Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bike is too loud  (Read 912 times)

Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • One Day At A Time
Bike is too loud
« on: April 27, 2009, 09:43:06 AM »

I have an 08 se ultra, put the se performance muffler's on when I bought it new and it sounded great. Took it in for the recall on the heads, replaced cam's and had some extra head work done and had Vance & Hines true Dual pipes put on. Got bike back and was louder than I like and talked with dealer and was told it was because of cam's not brcause of pipes. I pulled the baffles out of the SE pipes and they are not servicable as far as adding additional baffle material. any suggestions would be appreciated, or what muffler's I would match to the bike for a moderate sound.

Jim
SE A/f
SE Mufflers
SE Race Tuner

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Bike is too loud
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:25:17 AM »

Put your 4" stock CVO mufflers back on and it will sound fine with the TD head pipes and cams. 

JP

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEFB Sold
    • CVO2: 09 SERG o/b
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 12:18:56 PM »

Put your 4" stock CVO mufflers back on and it will sound fine with the TD head pipes and cams. 

And change the baffles to fullsac 2 in.

Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • One Day At A Time
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 04:28:49 PM »

Put the stock muffler back on and it doesnt sound to bad but I noticed that the cat convertor is in the muffler. I think it would be a good idea to remove as it really restricts the exhaust. I see in other post that the 09 has cat in the header pipe. Has anyone removed cat from 08 in the muffler?

Jim
SE A/f
SE Mufflers
SE Race Tuner

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 05:11:24 PM »

Put the stock muffler back on and it doesnt sound to bad but I noticed that the cat convertor is in the muffler. I think it would be a good idea to remove as it really restricts the exhaust. I see in other post that the 09 has cat in the header pipe. Has anyone removed cat from 08 in the muffler?

Jim

The 08 Ultra has an exhaust that seems quieter because the pipes are tied together.  When you take the 08 touring stye exhaust and put on true duals you lose the effect of the left pipe allowing the exhaust pulse to be deeper and "quieter" tone.  You begin to get a louder raspier type of sound - and you also lose bottom end power.  You would probably have made better low end power with the OE exhaust and slip ons.  Also always grind out the portion of the rear pipe that blocks about 1/3 of the exhaust flow where it comes down and is welded into the pipe from the front (where the pipes are clamped together by the tranny)
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 07:11:42 PM »

Jim

Same way you remove the 09 baffles, Jim Kerr has a post on it here. Have done a few of them with putting in the Full Sacs.  Doc

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.