Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sirius radio problem  (Read 1490 times)

goauto

sirius radio problem
« on: March 21, 2014, 06:21:55 PM »

Hi all. I hope someone may be able to help . My 2014 CVO radio has had some problems. The latest update seems to have fixed many of the issues but I am having problems with The Sirius radio not being able to keep linked up when riding. The radio breaks up or says signal lost while riding. I have made sure all other options are off such as CB and VOX . The signal strength only shows one small bar most of the time. At Daytona bike week it was unusable unless sitting still. Anyone else been having any problems ?   

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
Re: sirius radio problem
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 06:40:43 PM »

Two things, make sure the xm {Sirius) module is plugged in good. I had one of the plugs bad. Also if the antenna is still in the fairing take it out and mount outside. I have a 2010 but it probably works the same. I have mine mounted on the dash just left of the windshield.

garretn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:27:17 PM »

My XM has not had good reception since the beginning.  This system is so frustrating filled with issues.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:48:05 PM »

I have great reception on my 2012. Not so good on my 2007. No idea why the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 12:06:36 PM »

My satellite radio reception on both the '07 and my '13 SEUC has been marginal at best. If I am on an open highway it stays with me most of the time but in town or in the mountains the signal is blocked by trees, buildings, or terrain. That is the nature of the beast, had similar issues in my Tahoe but not as often. An external antennae is the best fix for better reception.

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTKSE3 Stardust Silver Canyon Copper
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE Phantom Blue Palladium Silver
    • CVO3: 2023 FLTKXSE Dark Platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 02:21:07 PM »

I've got XM in two bikes.  My CVO (08) came with it and I added it to my 08 FLHX.  I get great reception.  I would look to see where your antenna is mounted.  It could be that it came loose from its perch and is "hiding" under something.  If it's mounted correctly, you should not have a problem.
DCC - 2023 FLTKXSE, 2016 FLHTKSE, 2008 FLHX,

UAV Pilot

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »

The placement of the antenna and EVERYTHING between it and the open air will degrade signal.  If I am not mistaken, the power of an XM signal from space is measured in femtowatts.  In other words  0.000000000000001 versus lets say a CB radio that transmits with 5 watts.  The point is that the signal is so so small that almost anything will degrade the signal.  I have found that I get better reception when traveling south when I am in Texas than traveling North.  the only difference is that traveling North, the windshield is between the signal and my antenna but not so traveling south.
Better to Remain Silent and Thought a Fool, Than To Open One's Mouth and Remove All Doubt......Abraham Lincoln

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 25 queries.