Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MoCo replacing my ECM & Race Tuner in my 2008 SERK  (Read 1785 times)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
MoCo replacing my ECM & Race Tuner in my 2008 SERK
« on: May 23, 2009, 10:45:54 PM »

I posted about this problem in my thread on my T-Man build. I thought I'd give a few details here in the hopes that more site members would see this for future reference.

I am a layman to the tuner world so I will give you what I can in broad terms. When the guys at my shop were trying to tune in my scooter using the SERT, the program was not reacting properly. When attempting to adjust the AFR, the timing would fluctuate wildly. The bike was giving codes to shut down the motor due to a throttle body sensor problem and would immediately cancel the code. At times the bike would idle at 900 rpm but would occasionally idle at 1250 rpm or not idle at all.

After 5 hours, the tech gave up, came out of the room frustrated and asked if I could leave the bike so he could talk with the Mo Co tech people over the next couple of days with bike in hand. After 2 more attempts to get the tune right, they felt I should ride her and see where we're at as Tech was not giving much advice.

I noticed my speedo was not functioning correctly. The odometer function for miles remaining would show I could go 103 miles on 1 gallon of gas. Then the turn signals occasionally not self cancel. Finally the security system would go off with the key fob sitting on the bike.

See   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=34789.msg585896#msg585896 for other details

The Mo Co is replacing the ECM Tuesday. They are also supplying a SEST to replace the SERT. They feel the SERT is not as compatible with the wireless throttle system as the Super Tuner. FYI

JW

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
Re: MoCo replacing my ECM & Race Tuner in my 2008 SERK
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:49:31 AM »

hmmm. sounds a little strange. the SERT not compatible with the TBW., sounds more like the TECH not compatible with motorcycles. the mastertune works great with it. ah, just a thought. shouldn't they have been using the SuperSERT anyway?
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:08:58 AM »

hmmm. sounds a little strange. the SERT not compatible with the TBW., sounds more like the TECH not compatible with motorcycles. the mastertune works great with it. ah, just a thought. shouldn't they have been using the SuperSERT anyway?

Hi LarryB

I've talked with Steve Cole several times about the SERT. He says it will do everything it is designed to do with the wireless throttle system. Many others have told me the older SERT will not but the TTS will. I know that a updated download has been but in the bike twice due to the wireless throttle body. Wonder why those two cables had to go?  :nixweiss:

The Super Tuners were not available when I got my bike. The system had been announced but you could not get one. Seems the Mo Co does that a lot when they release a new product. Put it in the catalog but it's not available for awhile.

JW

Herko

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:15:54 AM »

Do you know what SERT tuning base Cal your tuner was using?

Per TT366 March 2008 the following Cals (for the old SERT) were deemed problematic:
200TW001·A 1
200TX001·A 1
200TY001·A 1
200TZ001·A 1

In the pre TTS Mastertune days, SERT Cal 200TL was used here even on bigger builds without problems other than being limited on what could be adjusted.

+1 from above, if your dealer will get you a TTS Mastertune vs the SEST you (and your bike) will be glad you did.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:24:56 AM by Herko »

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 12:17:33 PM »

Do you know what SERT tuning base Cal your tuner was using?

Per TT366 March 2008 the following Cals (for the old SERT) were deemed problematic:
200TW001·A 1
200TX001·A 1
200TY001·A 1
200TZ001·A 1

In the pre TTS Mastertune days, SERT Cal 200TL was used here even on bigger builds without problems other than being limited on what could be adjusted.

+1 from above, if your dealer will get you a TTS Mastertune vs the SEST you (and your bike) will be glad you did.

Herko

Thanks for the input

I'm not even going to pretend I know what any of this means but the base map was 200UI001. The bike was originally tuned May 8, 2008 for the 117 build. The dealer is getting the SEST from the Mo Co at no charge. I'd have to fork up the cash for the TTS. What makes the TTS superior?

If been told the SEST will work better with the new throttle system. The guys at my shop have used the SERT, TTS and SEST. They say they can make all of them work. I've talked with Steve Cole on this matter several times. So has my shop guys. So far, no real changes have been seen but with a bad ECM what would you expect!

JW

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 03:31:33 PM »

Herko

Thanks for the input

I'm not even going to pretend I know what any of this means but the base map was 200UI001. The bike was originally tuned May 8, 2008 for the 117 build. The dealer is getting the SEST from the Mo Co at no charge. I'd have to fork up the cash for the TTS. What makes the TTS superior?

If been told the SEST will work better with the new throttle system. The guys at my shop have used the SERT, TTS and SEST. They say they can make all of them work. I've talked with Steve Cole on this matter several times. So has my shop guys. So far, no real changes have been seen but with a bad ECM what would you expect!

JW

Hey JW,

I'm using SERT with recent updates in my 2008 Ultra with a Jim's 131, High Flow throttle body and high flow injectors. I'm not having any issues at all. I used TTS prior to changing back to SERT and can honestly say 'there is no big difference between the two tinning packages. If you have SERT stay with it, your gains with TTS will be so minimal you will wish you spent the money sowhere where else. JMHO....  :2vrolijk_21:

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 04:11:17 PM »

Hey JW,

I'm using SERT with recent updates in my 2008 Ultra with a Jim's 131, High Flow throttle body and high flow injectors. I'm not having any issues at all. I used TTS prior to changing back to SERT and can honestly say 'there is no big difference between the two tinning packages. If you have SERT stay with it, your gains with TTS will be so minimal you will wish you spent the money sowhere where else. JMHO....  :2vrolijk_21:

SportyG

The plan is to replace the SERT with a SE Super Tuner. The guys at my shop do not feel this is a step backwards but also say it is not a great step forward other than it works with the 58mm throttle body. Since it is not cost me any money, I do not have a problem with this unless someone can give me evidence the SEST is not a good system.

I spoke with John Golden at Rolling Thunder. He recommends I try the SEST. If that still doesn't work he'll tune it with a Power Commander. Those I've spoken to that have had Golden do a tune have nothing but praise for him.

Why did you change back to the SERT? Problem with the TTS?

JW

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 10:32:47 PM »

SportyG

The plan is to replace the SERT with a SE Super Tuner. The guys at my shop do not feel this is a step backwards but also say it is not a great step forward other than it works with the 58mm throttle body. Since it is not cost me any money, I do not have a problem with this unless someone can give me evidence the SEST is not a good system.

I spoke with John Golden at Rolling Thunder. He recommends I try the SEST. If that still doesn't work he'll tune it with a Power Commander. Those I've spoken to that have had Golden do a tune have nothing but praise for him.

JW

JW

I have no experience with SEST so I'll stay low discussing it. I actually went back to my SERT because i recently had a dyno tune performed and the tuner actually preferred the SERT. He had the choice of using either systems as i had both dongles with me and both systems installed on the ignition. Besides that Steve Cole, IMO, is ,,, well I'll hold short from going any further on expressing my opinion on this jerk.   ::)

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 08:28:16 AM »

SportyG

JW

Being the "non-technical" rider that I am, I rely on others to help me out on things, such as tuners for my bikes.
I have found that the TTS is way more advanced than I am! Thus, it helps to get someone  to take the time to explain and help with set up (thanks again, Doc).
I would probably be just has happy with an add-on box that would "fool" my ECM to gain the results I am looking for, BUT, I am looking for the flexibility to upgrade in the future, and not too comfortable with "canned maps" or "add on devices".
This is, of course,is MHO, and whatever works for others, and what they are comfortable with, go for it!
Some of my friends are using everything from IED's to Master tune, SERT, etc, etc. all seem pretty happy with the way their bikes run, and I don't push any changes, I just tell them what I have, and how I like MY set up.
Some of my friends have already changed mufflers, tuners, and made other changes to suit THEM. Now, they are making OTHER changes because they don't like the setup they have. Waste of $$$$ the way I see it.
Nice to have a forum here to see what works well for most of us. We can see who's happy with what. This includes customer support as well as quality of product.
Disclaimer: I do not work for anyone, nor do I gain anything from commenting on what I use and what I like.
Hell, I'm retired and just touring the country!!!!
I enjoy meeting and talking to other riders and do a little "bench racing"!
Mike
HOGMIKE

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 12:15:22 PM »

JW

I have no experience with SEST so I'll stay low discussing it. I actually went back to my SERT because i recently had a dyno tune performed and the tuner actually preferred the SERT. He had the choice of using either systems as i had both dongles with me and both systems installed on the ignition. Besides that Steve Cole, IMO, is ,,, well I'll hold short from going any further on expressing my opinion on this jerk.   ::)

I talked with Steve Cole on the SERT as it is my understanding he's the maker of it as well as the TTS Mastertune. He answered my questions but the results on my tune with the SERT were never that great. Again, this could all be because of the ECM.

My tuner is comfortable with the SERT, TTS or the SEST. Since the SEST is the newest version and free, I'll give it a go.

JW

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 12:18:38 PM »

Being the "non-technical" rider that I am, I rely on others to help me out on things, such as tuners for my bikes.
I have found that the TTS is way more advanced than I am! Thus, it helps to get someone  to take the time to explain and help with set up (thanks again, Doc).
I would probably be just has happy with an add-on box that would "fool" my ECM to gain the results I am looking for, BUT, I am looking for the flexibility to upgrade in the future, and not too comfortable with "canned maps" or "add on devices".
This is, of course,is MHO, and whatever works for others, and what they are comfortable with, go for it!
Some of my friends are using everything from IED's to Master tune, SERT, etc, etc. all seem pretty happy with the way their bikes run, and I don't push any changes, I just tell them what I have, and how I like MY set up.
Some of my friends have already changed mufflers, tuners, and made other changes to suit THEM. Now, they are making OTHER changes because they don't like the setup they have. Waste of $$$$ the way I see it.
Nice to have a forum here to see what works well for most of us. We can see who's happy with what. This includes customer support as well as quality of product.
Disclaimer: I do not work for anyone, nor do I gain anything from commenting on what I use and what I like.
Hell, I'm retired and just touring the country!!!!
I enjoy meeting and talking to other riders and do a little "bench racing"!
Mike

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm a rider and not much of a wrench. I'm following the advice of my tuner on this one. He's the one working with the system so whatever he's most comfortable with works for me.

JW

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 06:35:06 PM »

Shop called. Bikes done. I'll pick it up tomorrow. It was all covered under the warranty.

JW

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 06:37:20 PM »

Shop called. Bikes done. I'll pick it up tomorrow. It was all covered under the warranty.

JW
But did you get a new King Tourpak yet :bananarock:

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »

But did you get a new King Tourpak yet :bananarock:

OUCH!  Below the belt LB!  :o

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 06:48:54 PM »

hey, just trying to help a brother out :coolblue:

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.