Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starter problem.....  (Read 1780 times)

eagle.b

Starter problem.....
« on: April 05, 2009, 07:26:53 PM »

The last couple times I started my bike I couldn't help but notice that it would take a few turns and make and ugly grinding noise before starting. Once she starts she runs like a clock. Out for a ride on my 05 sefb today and the same thing happened, after stopping for a coffee, she didn't want to start at all, all I get is the starter winding, no turn over at all. My dilema is, when I bought the bike last summer, the guy told me he just put a new starter on, if this is true is it possible its gone already?? Has anyone experienced similar problems that I can check before taking it to the dealer?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Starter problem.....
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:37:04 PM »

From your description it most likely is the starter clutch that has died. Is about $100 for a new one and about 1.5 hours labor. The starter needs to be removed to do the job.

eagle.b

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 08:22:53 PM »

Thanks...

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 06:33:16 AM »

I have had the same problem on my fatboy & I believe the stock starter bendix is a piece of crap. Their days are numbered from new, I say this because mine always started a bit funny from new & when it finally chit itself I bought a decent new bendix. It changed the whole starting of the bike it seems to start at the touch of the starter button since I replaced the bendix. Check them out on this link (life time warranty with these)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220390450577&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

I am not to sure about HD dudes time on replacing it in an hour an a half as in my expierence on the 05 fatboy you need to remove the oil tank, not that it is hard to do but it is time consuming considering all the others bits that need to go to get to the oil tank & starter, you also will need new motor oil & primary oil.

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

eagle.b

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:56:10 PM »

Not sure if I'm getting hosed but I took the bike to HD dealer. They want $500.00 CDN ( $400 usd) to change the starter clutch.

Thoughts????

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:15:36 PM »

Not sure if I'm getting hosed but I took the bike to HD dealer. They want $500.00 CDN ( $400 usd) to change the starter clutch.

Thoughts????

Not that I would like to be paying the $500 but it is quite a big job.

Drain primary & remove primary cover
Drain motor oil
Remove rear wheel & stone deflector
Possibly remove exhaust
Remove seat & Battery
Remove oil lines
Remove oil tank
Now finally you can get to the starter

Remove starter & disassemble remove bendix overrunning clutch & replace with a new quality unit (hopefully not a genuine HD one) reassemble, test & refit on bike

reassemble the rest in reverse order then refill primary & engine to correct levels.

I would call this a 4 -5 hour job if you had no other complications

Cheers
Aussie

FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 25 queries.