Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HOW EASY IS IT?  (Read 2452 times)

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
HOW EASY IS IT?
« on: March 19, 2009, 06:11:53 AM »

Hi guys & gals,

I just received the 0906 "improvement kit" for my 08 CVO Springer and was just wondering how easy it is to remove the rocker casings and  rockers in order to get to the ACR's so I can replace them.
I do see that some of the first long bolts holding the covers are pretty close to the frame, so I wonder how it is done. In the manual they talk about some special tools that I don't have, so anyone who has done it might be able to help me out here. My bike does not leak so I will just do the ACR's I know they are shot.

Here in Spain it's better to do the work yourself; very few experienced mechanics to trust them  :-X

http://imageevent.com/wforest/cvogasketacrprogram0906;jsessionid=cx9z07hyk4.zebra_s

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 06:24:51 AM by Spanish Flyer »
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
Re: HOW EASY IS IT?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 01:18:19 PM »

you really and truly need the actual factory manual & proper tools - either order the tools or make them.

the manual tells you exactly how to remove parts, what tools you need, order to do the work, torques to use to put it back together, and cautions you need to follow.

dont skimp on cash - just get the manual and the tools - you will be sorely sorry if you dont have them in hand.

note - on harleys web site they list the valve cover wrenches you need to buy or make. i make about half my tools and buy what i cant make.

you also realize that you will need all your valve cover gaskets to do the acr's - when the head gasket goes - you will need another set of valve cover gaskets.

tim olson

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 02:42:32 PM »

Hi Tim,
Thanks for your message; I already have the manual (Both CVO and Softail factory manuals) and there they do mention those special tools. HD-47248 & 58. I also need the ACR Solenoid socket HD-48498, but the real problem lies on the fact that neither book gives you a detail explanation, step by step with pics that always help a lot. It is a fact that even though having been a bike mechanic, this will be my first Harley I take apart, so I'll need all the help I can get.
In the workshop manual they start off with the removal of the 6 bolts that hold the rocker cover, but surely you need to remove the tank and to do that you need to release the injector line pressure, then you have to empty the tank due to the bypass ASO... ???

It would be great if someone from the forum had done some sort of step by step report about the removal of the ACR's

The reason I don't do the headgasket is mainly because it doesn't leak and the fact that if I do it I would have to remove both cylinders with all that that entails (ring compression tool etc, etc) I will however keep the rest of the 0906 kit and add only new rocker box gaskets for when I really need them.

Best Regards,
Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 09:54:19 PM »

the manual is sort of obtuse

but it has statements similar to "strip for service" and a page number

so you have to sort of work back and forth

you have to remove the tank and lines etc before you can pull the valve covers

so you search through the manual for each part that has to be removed before the part where you are actually doing the work

if it makes you feel any better i have a 1972 era 14" zubal lathe and i really struggle with the manual... and i struggle with the terminology....

to

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 10:03:52 PM »

Most of the specialty tools are listed here on HD's website. Go to the second page for ACR & ACR tool.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 10:05:49 PM by hard10 »

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 05:16:43 AM »

Thanks to both Timo482 and hard10,

I fully agree with you about having to struggle with the manuals to get a clear idea of what they mean; it looks like a bad translation from German to English  :D; that's why I was asking if someone having done the ACR replacement had some nice pics and an explanation, but I guess I will be the one to make this report; in the mean time I will go out for a ride to burn out all the gas in the tank, because it's completely full.

And thanks to you too hard10, because I had just ordered the special tools from my dealer in Quincy and  as it happens, the references on the manuals do not match the one's on the Harley webpage you sent me  :nixweiss:

Ok, now let's hit the road, it is a lovely sunny morning here in northern Spain (and the first official Spring day in this part of the World).

Thanks again,
Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 05:19:42 AM »

forgot to mention you...Air-Cooled, but thanks for the link.
BR,
Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 25 queries.