Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thunder Max verses Power Commander  (Read 2753 times)

sglide

Thunder Max verses Power Commander
« on: May 26, 2009, 02:09:26 PM »

I have a 96" FLHX stock heads.  Added S&S 510 gear cams, rods, bearings, lifters.  Run-out was 3K so could not do oil pump and cam plate.  This increased it from 76hp/86t to 90/98.  Runs good power range 3k-5100.  My question will I get enough bang for the $$ to install Thunder Max (I current have power commander) as soon as they have the fly-by ready.  Is all I am going to gain is 100% power range, or will I see more HP/Torq?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Thunder Max verses Power Commander
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 02:16:18 PM »

?

Neither tuning device makes the engine more powerful or capable.  In any range.  In any way.  The skills of the tuner using either one might get you more than does some other tuner not as skilled.  But that's the man using the parts.  Not the parts themselves.

Your question should be "Who is my best local tuner and what does he like to tune with?"  Then you just buy that (if you haven't already) and simply get out of the man's way while he works.

sglide

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 02:21:38 PM »

honest and true response, thanks.  I have a great tuner "Chris Waddell" Cycle Solutions out of IN, but he spends 10 months on the road at all the majors, tuning some 5K/yr.  He tuned my current power commander, and is working with T-Max to prefect theirs.  Guess I just thought that the self-tuner should add something beyond the "tuner guy" due to 1000 reads/sec and constant adjustment. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 02:24:16 PM »

honest and true response, thanks.  I have a great tuner "Chris Waddell" Cycle Solutions out of IN, but he spends 10 months on the road at all the majors, tuning some 5K/yr.  He tuned my current power commander, and is working with T-Max to prefect theirs.  Guess I just thought that the self-tuner should add something beyond the "tuner guy" due to 1000 reads/sec and constant adjustment. 

T-Max has been a hit and miss affair anyway.  Some have loved it.  Some have had significant and repetitive issues.  And the auto-tuning isn't quite bullet proof.  If you've got a good tune from a "great tuner" already on the bike you're done.  Sometimes the enemy of good is the search for better. :2vrolijk_21:

sglide

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 02:27:35 PM »

great saying "Sometimes the enemy of good is the search for better."  I am glad we had this conversation, I will most likely save the 1200.00 for the TY-Max...........thanks

04se103

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 02:39:56 PM »

T-Max has been a hit and miss affair anyway.  Some have loved it.  Some have had significant and repetitive issues.  And the auto-tuning isn't quite bullet proof.  If you've got a good tune from a "great tuner" already on the bike you're done.  Sometimes the enemy of good is the search for better. :2vrolijk_21:
  Sglide I also use Chris Waddell I have used him for years and he has done well on every bike he has tuned for me so far. I have been in touch with him over the past few months on Tuning my 09 Serg he's talking to me about the T MAX for it. My question for him was why go to a different device if there are no problems using the Power Commander.His responce was if you happy with the P/C thats what we will use.

sglide

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 02:46:22 PM »

Thanks again, glad to see we both have trust and respect for Chris.  See ya down the road.  I will see him next at the Thunder Beach Rally in Sept. @ Panama City.  My wife and I do several rallies during each year, that has become a favorite.  If you are going to be around that one, give a shout.....I'll buy the cold beer!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 03:04:05 PM »

Glad to see sglide on this site. I met him over the weekend and rode a few times. I asked him here to check out this site.

Johnny, you might get along better with everyone if you act like you don't know me.  ;D
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 03:21:14 PM »

Johnny, you might get along better with everyone if you act like you don't know me.  ;D

Hasn't worked for me ??? .      :huepfenlol2:

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 03:23:54 PM »

Hasn't worked for me ??? .      :huepfenlol2:

Good Point.  :2vrolijk_21: I should have posted:

Johnny, you might get along better with everyone if you act like you don't know me or TwoLaneRider.   ;D
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 08:58:13 PM »

Good Point.  :2vrolijk_21: I should have posted:

Johnny, you might get along better with everyone if you act like you don't know me or TwoLaneRider.   ;D

India has the Untouchables.  We could be the Unknowables :confused5: .

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.