Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 09 Sreaming Eagle Ultra Milage  (Read 956 times)

chanman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: O6 SE Ultra Classic (Sold)
    • CVO2: 09 SE Ultra Classic
09 Sreaming Eagle Ultra Milage
« on: April 10, 2009, 02:18:07 PM »

Does anyone have an 09 with 20k on it yet and no problems with the engine? I had an 06 SE Ultra and no absolutley no problems with it. Ran like a top. I was unaware of any kind of problem with the 110 until after I purchased one. We went to Vegas a while bike and the engine clattered like it was going to come apart when we got hung in traffic as soon as we started moving again it quieted down, turning onto Vegas blvd, we got hung in traffic again and the same thing happened It was so loud I thought it was coming apart. It ran great while we were cruising down the freeway, it was only when we got in stop and go that I had a problem,but that never happened with the 103 engine,never.When we got home I took it to the dealer and of course they could find nothing wrong, and didnt have a suggestion on what may have caused it, of course they had never heard of any problems with the 110, that simply amazed me. I havent ridden it much since then, I only have 5200 on it and we usually ride about 18-20k a year. We are planning a trip to the Smokys next month and I am looking forward to that, but a guy shouldnt have to be thinking when is my bike engine going to have a problem.
My buddys 09 SERG just had a problem riding over to Vegas. He had to leave the bike in Vegas at Red Rock apparently, a cam bearing failed, Harley is replacing the bearings, the cam, lifters, rod and the oil pump,under warranty The bike only had 9k on it. I have taken you guys advice and am changing out the pipes and adding an air cleaner and power commander and a dyno tune to get it breathing better and hopefully reduce some of the heat. If I was to have a problem similar to hwat ny friend experienced, would Harley be able to deny warranty serice because of the alterations I will have performed?
 How many miles do some of you have on your 09 bikes at this time? and what if any problems with the engine have you experienced?
California is weird about emissions but I have decided I dont care if trying to comply is going to continually have me worried about when is the engine going to have problems.
Thanks
Chanman
I almost wish I would have kept the 06.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
Re: 09 Sreaming Eagle Ultra Milage
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 10:55:53 PM »

once you modify it the warranty is pretty much gone.... the dealer might warranty it but hd will not.

in california some dealers wont even work on a modified bike for green cash... sad really.

when the bike gets real hot in traffic the rear cylinder is supposed to shut down to cool the engine off - if you move the throttle when that happens it starts up the rear cylinder and makes it heat real real bad due to the assumption that you moved the throttle to start moving the bike.

IF the heat management is turned off, learn how to turn it on - then if its hot stuck in traffic dont move the throttle at all, just let it idle - when the rear cylinder shuts down the front one goes to 12 : 1 mixture to cool it off as well - once you move the throttle it goes back to 14.7 - 1 and gets hot.

when you install the pcv if its the california version it does not change ANYTHING in the idle to 4500 rpm range. if its the non california version WITHOUT AUTO TUNE it disables the o2 sensors entirely and also disables altitude compensation so when you go up in the mountains it will smoke and puke.

the 103's are bullet proof - all the police bikes and hd trikes are 103's 110's require some care and feeding to keep them from overheating.

if you are just after cooler save all the cash for pipes and air cleaner and all and install the ixed's that lower the mixture and make it use more gas.. that will cool it down a lot for less than a hundred bux.

if you are doing pipes - just swap the 110 headers for non california 96" headers and then recore the stock mufflers - the dyno runs on this site show pretty good numbers for very little cash and low chance a dealer will figure it out and void your warranty. [all the parts look stone stock - but flow way better than 110 stock parts - very low risk of getting in hot water - you can honestly claim the header got scratched so you just bought a used one and put it on]

good luck to you, anytime you want to change the engine but keep the warranty you are taking a BIG risk..   :-\

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:34:02 AM »

To clarify what timo482 said, the noise you are hearing is when the rear cylinder is shutting down.  It happened to me when I got stuck in traffic in my first few hundred miles and I was in a panic.  It sounded like the inside of the engine all just came loose and I thought the engine was ready to fall apart on me at any second.  You can read about the heat management system in your owner's manual, but if you twist your throttle forward and hold it there, an indicator light will show up on your tachometer.  Green is on and red or orange is off.  I leave mine on so it can do it's thing when it needs to in traffic.  I haven't noticed it at all since I had my pipes installed and had it dynotuned.  I assume it's running much cooler now.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 01:08:39 PM »

You may want to check with Steve Cole on the TTS, I was told that it now alternates cylinders for cooling vs. just the rear cylinder when the heat management system goes into effect.

Your bike is VERY LEAN from the factory and putting pipes/AC/Tuner on it will cool it down tremendously.   I would suggest this especially with the cruising you do.   When you ride as much as you do, it is inevitable that you will get stuck in traffic and have the bike heat up.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 09:24:01 PM »

From the TTS Help Files:

EITMS is a two-stage process:

Fuel Enrichment at temperatures above 288 °F

Skip Fire at temperatures above 311 °F

EITMS mode will activate when ALL of the following occur:

EITMS option is ENABLED

The vehicle is at IDLE

The vehicle is STOPPED

The temperature is above 288 °F

Harry is correct as Steve has stated elsewhere the TTS Software in fact alternates the cylinders (Skip Fire) vs. the factory only shutting down the rear cylinder.

:2vrolijk_21:

'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:43:28 PM »

More from "Doc" who thoroughly understands the TTS Software:

The TTS EITMS is set different than the Harley system. Here's what happens; when the bike reaches 288 degrees the AFR starts to richen up to around 13.5, as the temp rises the AFR will continue to get richer to cool the motor until the AFR reaches 12.5. When the temps get to 311 degrees the ignition starts to skip an ignition cycle from front to rear cooling the bike down by moving air through the combustion chamber......this whole chain of events only takes place when the Bike is stationary or at idle, when the bike reaches 1250 rpms or 2 mph the EITMS kicks out.
Doc

:2vrolijk_09:
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.