Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Eagle Horn Cover  (Read 5280 times)

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 / SERK
Re: Eagle Horn Cover
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 08:30:13 PM »

Ok guys... need a little help here... I bought one of the Eagle Horn Covers as discussed above.  I chose the one without the LED (although I don't think that's relevant) and I have an '08 SERK.  I tried to install it tonight and I can't make it "fit".  The Eagle cover is nowhere near as deep as my stock cowbell cover so I can't get it mounted due to the depth of the horn itself.  No matter which way I turn the bracket or the horn I can't mount the cover without the horn either torqued at an angle or up against the motor.

Obviously this works somehow...  :nixweiss:

The instructions are straightforward... What am I missing...?  :confused5:

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 08:38:18 PM »

Nevermind...

I never noticed the "Will fit most earlier models with the purchase of a new (smaller) horn from H-D, part number 69060-90D" line on Chrome Dome's web site until just now...

>:(

Ahhh... what's a few more bucks... :2vrolijk_21:

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 08:47:21 PM »

Ok, so now I can't find part number 69060-90D...  >:(

If someone who has installed this could please let me know what horn they installed and where they got it I would surely appreciate it... :huepfenlol2:

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member
  • formerly known as "UpChuck82"

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 10:02:08 PM »

Ok guys... need a little help here... I bought one of the Eagle Horn Covers as discussed above.  I chose the one without the LED (although I don't think that's relevant) and I have an '08 SERK.  I tried to install it tonight and I can't make it "fit".  The Eagle cover is nowhere near as deep as my stock cowbell cover so I can't get it mounted due to the depth of the horn itself.  No matter which way I turn the bracket or the horn I can't mount the cover without the horn either torqued at an angle or up against the motor.

Obviously this works somehow...  :nixweiss:

The instructions are straightforward... What am I missing...?  :confused5:

My bike is the '09 SEUC.  Chrome Dome's site said it should fit '92 and up horns.  :nixweiss:  I do not personally know when they changed horns, but unless they changed it for '09s it should fit.  :nixweiss: 

Having said that, the fit was kind of trial and error to have it line up right.  I looked at it on the workbench to see where it best fit behind the cover.  You do not want the horn touching the cover, because it needs to vibrate freely for best sound.  I moved the horn and cover around and around and ended up with about an 1/8" clearance from the horn to the cover.  I may have used a rubber washer between the cover and horn to get a little better clearance. 

I cannot remember if I played with slightly bending the mounting bracket on the bike to make room for it all.  Mine ended up way closer to the engine than the stock one.  Again, I played with how it was angled between the heads/cylinders and tried to center it so it had even clearance from both heads.  The horn wiring plugs sticking out the back end up fairly close to the engine, which I feared may melt when it gets hot.  I haven't noticed any melting yet.

I was discouraged at first, like you, but once I got it the best I could I tightened 'er down and went with it.  Just make sure you keep the clearance between the horn and the cover best you can until tight.

Good luck!
Eagle Soars
2009 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
Arlen Ness Big Sucker (Chrome Backplate) w/ KN Filter
SERT
SE Slip-Ons

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 11:19:36 PM »

Thanks Eagle... I did finally figure it out... or should I say I "made it work"...   :o

I ended up having to to tweak the bracket bit to get the clearance needed all the way around.  If I'm lucky I might be able to slide 3 pieces of paper between the horn and the motor at its widest spot... :'(

I did notice tonight while sitting idle that with motor vibration it chatters a little bit so it's apparently hitting the motor while it's running... I'll have to adjust it a little bit more but it should be fine...

Also, just to follow up on the question... 69060-90D now subs to 69060-90E and it turns out that it's the same (danged) part that was already installed on the bike from the factory...!!   So I did end up using the stock horn...

Thanks all...
Ride on...

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member
  • formerly known as "UpChuck82"

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 11:36:56 PM »

Just back from the garage and I have approx. 5/16" clearance to the motor on all of the parts of the horn and wire plugs.  It does shake like heck when running, but does not hit the motor.  Hope this helps.

Ride Safe!
Eagle Soars...
2009 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
Arlen Ness Big Sucker (Chrome Backplate) w/ KN Filter
SERT
SE Slip-Ons
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 25 queries.