Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD Ventilator A/C vs Zipper's MaxFlo A/C...questions?  (Read 3014 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
HD Ventilator A/C vs Zipper's MaxFlo A/C...questions?
« on: November 14, 2009, 05:46:41 AM »

I had the Zipper's MaxFlo air filter with chrome backing plate on my bike.  My dealer destroyed my filter somehow and replaced it with a SE filter (much smaller filter).  I got a new MaxFlo filter from Zipper's, but it's still wrapped in plastic.  I'm think about putting the HD Ventilator filter setup on instead and selling the Zipper's Maxflo setup with chrome backplate, while I still have the brand new filter for it.

Will I need to make any tuning changes? It was dynoed with the Zipper setup on there.  I don't have any other changes besides my D&D FatCat 2 into 1's and the HD Super Tuner.

Will I get more, less, or about the same air flow with the openly exposed Ventilator filter vs the much higher surface area Zipper filter?

It appears from the HD website that the Ventilator A/C only comes with a black backing plate.  Is that the case and is it something noticeable?

If I make this change, is there anyone out there that might want to purchase the Zipper MaxFlo setup for their bike?  Once I take it off, since I have the brand new filter still wrapped in plastic, this setup will be like brand new...but I'll obviously sell it for a much better price than new.

I also thought about going with the HD Heavy Breather, but even the one that's made for bikes with lower fairings may not work, since I have the HogTunes lower fairing speakers installed, and I'm afraid that since they protrude from the glove box area about an inch, that may cause a problem.  I don't know for sure since I wasn't even aware that they made a Heavy Breather for bikes with lowers until a few days ago, and I haven't seen a bike with one installed.

I'm planning on heading to a local dealer later this morning for a 20% off sale, so I need to make my decision within the next several hours.  Does anyone have any input for me on this?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 06:03:35 AM by 1abastarsmda »

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
Re: HD Ventilator A/C vs Zipper's MaxFlo A/C...questions?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 01:07:02 PM »

Let us know what you ended up with Dave

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 08:27:16 PM »

Let us know what you ended up with Dave

I ordered the Ventilator air cleaner.  I got 7 new things for my bike today...so I got my chromaholic fix today.  It sure feels good buying unnecessary things for my bike, but it was my bike's one year birthday on Thursday.  My bike's been good to me, so I felt it deserved to be adorned in some new chrome.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 08:41:40 PM »

I ordered the Ventilator air cleaner.  I got 7 new things for my bike today...so I got my chromaholic fix today.  It sure feels good buying unnecessary things for my bike, but it was my bike's one year birthday on Thursday.  My bike's been good to me, so I felt it deserved to be adorned in some new chrome.
OK.  Cough it up.... :P....what were they?  :nixweiss:  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 08:48:59 PM »

Dave, I'm with Spdy, , , don't tease us about what you bought and then don't tell us.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 09:05:39 PM »

The dealer trashed your air filter assembly and replaced it with something different without getting your ok for the change?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 09:22:06 PM »

The dealer trashed your air filter assembly and replaced it with something different without getting your ok for the change?

They did and I don't think they thought I would notice.  With the bigger filter, I was always resting my leg against the cover.  When I picked my bike up, I noticed that the cover didn't stick out as far.  I asked them about it and they told me that they tossed it (I didn't go back to ask them about it until the next day).  They found it in the trash and gave it to me.  Zipper's replaced the filter for me.

Dealers wonder why we don't trust them and then they pull chit like this.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 09:25:22 PM »

Dealers wonder why we don't trust them and then they pull chit like this.

All you can do is shake your head and wonder.  You have to feel sorry for them though.  It's got to be hard work to be that arrogant.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 09:27:15 PM »

All you can do is shake your head and wonder.  You have to feel sorry for them though.  It's got to be hard work to be that arrogant.
Some of them get plenty of chances to practice it so I believe some have become professionals at it. :-\

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 09:33:08 PM »

Some of them get plenty of chances to practice it so I believe some have become professionals at it. :-\

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Professionals at thinking they're smarter than we are about our own bikes.  They need tshirts for that gig:

Officium tumidus

:huepfenlol2:

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 09:33:54 PM »

Nothing too major...I don't have a lot of things left that I can do...unless I decide someday to crack open the motor and beef it up.  Will, I already mentioned the ventilator air cleaner.  I got the chrome fork baffle (that air deflector that goes under the forks), rocker box bolt covers, chrome muffler bracket covers, and short angled adjustable highway peg mounting kit from Harley.  I also got the Kuryakyn chrome rear cylinder base cover and the chrome front upper stabilizer link cover.  I also recently did the inner primary, left side head base cover, transmission cover, and tappet cover from Kuryakyn in chrome.  There aren't too many other things that I want to do with it now, especially since I'm back to work and have little time to ride now.  It's getting to that time of year that I'll be lucky to hit a weekend with clean roads to ride on.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 09:50:09 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

After standing in line for about 45 minutes waiting to get to the parts counter, I let the woman behind me in line go before me.  The parts guy that became available was one that I have dealt with before and I refuse to talk to him anymore.  He's lazy and has a terrible attitude.  I told the woman that I don't like that guy and she can go next.  The other guys at that dealer aren't so bad, but this one guy is so arrogant and acts like he's doing me a big favor just by sitting there.

Anyway, because I spent over $300 today, I got one of those free wall plaques today.  I put my jacket liner on the luggage rack and then bungeed the plaque over it.  I made it about 10 miles when I noticed nothing but bungee cords flying around on the back of my bike.  I turned around to go back, not know why, since I knew that the glass on that thing would be broken and probably got run over several times on the busy highway.  As I was driving back up the other side of the highway, I saw the box and my jacket liner near the concrete center barrier.  I forgot that my jacket liner was also missing, so I'm glad I went back for it.  As I stood on the side of the road watching a few hundred cars go by and blowing my liner further down the road, I wondered whether my life was worth going after either item.  Finally, there was a break in cars for a few seconds and I scooped up both.  The liner was fine.  The box with the plaque was trashed, and there were tire marks on it.  It's beyond me how the glass wasn't broken.  I strapped it back down and drove down the road.  That's when I looked back and noticed that the plaque had slid about half way out of the box, since that end of the box was destroyed beyond being able to close it back up.  After stopping in the middle of the highway twice to slide it back in, I finally reached a gas station and bought some duct tape to close up the box.  When I got home, I was amazed that there was only a little bit of damage on 2 opposite corners of the plaque and I would say it's still completely okay to hang.  I just thought I'd share that wonderful experience and now there is yet another reason why I should have had duct tape with me.

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 25 queries.