Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hawg Wired - Not so good  (Read 4860 times)

JP

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEFB Sold
    • CVO2: 09 SERG o/b
Hawg Wired - Not so good
« on: February 27, 2009, 01:49:24 AM »

I just finished my install of my DCS/SX Hawg Wired system. I am not very impressed for $675.00. Not very much base,i have my base setting set as high as it will go,still not alot of base. Does anyone else have this model DCS/SX and how do you like it ?

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
Re: Hawg Wired - Not so good
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:53:17 AM »

Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:02:03 AM »

I just finished my install of my DCS/SX Hawg Wired system. I am not very impressed for $675.00. Not very much base,i have my base setting set as high as it will go,still not alot of base. Does anyone else have this model DCS/SX and how do you like it ?

the bass is what it is, someone here installed a sub, :nixweiss: as i'm sure that would give you some thump. :orange:

in my 08tr i have the 4 channel as the bike is a tourglide. it rocks :huepfenjump3:
my 09tr has the 2 channel, it lacks a bit compared to the 4 channel but much better than stock. :2vrolijk_21:

where i notice the most difference is @ highway speed, the hawg-wired performs. :orange:

on the 4 channel there is adjustments that need to be addressed.

where do i put my dvd player?? :P

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:06:51 AM »

Hey DJs , just ride , that rocks most . Back to basic on a 30k heavy scooter .  :bananarock:
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

JP

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27558.0;all

Is this the same ?
I don`t think i have the same set up as J. Kerr. I think he has the PCS/CX double shot, but not sure. When i crank it up i think it sound`s pretty good, but at low volume`s it does not sound that great. Not that i am looking for that big thump on the base side, ( way to old for that ), I just thought that for $675.00 plus tax and shipping it would sound a lot better than it does.

Dragon42

• Full CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 11:29:39 AM »

The DCX amp has internal crossovers.  Do you know if they are adjustable?  Also, can you upgrade to the SX speakers, and would that make any difference?  It might be good to call Hawg Wired, and see what they say.  I was definitely leaning towards the system you bought due to the simplicity.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 12:22:59 PM »

Not very much base,i have my base setting set as high as it will go,still not alot of base.

Both Hawg Wired 2 channel systems use 5.25" speakers.  You're not going to get much bass.....  You can put bigger speakers in the fairing or bags (subs) but have to drill holes to hear them.  Can't recommend that. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JP

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 12:30:25 PM »

Both Hawg Wired 2 channel systems use 5.25" speakers.  You're not going to get much bass.....  You can put bigger speakers in the fairing or bags (subs) but have to drill holes to hear them.  Can't recommend that. 

Thank`s Greg, I had high hope`s for this system, because it had fairly good review`s here. It is just a notch above the stock system, That`s my.02

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 12:43:03 PM »

the cx speakers are there top of the line. at 90mph it was hard to hear the stock system. i now can listen to talk shows if i wanted to at 90. it also helps to adjust the variable volume on the hk unit.

sitting in the parking lot you can't tell that much difference. well maybe.

a hefty price indeed but well worth it imho.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

JP

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »

the cx speakers are there top of the line. at 90mph it was hard to hear the stock system. i now can listen to talk shows if i wanted to at 90. it also helps to adjust the variable volume on the hk unit.

sitting in the parking lot you can't tell that much difference. well maybe.

a hefty price indeed but well worth it imho.

TN

Thank`s TN, where is the adjustment on the HK ?

JP

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 01:43:37 AM »

Change of heart on the hawg wired system. Sound`s pretty good, think i`m going to keep it.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 05:54:57 PM »

I agree, not much bass. But the midrange and highs are super. Very clear. Those are what you hear while riding---or what you don't hear at high speeds. You'll like it after you try it more.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

JP

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 02:31:56 AM »

I agree, not much bass. But the midrange and highs are super. Very clear. Those are what you hear while riding---or what you don't hear at high speeds. You'll like it after you try it more.

Thank`s ... I agree also, the midrange and highs are very clear.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 12:59:09 PM by JP »

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 08:51:49 PM »

The base issue isn't a HW problem.  A 5.25" speaker isn't going to put out a ton of base even in a car.  The woofer simply isn't big enough to push enough air.  What I was going after was volume and clarity.  I like being able to hear the words of a song when riding.  It was impossible with a stock system over about 40 mph.  HW has this nailed.  I don't have ton of base, but I do have a heck of a lot of volume (db's).  I've measured over 100 db's out of this thing, which is very impressive from such a small amp and 2 5.25" speakers.  People behind me riding in cars with windows up hear what is playing on my radio now days ;)

FWIW, the HW systems support a sub out.  You'd need another amp, but it's doable.  The rub is if you are willing to give up some space and you are bold enough to drill big holes in your bike.  Subs need lots of air or they are ineffective.  They cannot be fully enclosed without the case being ported.  The saddlebags are the best place to mount a sub.  You can configure it to reflect toward the rear tire.  The rotation of the tire will reflect the sound back and up when riding. There are several marine grade subs on the market that would easily fit in the SERG saddlebags. 

karl

• CVO2: FLSTFSE-sold
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 08:39:37 AM »

Last week in Daytona I checked out the HW system, it really didn't impress me.  I had my wife convinced to buy two systems(she has an 09 FLHX) but it didn't make that much difference for the money.  We went over to J&M listened to their replacement speakers and bought them, they sounded great, the new head units using 2ohm speakers seem to take less power to drive them.  Went back to the house we rented installed them, zipped onto 95, cruised at 75 and they sounded great.  As someone else stated there is no way to get any bass out of two 5. something speakers in a motorcycle fairing, we did notice the shark nose did sound better than the bat wing?

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 25 queries.