Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Leak on my 110  (Read 2658 times)

springervett

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Springer 105th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic 110th Anniversary
Another Leak on my 110
« on: February 19, 2009, 06:56:15 PM »

Just got my bike back from the dealer. On a 50 degree day about a month ago this winter (only happened once here this year) I pulled it out of the garage, started it up and warmed it up thoroughly. Put it in gear and moved it up and down the driveway a couple times before putting it away. The next day I go out to the garage and there is a puddle of oil under the bike. Had the dealer pick it up (didn't want to ride in snow) and look it over. In addition to the oil leak, I had them install the scream'in eagle shift linkage (bought here/highly recommended) and some chrome bolts. The tech said the leak was from the oil drain on the primary. He said he "fixed" it by putting teflon tape on the bolt. Does this sound like a proper fix? Also, after reviewing the paperwork, I noticed that they didn't note the leak nor the "fix". Called the service rep and she told me she didn't know why it wasn't on the paperwork. I am admittedly skeptical regarding what I've been told at the dealer, but this seems suspicious. I'm I just paranoid? This was the third time the bike has been in the shop for an oil leak since I bought it (recall/enhancement work done after it leaked driving it off the showroom floor). Only 1111 miles on the bike!  Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Another Leak on my 110
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:38:11 PM »

Just got my bike back from the dealer. On a 50 degree day about a month ago this winter (only happened once here this year) I pulled it out of the garage, started it up and warmed it up thoroughly. Put it in gear and moved it up and down the driveway a couple times before putting it away. The next day I go out to the garage and there is a puddle of oil under the bike. Had the dealer pick it up (didn't want to ride in snow) and look it over. In addition to the oil leak, I had them install the scream'in eagle shift linkage (bought here/highly recommended) and some chrome bolts. The tech said the leak was from the oil drain on the primary. He said he "fixed" it by putting teflon tape on the bolt. Does this sound like a proper fix? Also, after reviewing the paperwork, I noticed that they didn't note the leak nor the "fix". Called the service rep and she told me she didn't know why it wasn't on the paperwork. I am admittedly skeptical regarding what I've been told at the dealer, but this seems suspicious. I'm I just paranoid? This was the third time the bike has been in the shop for an oil leak since I bought it (recall/enhancement work done after it leaked driving it off the showroom floor). Only 1111 miles on the bike!  Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Unless I am working off a dead spot in my brain, seems as though the primary drain plug seals on an o'ring - not the threads.  I change the o'rings on all the drain plugs as part of each oil change.  I have never used teflon tape, nor have I ever experienced a leak at a drainplug....  If I were you, I'd stay skeptical...   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:05:25 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 07:41:34 PM »

I suspect the tech fixed exactly what the problem was with the leak.  I do a partial wrap of teflon tape on all of the oil plugs as a precautionary measure to leaks.  Can't tell you why, but occasionally they do seem to work loose or weren't torqued properly when they were replaced after oil changes.  Lot's of people tighten them by feel and get by with it, but the safest way is to spend a couple of extra minutes and torque them to manual specs.  As far as the tech not writing it up, I think that depends upon the shop.  Quick, free fixes such as the one you describe are often not written up when taking care of regular customers. 
I'd not worry much about the new incident.  Since you've had the enhancement done, ride it, enjoy it and if you have any more problems take it back.  My guess is you won't.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 08:33:45 PM »

Many shops do not change the o ring on the plugs at oil change intervals.  Jim (hd dude) has shown me a few of our old ratty ones  after previous oil changes at dealers shops. 

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 09:46:39 PM »

When I did my first oil change...both plugs had, (looked like white liquid sealer on the threads, from the factory), I removed the sealant and installed two new o-rings. I asked the dealership about the white sealant...they had no answer. I've changed the oil 3 times now...(changing the o-rings every time)with no leaks! Muddy
Save The Wave...

RK2000

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 09:59:21 PM »

The white stuff on the drain plugs is thread sealent. It is used as a back up to the "o" rings, or so I'am told.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 09:42:37 AM »

The plug is designed to seal with an o-ring.
If it leaks with an o-ring then something is wrong with the the plug - the o-ring - or the case.

Teflon tape is not the answer.

The sealer may just be an assembly "tool" to make sure the plug is installed and torqued at initial assemble.

Odds are once dirty oil has flowed out of the drain you will never seal it again with any type of "thread sealer"

I would go back to the dealer, maybe not right away, but go back and have them explain themselves as to why they did that and not fix the underlying problem.

O-rings are cheap. I have about 4 of each hanging on a hook in my bike cabinet, usually change them every time.

Primary drain plug - straight threads - no need for Teflon tape
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 12:35:34 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 07:49:03 PM »

If it leaks with an o-ring then something is wrong with the the plug - the o-ring - or the case.

The sealer may just be an assembly "tool" to make sure the plug is installed and torqued at initial assemble.

Odds are once dirty oil has flowed out of the drain you will never seal it again with any type of "thread sealer"

I would go back to the dealer, maybe not right away, but go back and have them explain themselves as to why they did that and not fix the underlying problem.

O-rings are cheap. I have about 4 of each hanging on a hook in my bike cabinet, usually change them every time.

OK, I'll bite. What are the chunks of metal from?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 08:57:38 PM »

Exactly right....   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Odin

• Freedom isn't Free

• CVO1: '08 SE Road King Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 11:44:01 PM »

Don't really know what your problem is but teflon tape is not the answer.  Being a mechanic in the navy most of what I deal with are water and oil systems.  Teflon tape is designed for water systems.  Oil systems will dissolve it over time.  I've seen it many times when some nub puts teflon tape on a gage fitting to stop it from leaking.  It works for a couple of weeks then starts to leak again.  Take it off and the tape is now just stringy goo.  As for the white thread sealer I wouldn't call it a back up to the o-ring but when used with an o-ring it makes the seal better.  Just keep in mind that some of that thread sealer(and teflon tape too for that matter) will work its way into your oil or whatever system your sealing.  Don't know how much difference that makes on bikes but to a nuclear reactor the wrong thread sealant can cause horrible corrosion and possible failure of piping or components.  Just my 2 cents

J
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 12:08:48 AM by Odin »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 10:56:33 AM »

Thread sealants are designed for tapered pipe threads, which due to the design of the threads and how they mesh do not seal automatically, no matter what many folks think.  Just grabbing the first thing in the plumber's tool box and slapping it on a straight threaded and O-ringed or gasketed plug is not a fix.  Now, if someone stripped some of the threads in the primary case and didn't want to own up to it and replace the damaged part, I can see where a few wraps of teflon tape may allow the plug to be tightened enough to keep it from falling out or leaking until the next oil change.  Not saying that is the case here, but I have seen it done.

As other's have said, have them fix it correctly.  Once you are sure they aren't just trying to cover up a screw-up, eliminate this problem in the future by changing your own fluids. 

Jerry
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 11:59:16 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

springervett

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Springer 105th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic 110th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 09:47:05 PM »

Thanks everyone. I have since talked to another service rep and mentioned the information posted on this thread. She acted almost offended and assured me that the tech replaced the "o" ring. Warmed up the bike as best I could in the driveway when I got it back (not going anywhere...5 inches of snow today), so far no leaks. I guess all I can do is keep an eye on it. Rep also said that the repair was on a separate warranty ticket, so everything is documented.

REGGAB

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 10:14:05 PM »

My 02 FLHR primary drain plug doesn't have an o-ring............something I recall from my days as an 02 Ultra owner.  Straight from the book, it says: 
Clean drain plug. Apply Loctite Pipe Sealant with Teflon
565 to threads and install plug back into primary chain-
case cover.

No TQ is specified.

I've never used the specified pipe sealant.  I've always just cleaned the plug and drain and reinstalled the plug.  Never had a leak. 

TORKER07

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 02:14:46 AM »

Save yourselves some $$$$, I get my o-rings at McMaster.com  "McMaster-Carr"  they are only $8.70 per hundred, enough to last a lifetime or share with your buddies.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 01:26:39 PM »

Great info on the O-rings....my stealer charges $1.30 each!!  I knew it was a rip, but not that much!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 26 queries.