Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to add a CB radio to 09 SERG  (Read 2320 times)

Lkn4advtr

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 11 FLTRUSE
how to add a CB radio to 09 SERG
« on: April 07, 2009, 04:28:26 PM »

Im trying to add a CB radio to my 09 SERG anyone have any tips or suggestions on a cheap way to go? was even wondering about a cb setup for the helmet anyone ever used one of those?
'Rollin down the highway, Lookin for adventure"

hogasm

Re: how to add a CB radio to 09 SERG
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:37:02 PM »

Were you able to achieve your goal here :nixweiss:

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 06:48:08 PM »

just saw this sorry, I did the Factory CB install on mine, not for the faint of heart, especially to internally wire for the PTT. PM me if interested in more details
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 07:45:55 PM »

just saw this sorry, I did the Factory CB install on mine, not for the faint of heart, especially to internally wire for the PTT. PM me if interested in more details

What antenna and mount did you use  ?
Send Pics thanks

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 07:01:26 AM »

all i did was change the antenna to a CB/am/fm from J&M and installed a signal splitter from Sierraelectronics.com, installed it in the fairing, way ez. I get 3-4 miles on transmit.

hobbes3

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 06:57:40 PM »

My dealer installed my CB and encountered considerable difficulty and I incurred excessive cost for three reasons:
1) HD's frame-mount CB antenna does not mirror the AM-FM antenna position or angle.  It also interfered with the SERG fender extensions.  I had to go to a Dakota Digital (fairing mount) AM-FM antenna (with lousy reception) to avoid the JC Whitney appearance of HD's mismatched dual antenna.
2) The overlay cable that HD recommends (70169-06) does not extend to rear Tour Pak speakers, requiring the purchase of another cable, and it buries the tank console connector under the gas tank. The Technician researched and selected the use of 70160-08A, a more expensive harness.
3) HD elected not to equip the SERG with a PTT switch, even though the FLTR has the PTT switch (on a bike without CB).  For some boneheaded reason, rather than use the internally wired - chrome plated housing switch cluster from the SEUltra, HD eliminated the switch on the SERG.  It is unbelievable how much technician time is involved in adding the PTT switch because a special internal bracket is needed, then a different lower handlebar housing (for volume & PTT switches) and then the tech discovered the volume control switch also needed to be replaced.

If I had to pay non-discounted prices and if the dealer hadn't 'eaten' some of the labor, my CB install would have cost over $4,000!

p.s. I've made three attempts to get HD's attention regarding this situation, to no avail.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 07:09:52 PM »

wow, whole lot of trouble. Mine wasn't THAT bad. got the standard harness internally wired, had to lengthen the wires and add the PTT. I use only one antenna, gets am/fm/cb/ weather no problems. Most HD mechanics will not this whole procedure correct. I saw an 09 SERG with CB and they externally ran the wires, chicken chit.
I think my whole time on the labor was 5 hours, and I'm just some shade tree jack legged mechanic.
The local dealer here would not sell a friend of mine a CB module, said they had to change out the radio.

slorider

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 09:12:08 PM »

Hey LarryB  put me on that email list for part numbers and tips - shortcuts       I have been going to sent you a e-mail but saw you were on a iron butt run  (congrats on a good time)    It was also nice to have meet you and your wife at the hog rally. I was over your way last week-end for the little big town ride and concert. I saw another silver serg there  it had some rear fender chrome on it, didnt see the owner but the bike looked good.     Thanks     JT

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 06:21:01 AM »

Hey LarryB  put me on that email list for part numbers and tips - shortcuts       I have been going to sent you a e-mail but saw you were on a iron butt run  (congrats on a good time)    It was also nice to have meet you and your wife at the hog rally. I was over your way last week-end for the little big town ride and concert. I saw another silver serg there  it had some rear fender chrome on it, didnt see the owner but the bike looked good.     Thanks     JT
That SERG you saw was Rick C I believe. I had some backstage passes to that show but wound laying out after the iron butt thing.
First thing to do is go look at Ebay for an 06 and up HK CB module. if you can't find a deal there then go to Chicago HD and order one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-PARTS-TOURING-MODELS-CB-MODULE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem4146935b68QQitemZ280356936552QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 25 queries.