Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New rubber? Any ideas other than Dunlop?  (Read 1631 times)

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
New rubber? Any ideas other than Dunlop?
« on: September 05, 2009, 03:45:40 AM »

Well my tires have gotten to the point that I need to replace them front and back. Any ideas other Han going back with the same tires. I have had Avon tires before but talked to a dealer who told me they did not make tires to fit my bike?  I went on their site and it seem that is true?  HD dealer is charging $600.00 for the tires put on.  So just checking around first but my front tire is to the point that I can't put off much longer it isn't safe.

Thanks in advance for any help.
SCREAMIN' EAGLE SOFTAIL DEUCE (FXSTDSE2)

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
Re: New rubber? Any ideas other than Dunlop?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 05:51:12 AM »

How many miles did you get???? Front ?? Back ??

Not safe......REPLACE the tires now!!!!!!

What year is the bike???

If it's an 09 I think there are only 2 types to put on, and there are mixed feelings on both.

Personally I am keeping the same tires when mine are ready....and I am close.

Plenty of tread just getting flat on the rear.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 09:12:53 AM »

check out cyclegear.com
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 09:38:02 AM »

Thanks guys.  I have almost 7k on them.  Bike is a 2004 Screamin Eagle Deuce.  Front is MH90-21, and Rear is a 180/60-17.  When I say they are not safe...the front tire is just about bald on one side.  I am going to replace them in the next few weeks. 

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 10:31:53 AM »

Thanks guys.  I have almost 7k on them.  Bike is a 2004 Screamin Eagle Deuce.  Front is MH90-21, and Rear is a 180/60-17.  When I say they are not safe...the front tire is just about bald on one side.  I am going to replace them in the next few weeks. 

That might indicate that your bike isn't aligned properly. I'd have the alignment checked. I've seen some screwed up wear patterns and cupping on Dunlop tires before, but wearing on 1 side isn't usually the tire's fault. ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 12:07:53 PM »

I have only put 2,500 miles on the bike since it was fully serviced when I bought it.  I also just had it in to HD to have it checked out when I had the fluids changed. Thanks Hoist  :2vrolijk_21:

Would there be a problem running a 180 55 - 17 on the rear?  There are a few tires that I like that I can get in that size.  I know it is a little wider but I don't see that it would be a problem.  I have found a company Delmarva Powersports that has an open house today 20% off including special orders.  So I am going to use them I think they are trying to find another tire 180 60 - 17 but they are telling me that the 180 55 - 17 will fit?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:10:58 PM by HarleyRider2004 »

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 08:55:11 PM »

I ran Avon Venom's on my '02 Duece and loved them.  I upgrade the rear to a 5.5 by 18 and ran the 180VR55/18 radial with a 90/90-21 bias in the front.  70,000 km without a problem.  Put Cobra's on this spring but now I ride the SERG  :apple:

Harleyrider_49

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 11:19:34 AM »

Got all new rubber for my 04 this spring @ Louisville HD....had 9700mls on original tires. They were hav'n a 30% off in-stock tire sale, and they just happened to hav'm both....so....tires/mount /bal. out the door....less than 500.00(this includes 75.00 per tire/wheel labor)Actually, could've gotten another 1000 ml. on the front , I reckon I'm say'n ... the dunlops seemed to have worn pretty well....and stable have had the mighty deuce to 118 numerous times

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 02:03:18 PM »

That is a great price.  I may just need to get the Dunlops can't seem to find any other tires the same size as the ones I am running. 

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.