Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Russell Speed bleeders  (Read 4946 times)

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
Russell Speed bleeders
« on: March 05, 2010, 03:44:23 PM »

Anyone try speed bleeders for their brakes?  I had the dealer replace the stock bleeders the last brake job with Russell bleeders. The tech said he has seen issues with the brake pedal not keeping pressure.  Before a ride I need to pump the pedal, otherwise the pedal goes all the way to the floor.

Ride safe!
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Re: Russell Speed bleeders
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:50:12 PM »

FWIW: Just one experience like that and I would be going back to the stock system which for me works very well.

I don't like to mess with brakes and tires. It's too dangerous.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 04:44:04 PM »

Anyone try speed bleeders for their brakes?  I had the dealer replace the stock bleeders the last brake job with Russell bleeders. The tech said he has seen issues with the brake pedal not keeping pressure.  Before a ride I need to pump the pedal, otherwise the pedal goes all the way to the floor.Ride safe!

My question is, why are you still riding the bike like that instead of getting it fixed ASAP?  Brakes are nothing to be screwin' around with, and a "pedal goes all the way to the floor" situation is not good for several reasons.

As for the Russell Speed Bleeder's, I considered changing to them a couple years back to make fluid changes easier.  Further thought convinced me to leave well enough alone, and your experience tends to reinforce that decision.  In theory they should work, but if they were half as good as claimed I don't understand why I keep seeing piles of them in the sale bins at various dealerships.  Stick to the stock type bleeder screws, and if you need help bleeding your brakes buy one of the one-man pressure or suction devices.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 08:14:56 PM »

I wouldn't put them on my HD, but I did just buy a set foy my DL1000. Most of the guys I know with dual sport and mild sport bikes have them and I haven't heard of any problems. If there isn't brake fluid all over the rear of your bike I would suspect the dealer didn't fully blead out all the air in the system. Take the bike back to the dealer asap.

fatboy se

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »

I see and here of this over and over again, Let me share what I've learned through experience, simply find an old pump oil can,fill it with brake fluid on bikes dot 5  , slip a piece of vacuum hose over the stem,crack open the bleeder valve,and pump away, while watching the level in the reservoir and it will not need to be bleed. Works especially well on hydraulic clutches.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 09:09:32 AM »

Weather hasn't been good enough to ride since I got the bike back from the dealer. Brakes were fine after picking the bike up on the ride home.  The tech at the dealer said he bleed the rear a couple of times after not fully pumping up and has seen spongy pedals/levers on bikes using speed bleeders.

I understand that on some HD bikes there are issues with spongy pedals/levers. See a my old post although they ended up rebuilding the master cylinder, http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=6352.0 As I understand it the properties of DOT 5(silicon) creates air bubbles. I usually keep a Velcro strap on my lightly depressed brake levers to keep the brakes levers firm.

I'll give fatboy se suggestion a try otherwise I'll remove the speed bleeder and go back to the stock.

I did do a search on changing to speed bleeders and didnt see anything negative so I thought I would try.  For anyone thinking of trying speed bleeders on Harey' forget about it.

Thanks and ride safe!
2015 FLTRUSE

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 06:35:15 PM »

This sounds crazy!  When speed bleeders are closed, the valve is out of the circuit and the bleeder is just a bleeder!  The issue occurs when the bleeder is cracked open in order to bleed the system, air can enter in around the threads during the return stroke.  Either check that the thread lock material around the bleeded is intact, or put some grease around the outside of the bleeder during bleeding.  I have used speedbleeders (the real ones, not the russell version) for years and never had a problem.  To put it simply, YOU STILL HAVE AIR IN YOUR LINES!

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 03:45:31 PM »

As I stated before and agreeing with mattm, you still have air in your lines. However I don't think the air is entering through the bleeder threads unless there is oil on you calipers as there is alot more internal pressure when applying the brake lever/peddle than reverse pressure when releasing them. I just installed mine last night (to the the original speed bleeders, not Russel's) on the DL100 and wow, they are pretty cool and work great!
If they hold up well, they are going on all my vehicels. Beats the heck out of pumping the peddle on my trucks and holding it down with a stick while opening and closing the bleeder over and over again. Also, as Mattm stated, when fully tightend, they act as standard bleeders and can't leak through the check valve.
Side note: when installing them in conjunction with new brake lines, use the stock bleeders until pressure is built, then change to the speed bleeders. There is not enough pressure with too much air in the lines to release the check valve. (Don't ask me how I found this out)

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 04:35:17 PM »

who needs brakes :huepfenjump3:
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 07:33:34 PM »

As I stated before and agreeing with mattm, you still have air in your lines. However I don't think the air is entering through the bleeder threads unless there is oil on you calipers as there is alot more internal pressure when applying the brake lever/peddle than reverse pressure when releasing them. I just installed mine last night (to the the original speed bleeders, not Russel's) on the DL100 and wow, they are pretty cool and work great!
If they hold up well, they are going on all my vehicels. Beats the heck out of pumping the peddle on my trucks and holding it down with a stick while opening and closing the bleeder over and over again. Also, as Mattm stated, when fully tightend, they act as standard bleeders and can't leak through the check valve.
Side note: when installing them in conjunction with new brake lines, use the stock bleeders until pressure is built, then change to the speed bleeders. There is not enough pressure with too much air in the lines to release the check valve. (Don't ask me how I found this out)
Good info, I had the same issue with the front brake that wasn't fixed until they rebuilt the master cylinder,

I decided to replace the master cylinder due to the cost of the rebuild kit.

Let you all know the results.

Ride safe!
2015 FLTRUSE

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 11:24:13 AM »

Russel bleeders are just that...a bleeder with a check valve. You manually bleed your brakes... once you tighten the bleeder it no longer functions. I have been using them for years on my drag car and they are a time saver. The check valve is a great idea that prevents air from being drawn back into the system after each repeated pump.  :drink:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 07:19:11 PM »

Good info, I had the same issue with the front brake that wasn't fixed until they rebuilt the master cylinder,

I decided to replace the master cylinder due to the cost of the rebuild kit.

Let you all know the results.

Ride safe!

Replaced master cylinder bleed brakes, plenty of pressure now and bleeders work like a champ!

Noticed that HD DOT 5 is purple, fluid the dealer used wasn't.

Ride safe!
2015 FLTRUSE

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.