Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Motorcycle Touring and fatigue  (Read 1897 times)

crazybastid83

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Motorcycle Touring and fatigue
« on: November 03, 2005, 05:16:45 PM »

here is a link to a great article
http://members.cox.net/bmw-ldrider/Fatigue.pdf

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
Re: Motorcycle Touring and fatigue
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 05:52:39 PM »

Great article, thanks! I always thought that using earplugs helped for more than just wind noise and exhaust music, not to forget filtering out the buzzing sounds of 10,000 RPM rice rangers. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 10:33:09 PM »

I am sure most of us are aware of this but riding without ear plugs can cause or increase high pitched hearing loss. I have had to wear a hearing aid for a few years due to job conditions etc. I did not wear ear plugs when riding and usually wore a half shell. My hearing Dr. asked about that and I told him that I wouldn't be able to hear the stereo if I wore ear plugs. He said that I wouldn't be hearing much of anything if I didn't start. Long story short, I wear ear plugs now, even on short trips.

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member
  • Stopped Living Vicariously

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 02:35:33 PM »

I was told that if I didn't protect my hearing while riding I would surely to lose it all.  I went the ear doc because of constant ringing in my ears - docs call this tinnitis.  Although this would happen for short periods after a long ride or a loud concert, it would typically stop after a good nights rest.  It was after a 7 hour trip from CA to AZ that I noticed that the ringing didn't stop...and my ears still ring today 10 years later.  Doc says it is permanate...  So after losing 20%+ of my hearing, I won't ride without hearing protection.  But ya know, I like riding better with the plugs...  The wind noise is far less and the sterio actually sounds better.  Go figure!!  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 02:37:45 PM by hwyfever »
HD Hyd Cam Plate Conversion, Zippers Red Shift 575, SE Adjustable Push Rods
SE Race Tuner, Zippers Highflow Air Cleaner, S&S True Duals, Bub Stealth 7,
Progressive Monotube Cartridge Forks, Progressive 940 shocks

What I fear most when I die is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 03:37:54 PM »

Fever, Tony, I hear ya (so to speak).  Couple of years ago I started riding with a 3/4 helmet because it had gotten to the point that after a long day in the saddle the ringing in my hears was so loud I couldn't hear.  After a really long day it'd be loud enough to keep me from sleeping.  So now I ride with an Arai Classic/M.  It's vents work surprisingly well so it really doesn't get too hot inside the lid.  After having been inside that lid for a couple of years now on the rare occasion I pop the half helmet back on all the wind noise is "too loud" for comfort.  Odd how we adjust.  And I do the earplug thing too.  Not all the time though.  If it's a one gas stop day I don't mess with it (yet).  But if I'm out for the day I pop them in.  Really don't notice any difference in listening to the stereo either.

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 06:34:39 PM »

I almost always use ear plugs when riding. I prefer hearos. I think my stereo actually sounds better with the ear plugs in!
MObe

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 10:15:02 PM »

I was told that if I didn't protect my hearing while riding I would surely to lose it all.  I went the ear doc because of constant ringing in my ears - docs call this tinnitis.  Although this would happen for short periods after a long ride or a loud concert, it would typically stop after a good nights rest.  It was after a 7 hour trip from CA to AZ that I noticed that the ringing didn't stop...and my ears still ring today 10 years later.  Doc says it is permanate...  So after losing 20%+ of my hearing, I won't ride without hearing protection.  But ya know, I like riding better with the plugs...  The wind noise is far less and the sterio actually sounds better.  Go figure!!  
First welcome to the site! This is a great info resource..and a lot of fun..
I have tinnitus also..constant ringing for 10 yrs or so...sigh...

JimsSEEG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 07:52:32 PM »

There is also some good information on the Iron Butt site regarding long distance touring/riding. Several years ago (Milwaukee 2003 Party) several buddies went thru the Iron Buttt site as if we were training for an Iron BUtt ride, Made a huge difference on the trip. We were able to safely cover 5400 miles in 11 days.

Jim
Jim

"Ophelia"

"pull that thing in here - it's not running good enough to scatter sh*& with a hay rake...."   E.K.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 25 queries.