Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stock road glide windshields dont fit?  (Read 3354 times)

infanterene

• Full CVO Member
Stock road glide windshields dont fit?
« on: June 05, 2009, 08:14:45 PM »

Today I bought a tall factory windshield in the hopes of hearing my stereo at highway speeds on long trips. There was no way to get it on. The holes would not line up to my CVO. Do the CVO's require a different windshield?

By the way the tall windshield looked way better than I thought it would. If I get one on and it works good it will probably stay on.(I must be getting old)

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Re: Stock road glide windshields dont fit?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 08:25:48 PM »

There are lots of posts about windshields for the SERG. Pretty sure the stock roadglide w/s won't fit without some mods. I have the Clearview Gt Med with light tint. Look pretty good from the side, but my kid thinks it looks like a snowmobile from the front. Either way I can now hear the stereo on the highway and I don't have to wear ear plugs anymore.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:25:23 PM »

Not sure why yours won't fit. I borrowed and tried a stock RG windshield on my SERG and it fit fine. Did you try to use the stock windscreen gasket that came on the bike? It will not work, you have to have a stock RG weatherstrip to make the W/S fit correctly. By the way, the stock w/s did not work as good as my Windvest 12" FYI.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:26:43 PM »

it'll go, not the best fit.  :smash:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 10:12:16 PM »

Today I bought a tall factory windshield in the hopes of hearing my stereo at highway speeds on long trips. There was no way to get it on. The holes would not line up to my CVO. Do the CVO's require a different windshield?

By the way the tall windshield looked way better than I thought it would. If I get one on and it works good it will probably stay on.(I must be getting old)
Using the Cee Bailey Mounting Kit and OEM Rubber Seal, The Factory windshield fit fine on my SERG,

infanterene

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:35:19 PM »

Actually by stock I meant factory. It's a factory tall shield. The holes dont line up on one side. Maybe they gave me a  pre 2005 shield.

09 S/T FLTRSE3

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Silver/ Titanium FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 09:22:19 AM »

Checked the part # against the 2009 Genuine Motor Accesories And Motor Parts Book. It sounds like they gave you a pre 2004 shield. 2004 is the year that they made the change in the fairing angle and windshield angle. The correct part # for the tall shield to fit your bike is 5823-04A

Cheers, Ken 8)

TBird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG O/B
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Annie (Traded)
    • CVO3: 05 Springer Classic
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 10:28:15 AM »

Love the snowmobile look comment, well said. The SERG is the hottest looking bike on the road with the right windshield but it can look pretty homely with the wrong one.
"We might be divorced but your still my sister"

slsecvorg110

• Full CVO Member
  • FLTRSE3 CV0

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 12:16:07 PM »

I bought a Factory stock Road Glide screen off of an 08 and got a stock gasket for same and it went on fairly easily. The fit is not as clean as the original but the difference it makes at highway speeds is well worth it.

Orange you glad you got one?  I am!
TTS Mastertune with Fullsac Map. K&N Element.
Fullsac 2" Baffles, Gutted Cat. Bosch Iridium Plugs. 440 Progressive shocks, Passenger floor boards with angle spacers, Driver boards spaced 1". LePera Sorrento Seat. ClearView Re curve wind shield. Mini Beast air horn. Pulsing brake light module. Hyper white head lamps. Detach Chopped Tour Pack. George Anderson Tour Pack Relocator. Wild one 517 bars.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 12:27:58 PM »

infanterene, 

You did not say how you tried to install the windshield.  If you did not already, try this procedure:  Install the well nuts onto the windshield first (screw in but do not tighten) then insert one at a time into the fairing beginning with the center well nut and proceeding out from there, then tighten.  That should make it work for you. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Dracula

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 02:16:07 PM »

The dealer gave me a stock shield as a little sumpin' sumpin' extra with the bike.  I put it on for a while, it was okay (didn't like the look), but in a matter of a few miles the molding strip between the fairing halves, under the shield, wore the black paint off of the inside of the bottom of the shield.  Any one else see this?  I guess I need to take the faring apart to re-align the molding?  I really miss the bare-naked Wide Glide sometimes!!

:vampire:

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 07:22:18 PM »

Regardless of year, all Road Glide windshields will work on any year fairing. It has been the same fairing since 1999 I believe. The only difference is in 2004 they tilted the fairing down 4 degrees. I actually ran an 05 tall windshield on my 02 RG and it worked great. Made it tilt back towards me and put the top closer to me which directed the airflow over me better. I also put my stock 02 windshield on my 09 SERG until I got my Cee Bailey.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

infanterene

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 10:46:14 AM »

I got it to fit with the regular molding. Unfourtunatly the edge of tall factory shield is right at my eyelevel. This makes it feel like I am wearing bifocals. My buddy is shorter than me and has a lower seat so it should work out for him.

slorider

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 10:48:22 AM »

While I was waiting on my Cee Bailys  I took the factory shield off my 04 road glide and put it on my 09 serg and it fit great.  You just have to use the bottom rubber strip and the 2 pieces of weather stripping to get it right.  I made a 1200 mile road trip and most of it was at 70 to 80 mph .  without and problems.

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 25 queries.