Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Air filter/throttlebody changes  (Read 1086 times)

popper

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Air filter/throttlebody changes
« on: March 15, 2009, 02:21:14 AM »

Does anyone know what changes were made to the throttle bodies from 08 to 09? Did Harley change throttle bodies? The reason I ask is I am trying to put the air filter and cover from a 09 CVO Road Glide on my 08 CVO Road King. There seems to be a difference in the dimension from the body opening to the breather connections. I measured on the backside of the backplate with a straightedge across the two breather ports to the face of the throttle body opening and came up with a 3/16" difference. The newer design being shorter. I decided to make a spacer to go between the backplate and throttle body. It appears this will work. Everything seams to draw up evenly. I haven't actually mounted it yet because I am waiting for a new filter which was backordered. I am thinking about putting the original air cleaner back on because the weather looks like it might get nice enough to do some riding. I see that Harley offers a kit to do the same thing I am doing except it is only offered for 09 bikes. I am hoping my mod works because I really like the looks of the newer air cleaner. Does anyone see a problem using this spacer? Thanks.
Keep your knees to the breeze.     
Keep your knees to the breeze

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Air filter/throttlebody changes
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:11:28 AM »

The throttle bodies did not change to my knowledge. The 08's had an enclosed airbox and the 09 SERG has the open element with a different backplate. There is a bracket that goes between the back plate and heads that bolts on the top of the throttle body. It is about 3/16" thick. This bracket is on the standard models and i do not think they are on the SERG. I will check the parts manuals when I get to the shop in the morning and let you know for certain.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 25 queries.