Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Anyone with Head Gasket Recall done, any further problems ?  (Read 3015 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: Anyone with Head Gasket Recall done, any further problems ?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 04:42:21 PM »

I just treat it as "maintenance".  I change the oil, oil filter, base gaskets and head gaskets every 5000 miles.  I'm glad I bought the extended warranty.  Fortunately I still have my old Wide Glide to ride when this one is in the shop.  Interesting to note, I had to have the base gaskets done on the Wide Glide early in it's life too (it's a 97).  Maybe Harley still hasn't gotten them right?????  You'd think in 10 years that they had upped the ante in technology a little.  I guess not.

Are they checking the heads for trueness? Cylinders for liner movement? A lot of people having gaskets done before the program keep having leaks.  Granted, HD did go through 5 or 6 versions of gaskets.  It seems that once the heat got bad enough, the heads are warped, or the cylinder liner had moved.  Either case, the newer gaskets may only buy you time /miles.  Heads are included in the program for the CUSEs only, which is baffling to many of us.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 05:13:37 PM »

My head gasket went at 7000 miles on my Ultra Classic then over the next 10,000 the rocker box gasket went, the o-ring at the case went 3 times the last straw was powder coat pealing off  cases and tranny.
To HD's credit they took bike back gave me full retail (1.5 yo/17,200 miles) towards an 09 a no brainer. Lemon law, trade whatever you want to call it I love the 09, frame and other improvements, night and day over the 08. I'm very happy with the way I was treated by my dealer throughout the hole thing and the MoCo came through too.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

usa90

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 05:46:23 PM »

Wow, I'm sorry Rooster

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 05:55:31 PM »

I just treat it as "maintenance".  I change the oil, oil filter, base gaskets and head gaskets every 5000 miles.  I'm glad I bought the extended warranty.  Fortunately I still have my old Wide Glide to ride when this one is in the shop.  Interesting to note, I had to have the base gaskets done on the Wide Glide early in it's life too (it's a 97).  Maybe Harley still hasn't gotten them right?????  You'd think in 10 years that they had upped the ante in technology a little.  I guess not.

Now that’s a coincidence. I have kept my 98 Wide Glide to ride when my high dollar ride is in the shop. I’ve put quite a few miles on the WG this summer due the queen being in the shop. Good thing that we kept the old iron!  :soapbox:
RETIRED! :fireman:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 07:05:25 PM »

After 2 dealer attempts, and us knowing more than them about the issues way back in early '07, I gave up! 3 strikes and you're out! Didn't wanna be out! So, I built an entire 110 engine for my bike! Twice! The first had some vendor component issues though. The second was built with the correct parts and seems to be holding up just as I expected it to. 12K on the second new motor now, it's runnin strong and cool with no leaks,  and I ain't looking back! After all, this chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!! FTF!!! and FTW!!! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 07:28:18 PM »

After 2 dealer attempts, and us knowing more than them about the issues way back in early '07, I gave up! 3 strikes and you're out! Didn't wanna be out! So, I built an entire 110 engine for my bike! Twice! The first had some vendor component issues though. The second was built with the correct parts and seems to be holding up just as I expected it to. 12K on the second new motor now, it's runnin strong and cool with no leaks,  and I ain't looking back! After all, this chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!! FTF!!! and FTW!!! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:

FTF!!! and FTW!!!     ;D
RETIRED! :fireman:

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 05:24:11 AM »

Took mine in last week for the recall (16,500 miles) Now it has 16,650 on it, the base gasket and rocker box gasket is leaking, I knew better than have them fix something that was not broken, but i did anyway.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 10:38:42 AM »

Took mine in last week for the recall (16,500 miles) Now it has 16,650 on it, the base gasket and rocker box gasket is leaking, I knew better than have them fix something that was not broken, but i did anyway.

Man don't you hate it when you don't listen to yourself. I do it all the time.  Good luck with the fixes.

JW

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 10:50:37 AM »

Only 7,000 miles since "improvements" completed.  So probably not a very accurate post. But I do ride hard.  No problems whatsover.  No sounds, actually very smooth, no leaks, no adverse feelings from the bike at all.  All i do is change oil on time (Red Line), let her warm up, and its not like Im redlining the bike but I ride "spirited".   

Keep my fingers crossed.  Ill update should ... when ... something occurs.  But it just feels like once the improvements completed, bike felt rock solid from then on.   

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 06:40:49 PM »

Head gaskets at 6,000 miles, 12,000 miles, and 18,000 miles. Bad crank at 18,000 miles. New Jim's engine at 18,000 miles. Crapped that engine out at 28,000 miles. I gave up and traded the bike off for another one just like it. I gotta be loosing my mind.

And me riding the bike. is just like a little old lady driving a cadillac.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 02:55:50 PM »

While the TC's and Evo's are totally different engines, the technology between the base gaskets and head gaskets is not.  I've done several of both now.

They do change the heads on the Road Kings as well.  I was just chatting on Saturday with the SM about the whole ordeal and he indicated he had several RK sets with nothing wrong that he could tell.  He wanted to be able to play witha  set or 2, but can't due to the whole warranty issue.

While I indicated that I'd had gaskets done several times, I've also had the heads replaced, cylinders replaced, base gaskets done several times, head gaskets done several times and rocker boxes clearanced.  Whatever they can get the moco to agree to, that's what's been done.

Too thin an area for the gasket to seat on, lots of heat due to EPA mandated lean running, etc, etc.  It's what we bought.  Just like the Evo, there were problems with those too.  There were more than a few that had base gasket problems.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.