tru-Track on my 02 Road Glide, loved it, makes a huge difference in the handling.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

clegg

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »

The metzlers have come up countless times in chassis threads as well. They will be next.
Semper Fidelis

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 25 queries.