Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First ride with tour pack  (Read 1259 times)

elmo

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
First ride with tour pack
« on: June 28, 2009, 08:17:04 PM »

My wife and I finally got to take our first ride on our SERG with the tour pack mounted. It is currently mounted with the quick detatch hardware. The first thing we noticed was how close we sat together. It felt as if she was leaning forward but she wasn't.Our previous bike (06 RG) had a tour pack with the permanent rack mount and it had adjustments to move the tour pack back.  Has anyone mounted their tour pack using the permanent rack and did it allow for more room? I've read on here that a bracket exists that will move the tour pack back. Does anyone know who makes this bracket?? and does it work with a permanent mount or quick detatch??

Thanks in advance!
Greg

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: First ride with tour pack
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 08:22:40 PM »

My wife and I finally got to take our first ride on our SERG with the tour pack mounted. It is currently mounted with the quick detatch hardware. The first thing we noticed was how close we sat together. It felt as if she was leaning forward but she wasn't.Our previous bike (06 RG) had a tour pack with the permanent rack mount and it had adjustments to move the tour pack back.  Has anyone mounted their tour pack using the permanent rack and did it allow for more room? I've read on here that a bracket exists that will move the tour pack back. Does anyone know who makes this bracket?? and does it work with a permanent mount or quick detatch??

Thanks in advance!
Greg

Greg I just mounted a full size tour pak on a Street Glide Friday and the mounting rack had two sets of holes so the TP could be mounted further back or closer.

Look under the rack and see if you have another set of holes.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 08:36:36 PM »

reg

After you make sure you have the TP mounted back as far as possible, George Anderson makes a good mount that will give you additional room. Call him at  309 236 0952. The next two pics show the difference.

With out the G.A. mount

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 08:37:16 PM »

with George's mount

JW

09 S/T FLTRSE3

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Silver/ Titanium FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:26:18 AM »

My wife and I finally got to take our first ride on our SERG with the tour pack mounted. It is currently mounted with the quick detatch hardware. The first thing we noticed was how close we sat together. It felt as if she was leaning forward but she wasn't.Our previous bike (06 RG) had a tour pack with the permanent rack mount and it had adjustments to move the tour pack back.  Has anyone mounted their tour pack using the permanent rack and did it allow for more room? I've read on here that a bracket exists that will move the tour pack back. Does anyone know who makes this bracket?? and does it work with a permanent mount or quick detatch??

Thanks in advance!
Greg                                                        

Hey Greg, I have the chopped tour-pak on my bike. The detachable rack for the 09s is a new design. I drilled four more holes in the top of the rack allowing the tour-pak to be moved back about an inch. It helped quite a bit.

Cheers, Ken  8)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:28:45 AM by 09 S/T FLTRSE3 »

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 10:11:37 AM »

'09's have no provision for a forward/back mounting. In fact the "suggested" mounting is pretty far back. If you go much further back than the holes it has you drill it becomes kind of over center and weak, base of the tour pak is not very strong. I thought of moving mine back and then happened to run onto a guy with one he had drilled an extra set of holes for and it was already fractured around the rear holes. Beware.

elmo

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 10:25:03 AM »

I am going to swing by the dealer today and look at how the bracket looks on a standard Electra Glide and see if there is any adjustmenst on the fixed mount. One the tour pack is on it will never be taken off so I may just get a fixed mount and do away with all the quick detatch stuff. I enjoy feeling my wife curled up against my back but not at 70mph in 100 degree temps, I am going to have to figure something out to create some air space between us! At this point there isn't even enough room for me to install a back rest.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 05:48:04 PM »

I am a larger guy and my wife is normal sized, I use my backrest, she has more room than she did on my SEEG. R U sure you mounted the tourpak in the correct holes?

elmo

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 06:19:56 PM »

Rode the bike to the dealership today and compared it to an Electra Glide. It appears they mounted the tour pack in the forward position. However, I really do not like the looks of the quick detatch tour pack rack and am opting to install the fixed mount as I will not be removing my tour pack. As luck would have it, a local HOG member has a CVO Ultra that he is converting over to quick detatch. Wwe are going to do a parts swap and save us some money. Once I get all the bugs worked out I'll post some pictures of my final setup. While the dealership is swapping the tour packs out, I am going to have them install the garage door opener.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 09:31:35 PM »

Hard to believe a mbr of this site would PAY a dealer to switch out a tourpak. This is so easy. Good luck on that.

elmo

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 08:05:30 AM »

I have no problem doing the switch myself but in this case There is the other bike that is being converted to quick detatch and swapping of parts between the two bikes. So, I figured it woul be much easier just to have both bikes there and let them deal with it and just pick it up. Plus I am in the middle of swapping transfer cases in my tow rig and don't have the time to take my bike apart.  :-[

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.