Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil pressure problem  (Read 1775 times)

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
Oil pressure problem
« on: October 30, 2005, 10:37:53 PM »

I've noticed the last two times out on the bike my oil pressure gauge showed oil pressure at the first hash mark which I'm quessing at about 5-7 psi. when the bike is at idle and the air temp today was only 37 in the morning to 75 in the afternoon. Once I hit the throttle a little the psi would climb up but then fall back. On the roll it is about halfway or 32 psi. The pressure would then be up to 25 or more once the bike was shut off for a short time and runs fine. When the pressure was low some pinging was noticable. I'm wondering if the oil pump has picked up some debris even though it just came out of it's 20k service, or if the oil pump just plain has a defective part. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Not real comfortable about running it till I get it checked out, or if some of you guys can help me out with some info..
BTW at no time was any tapping, knocking, clattering, noises. Just that the gauge is showing low pressure.
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Oil pressure problem
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 10:53:47 PM »

Oil pressure at idle when the bike is warmed up can be down as low as 5-7 psi, it should come up as you increase rpms. If there was no noise I don't think i'd worry too much about it.

On a side note, Have you checked your cam shoes? When they start to wear the pieces fall into the cam chest and get sucked into the oil pump. I suggest checking your filter for any yellowish pieces of plastic. Check out this thread for the damage done to an oil pump with only 15k on the clock:http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1125534944/0

HDJamsTX

• Full CVO Member
  • It's Hammer Time!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 08:38:19 AM »

My oil pressure is about the same 7 at idle and 32 at cruising speed.

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 08:46:57 AM »

hd-dude,
  That's what I was thinking yesterday when it low, your thread I read awhile ago about the cam shoes. I'd like to see the pressure up abit from that. I havent been eyeballing the oil gauge all summer but I'm thinking it may have been down there more than I have seen. But 5-7 aint 0 and no noises, so I guess I'm okay.
  I want to change out my cams this winter, to gears, so that will take care of the shoes. I'm still up in the air as to what cams to go with.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 08:56:51 AM »

My oil pressure is about the same 7 at idle and 32 at cruising speed.

HDJams, Cool I feel a little better knowing that [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Just thought that a good 10 would make all componants just a bit more protected.
  I will check with the shop to see if a different set of springs might kick it up a few lbs. at the idle. I'm not looking to start oil leaking from the gaskets from to much pressure at the high end.  Worth a check just the same [smiley=drink.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 08:59:40 AM »

"Assuming" the gauge is accurate, my bike idles at 10-11 psi (slightly above second hash mark) at normal operating temp, even in the 90 degree days of summer.  At cruising speeds, 2500-3000 rpm, it runs between 32 and 35 psi.
Before going into the engine, I would have the pressure checked with a calibrated gauge.  Most, if not all, bike mechanics should have one.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 09:56:57 AM »

If your going to have the cam shoes checked why not just put in a Zippers Oil Pump Shim and or a Reed Valve from S&S while your in there it will allow them to make sure your oil pump is aligned correctly give your more oil flow and allow you piece of mind that your cam shoes are safe.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 09:57:18 AM »

Jerry,
Damn good thought there, that's no doubt going to be the first to be checked out.
Thanks, MYCVO [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 10:09:04 AM »

If your going to have the cam shoes checked why not just put in a Zippers Oil Pump Shim and or a Reed Valve from S&S while your in there it will allow them to make sure your oil pump is aligned correctly give your more oil flow and allow you piece of mind that your cam shoes are safe.

Unbalanced, why not indeed, more pressure is all good with me! The (REED valve) what does that do exactly? Being a plumber and not into working Harley motors, I wouldnt have thought that the pump was a componant that would need to be alinged, rather bolt on with no adjustment to it !
But peace of mind is all important. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 10:16:01 AM »

Jerry,
Your bike's pressure is what I would think would be a standard idle psi. for all at idle regardless of air temp. 10 or better. Which is what I'll be looking for.
 5-7 just plain seems to low for adequate flow, even more so when its hot summer days!! [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 10:55:08 AM »

For anyone who wants the info on the Zippers shim, follow this link:  http://www.zippersperformance.com/catalogue/showproduct.asp?cat=827&prod=2053  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 03:46:49 PM »

grc,
Thanks for the link. Hey, a cheap part that goes a long way, how about that!
 [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 05:19:24 PM »

http://www.sscycle.com/modules/instruction/uploads/51-1143.pdf

Here is the link to the reed valve and some pictures it is downloaded as a pdf file.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.