Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Brake problem  (Read 2981 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Strange Brake problem
« on: May 17, 2008, 06:54:22 PM »

about 300-400 miles ago, I replaced my friends Road King brakes with the Lyndall Zplus when I replaced mine.
The brakes were fine and not that worn, but we did the tires so it made sense.  I did the cleaning procedure as recommended by Lyndall and all went fine.  The other night, the brakes were make a loud sound like dragging a heavy chair across the floor.  After pulling over, I felt the rotors and the right side was very hot, the left not.  Today he cleanded the right side again and we went for a ride of about 40 miles and it started again to drag on that side. :'(
The most obvious would be the caliper, but its weird that it happened after doing the pads.  I can't imagine how a bad pad could do this.

Open for ideas. 
PS, he's not open to go the chrome route.   :nixweiss:

thanks
Phil
Any day on the bike is a good day.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Strange Brake problem
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 09:31:48 PM »

about 300-400 miles ago, I replaced my friends Road King brakes with the Lyndall Zplus when I replaced mine.
The brakes were fine and not that worn, but we did the tires so it made sense.  I did the cleaning procedure as recommended by Lyndall and all went fine.  The other night, the brakes were make a loud sound like dragging a heavy chair across the floor.  After pulling over, I felt the rotors and the right side was very hot, the left not.  Today he cleanded the right side again and we went for a ride of about 40 miles and it started again to drag on that side. :'(
The most obvious would be the caliper, but its weird that it happened after doing the pads.  I can't imagine how a bad pad could do this.

Open for ideas. 

thanks
Phil

Sounds like a piston sticking.

vagabond6542

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 09:52:43 PM »

Sounds like a piston sticking.

I agree, the calipers are not releasing after braking. :nervous:

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:14:49 PM »

with all do respect, sense you were just in the calipers it is easy to pull them back apart and check the antirattle springs and what not.  if its making that much noise hopefully it will be obvious.  axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:20:17 PM »

Definitely sounds like a sticking caliper.  What model year is the bike (old style single piston sliding caliper, recent style 4 piston fixed caliper, latest style Brembo)?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 11:12:06 PM »

with all do respect, sense you were just in the calipers it is easy to pull them back apart and check the antirattle springs and what not.  if its making that much noise hopefully it will be obvious.  axil

The noise only happens after riding / braking a bit.

It's a 2005 Road King.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 11:18:14 AM »

The noise only happens after riding / braking a bit.

It's a 2005 Road King.

Time to take it back apart and look for abnormalities.  Something is causing the pad(s) to not retract, quickly building heat which just makes the binding worse and then creates the noise.  Probably the number one issue I've seen over the years after a pad change is related to the anti-rattle clip (spring).  Check it for proper installation, roughness or a groove at the contact point, the pad backing plate where it rubs the anti-rattle clip for roughness, and make certain the pad pins aren't binding in the pads as well.  Once you've verified that the pads themselves aren't binding, remove them and place a block between the pistons, just like the Lyndall cleaning procedure, and watch the action of the pistons as you gently apply the brake.  All the pistons should move smoothly.  Then press each piston completely back into the caliper bore one at a time and feel for binding, roughness, or variation in effort required.  Also, while it most likely wouldn't apply in this case where the original pads weren't worn out, it's a good idea to check the fluid level and make sure it isn't too high.  If folks add fluid as their pads wear, that excess fluid has to be removed when installing new pads or you can get hydraulic lock.

If you find one or more of the pistons binding, try cleaning again.  If this was the first time the build up was cleaned, there may still be some material in there causing the binding.  Also, with new pads installed the pistons will be sitting deeper in the bores.  It's possible that there is some corrosion in one or more of the bores that has now come into play.  If additional attempts at cleaning still doesn't free up one or more of the pistons, it's time to either rebuild the caliper or just replace it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 12:08:54 PM »

Open for ideas. 

thanks
Phil

If I understand you correct you changed the tires too? If so I would go back and check the front forks axle for proper set up. You can put it on a jack and see if the front wheel is tight in rotation, loosen the bolts on one caliper at a time to see which one is causing the drag. I have had to loosen the bottom fork axle nuts on the throttle side fork while its still torqued in the other fork and rotate the front tire a few times this lets the forks find there natural center and retorque the 1/2 nuts.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 02:58:23 PM »

If I understand you correct you changed the tires too? If so I would go back and check the front forks axle for proper set up. You can put it on a jack and see if the front wheel is tight in rotation, loosen the bolts on one caliper at a time to see which one is causing the drag. I have had to loosen the bottom fork axle nuts on the throttle side fork while its still torqued in the other fork and rotate the front tire a few times this lets the forks find there natural center and retorque the 1/2 nuts.

Very interesting.  i'll get it off the the ground this week and c heck that.  I did set up the axle by the book with the 5/16' drill as the gauge.

I'l do this as well as what GRC suggested.  I do not believe in coincidence as much as I did when I was younger.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 10:35:23 AM »

Well, the caliper is being replaced.  Looking at the service manual for my 2007, it seems that HD did officially move the rotors to the opposite side, rotor marked lefy is on right and verse visa. Strange.

Question, which side of the duals gets bled forst? I believe is the furthest away from the master so that would be the left?

Thanks

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 11:20:21 AM »

Always furthest to nearest the master cylinder when bleeding brakes...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 02:18:36 PM »

A couple of things you can try, lift the bike and turn the front wheel by hand and see how much the drag really is, then try the brake a few times to see if it changes. Also try riding a short distance, a mile or two without using the front brake. Stop and check to see if one side is a lot warmer, or hot, might be warm, but shouldn't get hot if not used, If it only happens after using the front brake, then I'd think it was a sticky piston for sure. Only other thing I can think of is somehow when you reinstalled the caliper it got out of alignment, might try pulling the one off having the problem and making sure the mating surfaces are clean, check the pad pin, just a guess.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 05:08:17 PM »

I changed the caliper, bled OK.  Seems to be fine, I did look for runout of the rotor.  Loosened the axle retaining bolts to let the forks find their comfort spot as directed in earlier thread.  Waiting for a test ride.  One of the pads was glazed.  I called Lyndall and discussed the above remedies with Paul.  He was very helpful.  I scuffed the pad up with 60 grit.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 09:16:40 PM »

new caliper, all fixed.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 09:24:37 PM »

I'm reopening my own topic, this time for my Street Glide.  I bought it with 1600 miles, brakes squealing badly.  Put Lyndall Z plus all around.  After 1000 miles, fronts started to squeal again.  Replaced with floating rotors last week, so far so good.

Now the rear have begun a high pitched squeal.  I also noticed it squeal when pushing it in the garage for the evening.  I felt the rotor and its hot.  The front left is warm, front right is hot, but the rear is too hot to touch.  This was just after twice around the block.

What kind of luck am I having when replacing brake pads that I then need to replace rotors, calipers, etc.

Is this strange?  How hot will the rear rotor get?  Brake fluid is fine, pedal free play is good. Unfortunately, removing rear calipers is more of a chore than the front!

signed,
Desparate and squeaky

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 25 queries.