Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing Grips  (Read 1767 times)

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
Removing Grips
« on: August 23, 2009, 02:32:33 PM »

I'm thinking about replacing my stock grips and don't really want to ruin them.  The book says to take off the switch housings and the grips will pull off.  Is this correct for the left one on an 09 SERG?  Just would like to know before I order new grips. It didn't seem like it would pull off with the switch housing still on but maybe it will when I remove it. 
Steve

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Removing Grips
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:47:36 PM »

I'm thinking about replacing my stock grips and don't really want to ruin them.  The book says to take off the switch housings and the grips will pull off.  Is this correct for the left one on an 09 SERG?  Just would like to know before I order new grips. It didn't seem like it would pull off with the switch housing still on but maybe it will when I remove it. 

Not glue ons anymore.  Not since 05 or so.

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 07:27:35 PM »

Don,

Are the 07 FLHTCUSE2 that way also.  I just had heat demons put on and the left grip could be turned when I got the bike back :'(.  I took it back to the dealer and I belive they used an expoxy to hold the grip on - It does  not turn now. 

Also how hot do the heat demons get?  Mine are not that hot and do they cycle on and off (thermostat controlled) mine seem to cool down and then heat back up.  The tech that put them on was not very knowledgeable - I should have done the mod myself. :nixweiss:  Jim told me that I could but I had so much going on I just took it in - once again a hard lesson to learn.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 08:49:47 PM »

Don,

Are the 07 FLHTCUSE2 that way also.  I just had heat demons put on and the left grip could be turned when I got the bike back :'(.  I took it back to the dealer and I belive they used an expoxy to hold the grip on - It does  not turn now. 

Also how hot do the heat demons get?  Mine are not that hot and do they cycle on and off (thermostat controlled) mine seem to cool down and then heat back up.  The tech that put them on was not very knowledgeable - I should have done the mod myself. :nixweiss:  Jim told me that I could but I had so much going on I just took it in - once again a hard lesson to learn.

We have had  3 sets of the Heat Demons on 3 bikes, and they get hot enough that you can only run on low (one light).  They do not cycle on and off, just maintain a constant temperature.   Call Symtec tomorrow and they can help you figure out what is wrong.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:22:38 PM »

Thanks, I need some bigger grips and I really like SAC grips so I'll order a set now.
Steve

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 11:03:49 PM »

We have had  3 sets of the Heat Demons on 3 bikes, and they get hot enough that you can only run on low (one light).  They do not cycle on and off, just maintain a constant temperature.   Call Symtec tomorrow and they can help you figure out what is wrong.

Thanks!
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 11:17:18 PM »

Thanks, I need some bigger grips and I really like SAC grips so I'll order a set now.

An FYI on the SAC grips.  I like them.  A lot.  Very comfortable.  And if you've got big hands their large diameter is great.  Their large diameter can be a problem on bikes with hydraulic clutch though.

The lever has to have enough travel.  On my 05 the extra thickness lost with braided levers combined with SAC grips was too much.  Clutch wouldn't quite travel far enough.  Was close.  But not enough.  Ended up putting the SAC grips on the 2000 SERG (cable clutch) and used Kuryakyn ISO grips on the SEEG.  They're comfortable too.

Not all the aftermarket grips are made to be captured by the switch housing.  So they might turn if not glued on.  Might have had a combination like that going on when your shop tech did the deed.

As Bob mentioned the Heat Demons don't cycle on and off.  I've run mine anywhere between their highest and lowest settings depending on outside temps and what gloves I've got on.  But wherever they are set they just stay there.

Did have one problem with a Heat Demons element once.  Was grounding through it's body so would not turn on once shoved back inside the bar.  Annoying part of that was they were all wired up and tested hanging outside the bar.  So after a few minutes testing said to myself, "Self, you're good to go."  Then finished putting EVERYTHING back together that was part of the handlebar swap and had no heated elements functioning.  Almost said a bad word or two until figured out it was just a bad element that could be replaced without tearing everything back apart.

Since that kind of failure is at least a possibility with these things if you find nothing else it might be worth trying.  Slide the elements out of the bars and let them hang there.  Then see if they cycle on and off outside the bars as they did when installed.  I've found the folks at Symtec to be great to work with though.  Both when we did the group buy and when I had the bad element.  Give them a call and I'd be very surprised if they didn't attempt to be very helpfull getting it sorted out for you. 

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 07:47:52 PM »

what is SAC grips???  I have fat hands also. the grips have always been a gripe !
a.k.a  Dent Dude

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 08:26:50 PM »

what is SAC grips???  I have fat hands also. the grips have always been a gripe !
Click the link - SAC Motorcycle Grips.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 09:39:35 PM »

I have a set on my 03 SERK and really like them.  We went on an extended trip with my 09 SERG and my hands hurt me some & I'm sure it's because the grips are so much smaller.  I had used larger grips on my SERK and they helped but the SAC grips are even a little larger than Harley's large grips---much more comfortable for me plus they are sort of padded the way they're made so they're pretty soft too.
Steve

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.