Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Questions on diminished value on Wrecked 09 SEUC  (Read 3671 times)

RYANCVO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 O/B SE ROADGLIDE
Re: Questions on diminished value on Wrecked 09 SEUC
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 03:20:23 PM »

alright, i am an adjuster in your area. texas license. there is no dv on 1st party claims in texas. so if its the other persons insurance, they DO owe you dv. usally dv is the difference between what the bike could have sold for b4 the accident minus what it would sell for after repairs are made. they owe you the difference. you would be supprised what that comes to sometimes. $9000 in repairs will be a difference. usally we get this figure by contacting several dealers and getting quotes on what they would sell that bike for b4 and after wreck. tecnicly they do owe you a rental, but on bikes this is sometimes hard to get. as for the shop your bike is sitting in. be careful. i know of a lot of bikes that have sat there for a long time and had to go back several times b4 they got it right. everyone that i know has had problems with them from service, sales and parts. just fyi. if you have any other questions just ask.

Jus Cruisin

• SERG Rider
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 04:32:18 AM »

Sort of late on this. First, I have never heard of a motorcycle "carfax" and I have been around bike shops for a while and no one has ever even talked about one. Not to say it doesn't exist but motorcycle shops are not connected the way auto dealers are. Now, if you replace the damaged parts with new, there should not be any "diminished value" in my mind. It would be no different than if the bike came into the dealer with crate (shipping) damage, the dealer would just replace the damaged parts and on the floor it goes. No retail discount because of the crate damage. There are no disclosure forms that a seller has to sign that indicates a bike was involved in a wreck. So in my mind, the only thing the OP loses is some riding time.
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange, Fullsac and SERT

Other stuff in my garage: All American
2010 F150 Platinum 4X2
2008 Roush Mustang 428R, only 435hp
2008 Corvette convertible, 436hp

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 01:58:31 PM »

Jus Cruisin,

Go to Carfax.com and try entering your motorcycles VIN. I did, and they recognized the VIN and offered a report. I also tried to change one number to trip them up, and it would not accept the number, so it seems they've got it nailed down.

For that to occur, someone obviously must have supplied info to them. Seeing I've never had a warranty claim, I suspect it was either Harley themselves, the selling dealer, the DMV, the insurance company, or all of the above.  I've also heard of some folks with boats mention listings, so while your thoughts of there not being a motorcycle version of Carfax is technically correct, the fact seems to be Carfax itself handles anything with a VIN number, provided they have a record. I honestly do not know how they get the info, but it's obvious they've got accurate sources or they'd be getting their butts sued.

That said, I know there are are laws regarding automobiles requiring the disclosure of damage over a certain amount to new vehicles. I have every reason to believe such a requirement would logically pertain to motorcycles as well. It might be a just an Illinois law, but I got a sweet additional discount on a car I special ordered which got the front fender replaced due to a shipping incident. In order to accept the deal, and take delivery, I had to sign a legal release of some sort. If the dealer was able to do a simple under the carpet switcharoo, they would have had every incentive to do just that.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 02:57:05 PM »

I tried Carfax with my VIN and it did not recognize the VIN.  After checking around, I found this company that does the same thing for motorcycles.  http://www.cyclechex.com/index.php  Anybody's guess if they are on the up and up and whether anyone really uses them.  As far as the mainstream goes, I don't think dealers or anyone else checks these before trade-ins or sales of bikes.  If the bike has a salvage title, then you know it's been a total loss at some point.  Otherwise, I think it's pretty much a buyer beware market when it comes to used bikes.  I'll make the grand assumption that most people will take a test ride before buying a used bike.  If it rides okay, the brakes work, all the electronics work, and you are satisfied with the cosmetics of the bike, then you have enough information to make a purchase decision, whether it was wrecked before or not.  The only thingsleft are engine and transmission, and you are probably always taking some sort of a chance in purchasing a used bike in these regards, but if you have an impending breakdown, it's probably got nothing to do with any prior accidents anyway.  If the take the bike for a ride and it feels like the forks are bent, then they probably are and you should pass on that bike, etc...  Maybe I've oversimplified this a bit, but for the most part, I think what I'm saying is that you just don't know what you are getting with a used bike, so at least take it for a test ride and make sure that everything is functioning and that it rides straight down the road.

I hate to say it this way, but if your bike has been wrecked and you have it all repaired properly, the next person probably won't know that unless you tell them...or if they are smart enough to go ask the shop that you normally take your bike to if they are aware of any accidents.  My friend, that had his bike wrecked recently, took his bike to a different dealer for repairs, since he didn't want his dealer to know his bike was wrecked.  I appreciated the concept, even though it didn't really work out, since his dealer found out anyway.  If he ever decides to trade the bike in at that dealer, I have to wonder if they will through that in his face at the time of trade-in valuation...the fact that his bike was wrecked.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 04:18:42 PM »

I have to chime in again....

My bike got hit as I stated before $4500.00 in damages, my dealership did the work, my dealership also took it in on trade.

Now you can look this up and see if they were fair with me.

2006 SEUC, (of course as any of us are concerned) EXCELLENT CONDITION. 50,000 miles on it.
They gave me $23,000.00..... then MSRP for the New one just in case you are thinking they tacked any on to the new one.

The dealership was more then happy to take my bike on a trade for two reasons in particular.

1. They did all the work on the Bike to include servicing.
2. They know how I am......freaking ANAL.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 25 queries.