Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where do Harley get off !  (Read 3454 times)

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

• CVO1: FLHXSESG2
Where do Harley get off !
« on: January 24, 2012, 07:37:23 AM »

Krypto is in at dealers for inner fairing painting to match the Krypto. No complaints with dealer they stripped the bike down & sent fairing off to the only approved Harley paint shop in the Uk. Been in today to check on progress & can't believe that Harley will not give paint details, mixing etc etc to their approved paintshop, they tried colour matching to side panel & have painted the fairing but they are not 100% happy with the match so will be trying again. Where the f**k do Harley get off with this pigheaded attitude, not as if I'm trying to paint a non CVO bike in CVO colours, dealer even asked Harley if they could supply a replacement inner fairing painted in Krypto & the reply was a big fat NO !

>:(

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Where do Harley get off !
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:46:18 AM »

But we still buy their bikes.........I found a painter in Virginia who matched my 2009 but it took him several tries. There are some links on this site that know of painters. I'm sure someone will answer this post.
Bill

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:18:13 AM »

Been like that as far back as I can remember regarding MoCo not providing paint codes for CVO's/SE's. If they don't sell the part you want in the CVO/SE color then you will have to find a paint shop that can match it. On the bright side there have been many that have found such shops and been able to get painted to match parts.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:23:55 AM »

To my knowledge, Harley Davidson doesn't "approve" any paint shop....especially over seas.  Most dealerships have their own "approved" painter but not endorsed by the MoCo (exactly why they don't have the CVO colors). 

Some painters have been very successful in matching the CVO colors.....just have to find a painter that has that level of experience.

Not sure your dealership is being totally honest with you.  Any painted CVO part can be ordered from the MoCo and it's done all the time when a bike is in an accident.  You (they) have to have the VIN number of the CVO bike being ordered for and if it's not the current model year CVO, it may take months to get it.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mark

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:27:14 AM »

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I had a small chip on the edge of my fairing when I picked up my CVO.  HD provided a local painter (that my dealer approved) with either the paint or the formula.  It was a perfect match...couldn't tell where it had been painted...long story short...HD wound up having to send me a new fairing...but my point is that someone at HD provided the painter with the right paint or formula.

SimonNottsUK

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Frosted Ivory & Vintage Gold (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust & Charcoal Slate (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2018 FLHXSE Gunship Grey
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:18:58 PM »

Hi Paul,

Not looking to defend Harley, god knows I'm aware of their many shortcomings. :(

But, in my experience, no motorcycle companies provide paint codes. This may only be in Europe, I don't know across in the USA, but certainly you cannot get paint codes from any of the Japanese manufacturers, all they give you is their colour code.

The approved company are as below, and knowing them, if they can't match it, nobody will:

http://www.8ballcustompaintwork.com/

Good luck with sorting it out, one suggestion might be to speak to Joe Black at 8 Ball directly, he may be able to advise on alternatives?

Good riding

Simon

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »

I don't recall the member who posted the information, but he had a number of krypto parts painted using a Chevy color and said it's a perfect match.  IIRC, he had some J&M speaker lids and other parts painted and posted the name of the Chevy color in at least one thread.

As for HD's position, it's been that way for a long, long time--but there are solutions.

Carl

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 02:15:16 PM »

Hi Paul,

Not looking to defend Harley, god knows I'm aware of their many shortcomings. :(

But, in my experience, no motorcycle companies provide paint codes. This may only be in Europe, I don't know across in the USA, but certainly you cannot get paint codes from any of the Japanese manufacturers, all they give you is their colour code.

The approved company are as below, and knowing them, if they can't match it, nobody will:

http://www.8ballcustompaintwork.com/

Good luck with sorting it out, one suggestion might be to speak to Joe Black at 8 Ball directly, he may be able to advise on alternatives?

Good riding

Simon
Thanks for that Simon, it is 8ball who is doing the painting, & they are not happy with their first attempt & knowing what their standards of work are like they will not settle for anything less than 100%. Just find it very frustrating how difficult the moco make things.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:03:11 PM »

I don't recall the member who posted the information, but he had a number of krypto parts painted using a Chevy color and said it's a perfect match.  IIRC, he had some J&M speaker lids and other parts painted and posted the name of the Chevy color in at least one thread.

As for HD's position, it's been that way for a long, long time--but there are solutions.

Carl

That's gotta be the new camaro green if thats true....

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 03:32:56 PM »

Would that be
Synergy Green Metallic Clearcoat    WA708S/GHS

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 04:33:58 PM »

Carl .. that was me that had used the PPG camaro green .. On the Krypto , I dont think ya can do any better .. I see know somebody even posted the number .. I think anybody will be plzd with the results.. IMHO..

kemp31

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 07:22:53 PM »

i hear ya screaming, i have been fighting with them for 3 months trying to get  a accepetable match for the tequila sunrise paint to paint some extended saddle bags. PPG paint rep ordered some factory packed from the color lab and its close but not exact. MoCo told me  today all the have is touch-up bottles to sell. But was johnny on the spot to offer to sell me some extended harley bags in  my color. Really makes you think about buying a special color bike again. I told MoCo its sad when they promote "building your own" style bike, and that is just whatever crap you can bolt on it. Had already been eyeing a new CVO SESG at riders HD but now i'm having second thoughts.  :-\

what really makes it funny i seen a new 2012 Ultra limited at rocketCity HD that had the inner faring painted. the inner faring matched the paint i was sold, but didnt match the bike. so i know its no need to order painted parts from them cause its not gonna match either  :(

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 25 queries.