Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley Helmet  (Read 2364 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Harley Helmet
« on: August 22, 2009, 09:29:39 PM »

Are the Harley half helmets any good? If not what would you reccomend?  Time for new helmets. I do want one that can use a full face shield for rain.
Bill

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: Harley Helmet
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 12:09:51 PM »

Are the Harley half helmets any good? If not what would you reccomend?  Time for new helmets. I do want one that can use a full face shield for rain.

Oooof!  A full-face shield with a 1/2 shell?  If you want a helmet that you can put a full-face shield on, I'd recommend a good 3/4 shell then.  I've really got this bizarre picture of a dweeb riding down the road with a 1/2 shell and a full face shield... :o   :nervous:

Having said that.  All the helmets that the MoCo sell are, at a minimum, DOT approved, so you're getting more than a skid lid by buying one.  Most HD helmets are made by HJC or KBC now (every once in awhile you'll see an AGV or Shoei pop up, but those are rare).  I would recommend looking at a good (Snell approved) 3/4 shell with a removable full face shield.  I have two of those (one with a headset, one without), both have "quick release/install full-face shields.  Most, if not all, 3/4 shell HD helmets come with a full-face shield and a lot of them are Snell approved, along with their non-flip up full face helmets.  Hope this helps.
:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 09:17:13 PM »

The wife and i bought the Harley hybrid half helmets, we recently spent a week in the U.P. and since Michigan is a mandatory helmet state we wanted something comfortable. We both love them and although they are a bit pricey they were worth it.

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 07:45:01 PM »

I've really got this bizarre picture of a dweeb riding down the road with a 1/2 shell and a full face shield...

Do they still make these bubble shields from the 70's??   :2vrolijk_21:
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 07:53:35 PM »

Are the Harley half helmets any good? If not what would you reccomend?  Time for new helmets. I do want one that can use a full face shield for rain.

Yes they are.  Harley 1/2 helmet link

I bought a couple of these 1 lb. 6 oz. hybrid 1/2 helmets this summer.  Lightweight, and you can get a face shield - tinted or clear.  Mine are made by KBC and are very comfortable - the wife also likes hers.

If you need a full face shield, would suggest a 3/4 helmet instead.  Hybrid versions are available here as well - I also have a couple of these.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.