Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: overcharging on my 01 road glide  (Read 5717 times)

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
overcharging on my 01 road glide
« on: August 31, 2009, 08:52:07 AM »

was rolling down the highway, and noticed my amps bouncing between 14 and 16 amps. Made some calls and replaced the voltage regulator in the parking lot of a dealership in Pa. That did not cure my issues. turned around and made it home. Most of the ride it was ok at a steady 14 amps.. A few miles before home it started again, made it to the dealership with 10 minutes to spare on a sunday! Picked up a stator. In the middle of replacing that now. has anyone experienced this before? wasted 250 on the regulator and another 160 ion the stator. I will be mad as hell if it still does this..... possible faulty guage?
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
Re: overcharging on my 01 road glide
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:56:41 AM »

Who is troubleshooting this for you????
Sounds to me like they are asking you to be a parts changer........

You could have purchased a very good Multi Meter for what you have spent already. That probably would have brought you to the cause.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 08:59:38 AM »

the amps should be verified with a meter as stated.  It could be a rogue power draw causing the charging system not to keep up, or even a bad ground.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:02:15 AM »

I was on the road, and wanted to try to diagnos it myself, I figured it could only be only  of the two things I mentioned. the regulator sounded like it was going to fix it. It regulates current. So when that was not it I was suprised. and I thought it would be hard to troubleshoot since it does not happen all the time. And it was a sunday, and no service counters are open.
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:04:44 AM »

lets make this simple. It is OVERCHARGING, Not undercharging. Pegged at 16+ amps for at least 25 miles... 14 amps rolling down the road is average, and never bounces off that mark, well any bagger I ever road.
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 09:28:51 AM »

The gauge measures voltage, not amperage, btw. 

It has been my experience that the H-D voltmeter, just like the other ancillary gauges, tends to be a cheap POS.  Before replacing that stator or any other parts, get a voltmeter (doesn't have to be a high priced fancy smancy Fluke meter, a cheap Craftsman will do) and check actual voltage at the battery terminals with the engine running at various rpm.  That will tell you if you have a voltage issue.  Make certain all connections are clean and tight, and give special attention to the ground connection for the voltage regulator at the right side exhaust bracket at the trans.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 09:34:36 AM »

was rolling down the highway, and noticed my amps bouncing between 14 and 16 amps. Made some calls and replaced the voltage regulator in the parking lot of a dealership in Pa. That did not cure my issues. turned around and made it home. Most of the ride it was ok at a steady 14 amps.. A few miles before home it started again, made it to the dealership with 10 minutes to spare on a sunday! Picked up a stator. In the middle of replacing that now. has anyone experienced this before? wasted 250 on the regulator and another 160 ion the stator. I will be mad as hell if it still does this..... possible faulty guage?

I'm not quite sure what the issues are......are you blowing bulbs? What is the result of your high voltage issues?

I noticed the same readings on my '09, but, just let it go......after some 30k miles, no problems.

HOGMIKE

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 10:36:04 AM »

You don't need a stator. The stator will eat up a battery if the regulator is bad. That is why they call it a regulator. I will bet it is your gauge. Start the bike and let it idle, put a meter on the battery terminals and check the voltage. It should be between 14 and 14.5!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 08:05:15 AM »

Thanks fella's. it was a faulty guage. I should had tested the battery . I know better for sure. Being on the road I picked the easy fix, not so easy on my wallet though. to make me feel better about the miss diagnos, at 76,000 on the clock I will blow this off as maintience. Ride on, headpan!
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 25 queries.