Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DOT Helmets for use in Europe?  (Read 3035 times)

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
DOT Helmets for use in Europe?
« on: April 12, 2009, 04:16:39 AM »

Hi all,

I have a question that perhaps someone knows a definitive answer to.  To ride a bike while stationed in Germany requires courses, additional driving training, etc.  They also throw these mandatory 1 hour blocks of "refresher training" at us (the last one was because spring has an increase in bike accidents compared to winter - no kidding?).  The latest instruction block said we needed ECE helmets and using DOT helmets will get us a 250€ fine plus confiscation of the bike.

I had heard that active duty stationed over here have some exemptions.  For example they don't make us change out all of our lights to meet the European specifications.  I had never heard that we needed ECE helmets prior to this "training" so I am a bit skeptical.  I know for a fact the ECE helmets can't be used in the US.

Do any of you know if in fact if we require ECE helmets while stationed in Germany, or can we use DOT helmets?

Thanks,

Megavolt17
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
Re: DOT Helmets for use in Europe?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 04:39:04 AM »

Hi all,

I have a question that perhaps someone knows a definitive answer to.  To ride a bike while stationed in Germany requires courses, additional driving training, etc.  They also throw these mandatory 1 hour blocks of "refresher training" at us (the last one was because spring has an increase in bike accidents compared to winter - no kidding?).  The latest instruction block said we needed ECE helmets and using DOT helmets will get us a 250€ fine plus confiscation of the bike.

I had heard that active duty stationed over here have some exemptions.  For example they don't make us change out all of our lights to meet the European specifications.  I had never heard that we needed ECE helmets prior to this "training" so I am a bit skeptical.  I know for a fact the ECE helmets can't be used in the US.

Do any of you know if in fact if we require ECE helmets while stationed in Germany, or can we use DOT helmets?

Thanks,

Megavolt17

I cant give you a definitive answer, just my opinion.
It reads to me just like a load of military/government burocracy, DOT helmets may not be sold legally in europe but surely if there ok in America you can use them in europe, not changing your headlamp lens to the european version doesnt sound right unless there is immunity, you will have a USmilitary license number so it will be easy to distinguish u from native german riders!

mike45

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 Black & Silver
Re: DOT Helmets for use in Europe?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 06:17:59 AM »

Here's the section of AE Reg 190-1 (Driver and Vehicle Requirements and the Installation Traffic Code for the U.S. Forces in Germany) dated 4 December 2008:

5-6b. MOTORCYCLE SAFETY

(6) Motorcycle operators and passengers will wear—

(a) A helmet properly fastened under the chin. Helmets must meet the standards set by the American National Standards Institute, the Snell Memorial Foundation Standards, the Institut für
Zweiradsicherheit e.V. (Institute for Two-Wheel Safety), or the Economic Commission of Europe for bicycle helmets.

(b) Eye protection. Eye protection must meet the Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission Regulation standards or the European equivalent. Eye protection must be impact- or shatter-resistant
goggles or a full-face shield properly attached to the helmet. A windshield or eye glasses alone are not proper eye protection.

(c) Protective clothing. Clothing will include clothing required by DODI 6055.4, the Institut für Zweiradsicherheit e.V., or the European equivalent—

1. Full-fingered gloves.

2. High-visibility garments (bright-colored clothing (for example, yellow, bright green, red, orange) for day travel and reflective clothing for night travel). When wearing military uniforms,
military operators will wear a brightly colored reflective PT-style vest that is clearly visible from the front and rear of the motorcycle. Operators in military uniform may also wear brightly colored approved motorcycle riding jackets. The Army PT jacket worn with an orange or yellow reflective belt (worn diagonally across the shoulder) meets both day and night requirements.

3. Over-the-ankle footwear according to DODI 6055.4, paragraph E3.2.7.1.3. Footwear should be made of sturdy leather and have a good oil-resistant sole to reduce slipping hazards. Service
boots meet this requirement.

4. Long-sleeved shirt or jacket.

5. Full-length trousers.

By the reg, you have the option of wearing either DOT, Snell, or, ECE.  Keep in mind that this may only apply to Germany and other NATO countries.  Not all of our non-NATO neighbors recognize the Status of Forces Agreement(SOFA) which is why you need an international license to drive in Poland, for example.  Your USAREUR license in only good on Germany and other NATO nations.

Hope this helps.  The reg is located at http://www.divisions.imcom-europe.army.mil/sites/safety/docs/aer190-1.pdf

Also check out IMCOMs Army Traffic Safety Training Program (ATSTP) at http://www.imcom-europe.army.mil/sites/management/so_atstp.asp for more information.
2008 SERK
TTS Mastertune
Bub 7 True Dual w/crossover

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.