Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gel pad inserts  (Read 2017 times)

baddog652

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCUI W/ SE103 & SE 6 SPEED
    • CVO2: 2003 FLSCTI
Gel pad inserts
« on: June 02, 2009, 09:42:54 AM »

Anyone have any experience with installing a gel pad inside a Corbin or any other saddle? I have heard great things about Real Deal Customs in MD but was wondering if there are any that are closer to FL.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Gel pad inserts
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:40:44 PM »

McDonalds auto upolstery in Fort Myers did some for me back in 02 for a Road King, Used the Pro Pad brand inserts, removed the cover and sculpted the foam to bury the pads, then put a layer of foam over the ProPad and reinstalled the seat cover. Did it on sat morning while I waited, took about an hour and they did mine and a buddies.
I had a second seat done by the Pro Pad people in 05, Both did a good job but McDonalds did so good you couldn't tell they had ever been into the seat and the Gel Never showed thru, Pro Pad factory install on the 05 would show when it got really hot outside and the vinyl stretched. Both places charged the same.

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 06:14:04 AM »

But Buffers install them in a Mustang seat i had.  I hated them.  Made the seat less comfortable after a little while then it was before.  I have a Corbin seat and it is fine for a couple of hours.  On long rides, I use an Airhawk pad, that seems to help.  No motorcycle seat is going to make you comfortable for a long ride.  Sooner or later you will get fanny fatigue.  I have a Corbin seat and it is fine for a couple of hours. 
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 07:38:24 AM »

I had the waffle gel pad put in my 06  SE Ultra seat, they also put 3 layers of memory foam.

What I have heard and agree with is that a Gel pads alone s..ks. Gel pad with memory foam is the ticket.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

baddog652

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 07:55:15 AM »

Thanks for all of your replies. I too heard Butt Buffer sucked. They put their gel on the top of the foam and it does get hot and I have heard that it also moves. As for no seat is going to solve the problem I whole heartedly agree. I have had a Road Zeppelin air seat, a tall boy, a Mustang and now a Corbin. They all hurt after a couple hours but the Corbin looks so good.

Thanks again for all the replies and remember "There's an ass for every seat but not a seat for every ass".
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 05:41:53 PM by baddog652 »

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 05:25:14 PM »

The PRO PAD brand gel doesn't suck at all, I have over 60,000 miles on them in two seats and two different bikes. They do not absorb heat, they do not move around, they do absorb vibration and do cut down on Hot spots. Any pad that moves is due to the installer, not the pad. If installed correctly you should never feel the pad, it should sit no different than foam, basically you should never know it is in there by feel. It just does not compress as foam does and will not absorb moisture/heat etc. I think most people expect the gel to be some major voodoo deal, they are just a more modern version of foam, they mold to you and work with the foam in the seat to make you more comfortable. Not sure how anyone could not like correctly installed gel. It works, you just have to know its makeup and understand its use.

baddog652

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 05:39:17 PM »

First off thanks for the info I really appreciate it. Secondly I agree about the install. It's got to be done right. Last, I am going to use a guy in MD called Real Deal Customs. From the reviews I read he has a great reputation. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 05:43:12 PM by baddog652 »

sem_bunda

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 Electric Orange
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 05:56:41 PM »

Baddog or others, Any knowledge of Mean City Cycles in NC?  They also do gel and foam inserts, customized so you keep the stock seat appearance (which I like).  I only know one person who has used them but they love it.

baddog652

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 06:39:41 PM »

I haven't heard of them but I'll let you know if Real Deal Customs in Northeast MD does a good job. The owner says I'll never know it was modified by looking at it. He doesn't put the gel under the leather but instead puts it under the foam at the seat pan to eliminate the heat problem I have been told about. I'm sending them my seat and my wifes and should have them back in 14-18 days so I guess I'll know then.

All I want is to be able to ride from gas stop to gas stop (150 miles) without major discomfort.

Thanks for your reply.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 07:31:04 PM »

I have gel in my Saddleman Road Sofa and if it were up to me I would NOT do it again.

Yes, the gel is comfy but I found that it also is temperature sensative. When I leave the bike parked in the sun on a hot day the gel becomes almost scalding. In Arizona and Nevada I almost fried my scrotum when I sat down after a lunch stop. Up in Colorado when the temps dropped way below freezing, the gel became like Blue Ice. It was like sitting on a block of ice until the seat heater did it's job. Now I ride with a lambskin cover on the seat to keep my butt insulated.

Your experiences may vary.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 08:48:01 PM »

Tell us more about the lambskin. I've seen them on seats and wondered about them. Are they cooler? do they help with the fatigue? Just what do they do and are they worth it? thanks,
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 01:47:39 AM »

I bought the lambskin from an upholstery shop. It's not custom cut, it's just a pelt that I threw over the seat and secured with suspender clips. It does make the ride cooler in the summer. It's comfy yet does not get hot and humid. It's very nice in cold weather too. I would say it helps a little with fatigue, but seat construction and design goes a lot futher than just a pelt. I forget what I paid for it but it was jworth it just to keep myself from frying everytime I jumped on the seat.

Tell us more about the lambskin. I've seen them on seats and wondered about them. Are they cooler? do they help with the fatigue? Just what do they do and are they worth it? thanks,
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Phoenixbiker

• CVO1: 09 Ruby Red SEEG
    • CVO2: (non) 94 Red FLHTUC
    • CVO3: (non) 82 FXR
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 07:43:57 AM »

INDENIAL we use lambskins in Australia for the comfort, breathability and it is not like vynyl or leather in the sun or frost/snow. Also when wet it is just a chamoise wipe and not at all soggy. Personally after a long ride nothing is soft enough. Longest ride, Alice Springs to Port Augusta - 14 hours. :)
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up space!

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.