Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for West Virginia Ride suggestions  (Read 780 times)

robonel

• 2007 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic Electraglide
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic-Red/Black
Looking for West Virginia Ride suggestions
« on: March 25, 2009, 12:18:27 PM »

I am looking for the shortest route from Indianapolis to somewhere close to the Smokies in probably WV.  I have looked on mapquest and such but am not familiar with that area.  I guess I am looking for your suggestions as to a town to make home base and then be able to make a couple of daily rides back and forth through the mountains, returning to that home base.  I am trying to keep the trip from Indy and back around 350 miles or so.  Let me know if any of you have any suggestions about the area or have any good maps.  Thanks.

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
Re: Looking for West Virginia Ride suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:59:07 PM »

Look up Front Royal, Virginia. It's right at the beginning of the Skyline Drive. There's a campground a few miles west of the Skyline Drive entrance that rents some nice two person cabins. I can get more info on the campground if you need it.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 01:01:40 PM »

Morgantown West Virginia. It is in the mountains and within the 350 miles I believe.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

robonel

• 2007 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic Electraglide
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic-Red/Black
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 01:59:50 PM »

Morgantown West Virginia. It is in the mountains and within the 350 miles I believe.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Yeah, that is around 400 miles, and I did look at that one.  Is there much to do there in Morgantown?  Any suggestions?

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 02:06:18 PM »

Yeah, that is around 400 miles, and I did look at that one.  Is there much to do there in Morgantown?  Any suggestions?

Not unless you are a MtnNeers fan     :)  ..   Plenty of eats and hotels though.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 02:31:20 PM »

USR 250 through eastern OH and W. Va. is a very good route if you're looking to go two lanes. Many of my mates just hop on it and go until days end and then just turn around and come back. You say you want to be near the Smokies. If you're talking about the Park itself your a pretty good little hump in W. Va. / Va. Western N. C. will put you in closer proximity to the park and IMHO it's among the best areas for riding in the east.

Our route to the BR Parkway is typically IR 77 (W. Va. pike) which is very scenic for an interstate. Often spend the night in Fancy Gap, Va. at the intersection of the BRP and I-77. The area around Hawk's Nest State Park and the New River gorge are excellent riding.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 06:17:31 PM »

College town and lots of bars. In July they have a really good bike rally that I attend. I have a few firefighter friends that live and work there so it is a great stop for me.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 12:51:01 AM »

USR 250 through eastern OH and W. Va. is a very good route if you're looking to go two lanes. Many of my mates just hop on it and go until days end and then just turn around and come back. You say you want to be near the Smokies. If you're talking about the Park itself your a pretty good little hump in W. Va. / Va. Western N. C. will put you in closer proximity to the park and IMHO it's among the best areas for riding in the east.

Our route to the BR Parkway is typically IR 77 (W. Va. pike) which is very scenic for an interstate. Often spend the night in Fancy Gap, Va. at the intersection of the BRP and I-77. The area around Hawk's Nest State Park and the New River gorge are excellent riding.

Agree that Rt 250 is a great ride, although I haven't been on it in years.  From what I recall, take advantage of gas stations when you see them.  Also, the New River Gorge area had some great roads to experience.  The last time I was down there, I stayed in a hotel a few miles north of New River Gorge that had an indoor pool and jacuzzi, and easy on the wallet.  Great way to relax after a long day of riding.  They had good food in the adjoining parking lots and also adjoined Walmart's parking lot.  What else could you need...a jacuzzi, good food, and Walmart?  I would say that you are probably looking at more than 350 to get there from Indy though.  I happened upon a route that took us about 150 miles through nothing but gorgeous scenery, not a stop light to be found along the way, and the only real signs of life were gas stations about every 9 to 10 miles.  The final leg of that ride took us up and down Galley Mountain, just before New River Gorge, and that was an unbelievable ride.  Up and down incredible twistys with waterfalls along the sides of the road.  I want to take that ride again someday soon.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 25 queries.