Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seized front axle  (Read 1499 times)

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
Seized front axle
« on: August 17, 2009, 08:57:50 PM »

Today I took my bike to the dealer's where I bought it 'cause the front tire had cracks in the deep part of the treads. I was told the tire wouldn't pass inspection and that I would have to replace it. I was shocked! I thought that the treads were plenty deep, but they showed me the gauge reading. So I said to replace the tire. After about 2 hrs of waiting they told me that the axle was seized and it would take them a little longer. After what seemed like an endless wait, they pulled my bike out front. I went to pay and was told that the work wasn't done, that they had just put it back together to get me home. They couldn't get it unseized; they are going to order parts and will have to cut my axle to get the wheel off. Has anyone ever had this done? I was told that when they manufacture these bikes, that they don't use Never Seize so that is the reason it won't come apart. At least it will be cover under the warranty and all I'll have to pay for is the tire and changing, the nitrogen fill, and the $50 deductable on the warranty. (I didn't think that they had a deductable on the factory warranty. I thought it was on the extend warranty only. I'll have to look into that.)  
Member 4721
FXDSE2-Candy Cobalt/Midnight Blue

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Seized front axle
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:54:22 PM »

There was anti-seize on the front axle of my 05 when it was new.  On the 2000 also but it had been serviced before so I can't say it was there when new.  Have taken others apart that had anti-seize on the front axle also.  Though none recently.  They might have wimped out in the last couple years.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 07:32:31 AM »

if thay have to beat on it that hard to get the axle out make shore thay replace the wheel bearings.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 07:45:10 AM »

They say they can't get the wheel off without cutting it off??????????

That seems strange to me, if it were me, I would (attempt) do it at the house.

Anti-seize is used at my dealership every time a wheel is off.

As far as the $50.00 deductible my dealership only charges that after 24 months, as you stated the extended plan.
I would check into that, not sure what year bike you have.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:29:32 AM »

sounds like some more dealer BS, an axle without anti seize? man o man. i have had some that were a biotch to get out but they all come out. to bad you don't live closer to me, i can fix it.
the dealer is using Nitrogen? odd, Dunlop will NOT honor any warrantee if anything but compressed air and external weights are used. I know alot here use Nitro and Dyna beads but they void tire warrantee
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 08:49:49 AM »

I agree, something about what that dealership is telling you doesn't seem kosher.  How old (in months since purchase) is your bike, and how many miles do you have?  I assume you are still covered under the 2 year factory warrantee, and there is absolutely no deductible.  I also don't buy the BS about the axle, and I'm wondering about the tire as well.  If the rubber is checking or cracking, that's something the tire company should take care of on a less than two year old bike.  Folks from your neck of the woods don't usually wear out front tires in less than two years, since the riding season is fairly short, but maybe you ride constantly for those months when the snow has melted?

Need some more facts on this one.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 11:52:18 PM »

I have done hundreds (maybe even thousands) of tires and I have had some axles that had to be driven out with a drift punch and hammer but never completely seized. I guess it could happed, especially with a bike that did not have and anti seize and ridden many miles in wet salty environments. We always clean the axle and reapply anti seize when reinstalling.

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 03:39:43 PM »

I bought the bike in Oct of '07 and have a little over 12,000 miles on her. My friend was also surprised about the wear on the tire and he checked the wear with his own gauge and it is worn by a half point below what is allowed for inspection. He then checked his new tire (only about 100 miles on it) and found that that it was half way to being uninspectable.  :'(
I never thought about the Dunlop warrantee. I'll have to check on that before they put it in.
Member 4721
FXDSE2-Candy Cobalt/Midnight Blue

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 25 queries.